• Van Dijk had been out since October with cruciate injury
• Joe Gomez also made injury comeback against Hertha Berlin
Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez have lifted Liverpool by making successful playing returns following their long-term injuries.
The centre-halves, out for much of last season with major knee injuries, made their comebacks in Liverpool’s 4-3 friendly defeat to Hertha Berlin in Austria on Thursday evening. Van Dijk and Gomez both stepped off the bench for the final 20 minutes in Innsbruck where Jürgen Klopp’s side played their second full 90-minute match of their mini-tour.
285 days ago, I started on a journey back towards playing. It’s hard to express how I am feeling, but it’s important to me that I say I feel blessed to have had the support of so many incredible people. The surgeon, my physios, coaches and staff who have been with me in my 1/2 pic.twitter.com/jdWKUHykDI
corner since day one. My teammates for giving me energy and keeping my head up. The fans for their love, support and encouragement. And most of all, my family because without them, I’d be nothing. Thank you. The work doesn’t stop now. It’s only just starting. We keep going! 2/2 pic.twitter.com/OiNLMLO44q
Related: Liverpool team pay tribute to 97th Hillsborough victim who died this week
Continue reading...

More...