Page 89 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3979828384858687888990919293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window/End of summer

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I remember thinking McManaman would never leave us for Madrid. I guess much depends on what happens post Klopp.
    McManaman was something like 28 when he left? he wasnt going to win anything with us. Its slightly different with Trent.In my opinion
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    McManaman was something like 28 when he left? he wasnt going to win anything with us. Its slightly different with Trent.In my opinion
    Yep, totally agree. Same with Owen.

Klopp has turned us into one of the best 4 or 5 teams in the world. We were only just in the top 5 or 6 teams in country back then.

I guess much depends on what happens post Klopp.

Just checking…and yes…I did say that

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Let's not forget footballers aren't as loyal these days, even if he is liverpool..... So was gerrard... yeah he didn't leave but was close, that's without crazy money being offered etc etc
    Players were only loyal in the old days because the game wasn't global like it is now. If the money was as lucrative back then as it is now, it would have been a lot different, let's not kid ourselves. Don Revie was vilified for going to the UEA when he had the England job. He was financially secure for the rest of his and his families life, no one in England could come close to doing that. He wouldn't need to go abroad if that offer was made today.

He was also on the verge of the sack because we didn't qualify for the 78 World Cup.

I remember thinking McManaman would never leave us for Madrid. I guess much depends on what happens post Klopp.
    Mcmanaman was in that early bunch who started to run their contracts down ( I think several years post Brosnam )knowing they would benefit greatly and the club would make nothing. He was a great talent but ended his days at Anfield as a twat, he still is. If I recall correctly his partner/ wife was a Spanish speaking lawyer or something along those lines. I would have no problem with him. ( or Owen ) moving to Real. It was how they both did it. Both twats IMO ( but also great talents ).

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Players were only loyal in the old days because the game wasn't global like it is now. If the money was as lucrative back then as it is now, it would have been a lot different, let's not kid ourselves. Don Revie was vilified for going to the UEA when he had the England job. He was financially secure for the rest of his and his families life, no one in England could come close to doing that. He wouldn't need to go abroad if that offer was made today.
    I think there was a lot more to it than just taking an upgrade on salary, bribery , corruption was all in the headlines at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    I think there was a lot more to it than just taking an upgrade on salary, bribery , corruption was all in the headlines at the time.
    I didn't know that, if that was the case, I understand the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I didn't know that, if that was the case, I understand the reaction.
    It was a big thing at the time. Revie was a Pariah. Old news now but probably still worth a read.

My memories of Mcmanaman are plenty of promise but little end product. Maybe he wasn't going to win anything with us but we won a few trophies soon after he'd fucked off.