Page 1 of 99 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window/End of summer

January transfer window/End of summer

We're signing fucking noone so don't fucking make it 650 pages

As requested by Joetan

Hey at least it's interesting seeing other clubs get stronger in all honesty, I guess it's good for the league in general- Must easily be the best league now? after Barcelonas demise, messi and ronaldo both not in spain anymore

Even the best players of the italian league, are mostly leaving.

in france you just have PSG, obviously they've easily got the best front 3 in the world you'd have to say, crazy.

where is the oil money, pls buy us lol

We’d win the ‘most frugal’ cup. Does that count?.

Thank God for this thread!

BBC Sport pundits have all just about written us off for this season, mainly because of our lack of signings, and not having a very strong squad.
    No pressure there then.

Thing is, no way we will be as bad as last year or have such a terrible run of injuries.
    Plus, as bad as we were last season we still only finished 5 points behind Utd and closer to City than they were to us the previous year.
    So while our rivals may be better, I have no doubt we will too.
    Sadio for example looks right back to his best and he has been so important for us.

Window’s not shut and we do have a squad who at their best won everything in a 12 month period (apart from the domestic cups) so we ain’t that bad.

So we're not getting Count Dooku or Ricardo Sanchez after all?
    Damn it all to hell!!

(*kicks grass**)

Our problem over the last several years hasn't been that we don't have a good team.
    We have a starting 11 that can compete with any team anywhere while playing our best.

Our big problem is and has always been that we don't have any squad depth or quality beyond that first eleven and any injury we suffer shows a glaring drop in quality when the replacement is miles off the starter in terms giving us the same production.
    Even bigger when it's a critical position as we saw last year with our two Center-backs and our midfield when Fabihno was forced to drop back to cover for them and then both he and eventually Hendo also got injured.

Also Klopp not having any quality options on the bench when the starters are struggling for form (like Mane, Trent and Bobby did through most of last year) adds to this - as it also speaks to squad depth.

That's the big worrying thing about us not getting any transfer business and going about this season on that hope and prayer of "...well, we got back players from the injury list, so we should be good. Or at least better than last season."
    So you're assuming we're not going to suffer any major injuries this time,.....somehow?

So far we already have two on the injury list that are not going to start the season (Robbo and Jones) - and that's not even accounting for the fact that we never replaced on of last seasons most durable and reliable starters in Gini.

I genuinely don't know what FSG's thinking is here. And while I appreciate Klopp talking a good game in front of the press speaking about how he doesn't need any new player (While we know he feels different behind the scenes), how about they stop trotting him out to the press to calm everyone's angst over their lack of transfer activity and they explain themselves for once.
    Maybe Edwards or any of the other transfer committee members should take the next one.
    For all the talk he keeps getting about being some kind of a "genius", I have seen any of that. How about he explain himself or themselves?

Perhaps we need another couple of players to get injured before the window shuts - coupled with a slow start to the season - so they can get panicked enough into some (really bad, over-priced) buys.
    Or Klopp playing Kelleher as a false nine upfront to press the point home over his lack of options, when Bobby fails to fire again.

I don't know.
    Anything.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

And the above is just a very eloquent post which absolutely sums up the reality - at least as I see it.

Great post CD

Well after UEFA new rules it’s going to become pointless anyway it’s going to be City and PSG spending what they like.

No FFP now not that it works but clubs can spend 70% of revenue and if they go over they are fined “luxury tax” which those two will gladly pay.

UEFA just inviting the ESL to comeback on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Our big problem is and has always been that we don't have any squad depth or quality beyond that first eleven and any injury we suffer shows a glaring drop in quality when the replacement is miles off the starter in terms giving us the same production.
    Even bigger when it's a critical position as we saw last year with our two Center-backs and our midfield when Fabihno was forced to drop back to cover for them and then both he and eventually Hendo also got injured
    I know I am probably viewed as being a bit...."aggressively positive".....on here.

However. From 15th of March to 23rd of May last season, our centre-backs were mainly Nat Phillips, Ozan Kabak and Rhys Williams.

10 League games played, 8 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses.

From 12th of September 2020 to 30th of December 2020 of last season, we were also pretty good, albeit with a little more flexibility, but still plenty of injuries.

16 League games played, 9 wins, 7 draws, 2 losses.

For 26-of-38 League games last season, we were really pretty good. When you consider the number of factors (fixture congestion, Klopp's mother, Alisson's father, players with Covid, unprecedented injury list) I just don't see the picture as being as bleak. 8 of the losses happened in the section of the season that lay between the 4th of January and the 7th of March - that period is the exception, not the rule.

Our centre-backs for the season to come are Van Dijk and Gomez - with Matip and Konate as depth. Yes, there will be injuries. But for us to have as bad an injury list as last season would be truly, truly rotten luck.

In midfield, even if people question the quality of them, we have 5 back-up options. Assuming that Henderson/Fabinho/Thiago is our "three" then Ox/Keita/Milner/Jones/Elliott can all "do a job" to varying degrees in there - even if 3 of those back-ups are simultaneously injured, it still leaves you with 2 others to cover should someone be out - even Minamino could, at a push, play as a no. 8 for a game or two as an emergency measure.

In attack we have Firmino/Mane/Salah and as back-up we have Jota/Minamino, perhaps Elliott, perhaps Ox based off pre-season use and perhaps Origi if he doesn't go.

Yes, rivals have strengthened, but we can only worry about ourselves and our own game are in our own hands. For about 68% of last season we were very, very respectable.

We just need to up that a bit. With rejuvenated players. Players who have had a proper pre-season. Players who will have fans urging them on. With (almost certainly) less long-term injuries. With Tsimikas/Minamino/Thiago/Jota all a bit more settled. With Jones and Elliott a bit further through their development. With a revitalised manager.

Let's see them leave it all out there on the pitch against Norwich. Then go again - see where it takes us.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay