Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window/End of summer

I wish I had your sense of optimism, Sid.
    I really really do.

Being a Liverpool FC supporter for well over 30 years will do that to you.
    Beat that naïve optimistic child out of you, senseless.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I wish I had your sense of optimism, Sid.
    I really really do.

Being a Liverpool FC supporter for well over 30 years will do that to you.
    Beat that naïve optimistic child out of you, senseless.
    Look at the positive you don’t support Everton ����

Last season was freak.

How many sides could cope with missing Trent, Virg, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago and Jota for large periods / most of the season. And all at the same time.

It's not a depth thing. You rip that many players out of the team and you're going to struggle.

You lose all players in one position and it becomes a crisis. You can't legislate for it. What happens if we lose VVD, Gomez, Matip and Konate for months at the same time again this season? Who do we blame then?

We all want new signings and to strengthen the squad and we are possibly a bit light in some areas. But we have a good squad that can cope with injuries, just not from a single position. No team could manage with that.

We'll go close again this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Look at the positive you don’t support Everton ����
    This is true,
    However, they DID beat us last season,....and at Anfield, no less.

And I can't say I'm overly confident about us getting our revenge back this season with them having Rafa at the helm there.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    This is true,
    However, they DID beat us last season,....and at Anfield, no less.

And I can't say I'm overly confident about us getting our revenge back this season with them having Rafa at the helm there.
    Well they didn’t beat us at real Anfield though just remember that !

When do we play them at home as Rafa might be gone by then.

Brazil midfielder Philippe Coutinho has been linked with a return to Liverpool from Barcelona, the club he left Merseyside to join for £142m in January 2018. Everton, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Leicester City have all been recently linked with the 29-year-old. (Liverpool Echo)

Liverpool are also said to be interested in Belgium forward Jeremy Doku from Rennes, who would likely demand about £38m for the 19-year-old. (Voetbal24 - in Dutch)

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp, however, has said the club "do not want more players". (Mail)

FSG are doing what they've always done. They are strategic about investing players. I know we should spend more - "if you stand still you fall behind" - but it doesn't seem like there are players of the calibre we need at the prices we want to pay. I'd rather we hold fire rather than buying that lad from Bournemouth or some up and coming 17 year old with 5 goals in Ligue 2.

We will not spend like City, Chelsea and Utd. We can't and if we did, it would fly in the face of a large part of the supporters values. We are almost at the other end of the spectrum. Is it sustainable? Unlikely, as players will get fatigued, injured etc BUT the owners, Klopp, the non playing staff are not idiots - there will be a couple of purchases. Maybe 1 before the transfer window shuts and possibly another in January. We have a good XI and a decent squad of 16 or 17 players.

I think we will challenge again. If we can put City under pressure (or if Chelsea can) then they tend to struggle.

I'd rather go into the season with a sense of optimism - we aren't a shit team or even close to be as weak as we were going into seasons in the past. These guys all have experience and are winners. We have yet to see the best of Thiago and Keita.

Having Jota fit and ready to play will be huge.

VVD back is massive.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    BBC Sport pundits have all just about written us off for this season, mainly because of our lack of signings, and not having a very strong squad.
    No pressure there then.
    Yet some are tipping United as winners who have a similar lack of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    Yet some are tipping United as winners who have a similar lack of depth.
    Not one ‘BBC Pundit’ has tipped United to win it but I’d imagine some ex United players are tipping them.

And I think they have far far better depth than us.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    Not one ‘BBC Pundit’ has tipped United to win it but I’d imagine some ex United players are tipping them.

And I think they have far far better depth than us.
    Yep they have had better depth than us for a while and they have kept adding genuine quality to it. Let’s hope having Ole at the wheel is enough to mask their quality.

Klopp got us there and even then we were dependent on almost zero injuries…yet still slammed on the brakes for transfers the moment a genuine trophy was won.

Different mentality. FSG were cock-a-hoop with number 6! Winning number 19 was a force of will by Klopp and the lads. Driven by missing out by a single point the year before.

If ever a team had a point to prove.. And they did it BUT the longer term cost unravelled last term. Fatigue and injury pile - that happens to stretched squads. Can’t see how this season doesn’t follow a similar pattern.

Squad is thread bare regardless of what some might say.

IF this player suddenly isn’t a sick note and IF that player goes from youth level to first team standard - and IF we can keep x and y fit…etc.

It’s good to be optimistic, definitely better on the outlook than being a sourpuss like me - but it is fanciful.

The owners have no ambition beyond reaping the TV money that comes with a Wenger like CL qualification statistic. That is clearly their goal - and it isn’t really good enough - not for a club of this stature.