Page 52 of 99 FirstFirst ... 24245464748495051525354555657585962 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window/End of summer

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Hard to disagree with that Kev and that's what I foresee too. Being risk averse is fine, just don't expect to be at the business end in a few years time when the frugality has caught up.
    It's great maximising all possible outputs etc but the major investment in top players is what makes clubs competitive, especially when you have a once in a generation manager.
    The likes of Nike walk away if you aren't at the top. Remember when they wouldnt touch us with a bardge pole and even Adidas binned us off because we were going nowhere.
    Invested heavily on 2 1st choice targets - Virgil and Alisson - and we only went and won. a Champions league and a league title in successive seasons.

Learned nothing it seems or, and more likely, don’t really care beyond the obvious upturn in merchandising and TV monies.

Counted the beans, “payed the bills” and we could be on the slide.

Even with the best manager in the world, the price of owners who see football purely as a business looks like this.

Let’s hope they wake up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Invested heavily on 2 1st choice targets - Virgil and Alisson - and we only went and won. a Champions league and a league title in successive seasons.

Learned nothing it seems or, and more likely, don’t really care beyond the obvious upturn in merchandising and TV monies.

Counted the beans, “payed the bills” and we could be on the slide.

Even with the best manager in the world, the price of owners who see football purely as a business looks like this.

Let’s hope they wake up soon.
    Indeed. I'm genuinely concerned, the thought of being on the outside looking in yet again is not something any of us would enjoy, it would be more torturous than the previous spells in the wilderness. We look increasingly like we are heading down the Arsenal road.

Let’s be avin you!

Window closes Tuesday. Klopp clearly doesn’t rate Minamino or the Ox - why didn’t he try either against 10 men when Mané was labouring?

Norwich in talks with Kabak on loan who played for ex- champions league and title winning liverpool

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    If at the start if the summer you were told hes going to be our only signing would you have been content with it?
    I wouldn't.
    No I wouldn't, and I've said it a few times on the forum over these weeks. I didn't know that Elliot was ready for the first team so that does change things but I'd still prefer to see one more signing of note. One of the points of these debates is that the club and Klopp probably did think Elliot was ready for the first team. That was part of their planning but not part of the forum's wishlist. The forum is bad at acknowledging its own shortcomings on these matters, especially if certain people think moaning endlessly makes them sound prophetic. As with all things in life, a bit of positivity is needed to actually make things work, even if it is to work against the odds. Our victories are against the odds and have always been as we were never the biggest spending club.

But the Konate signing is consistent with our current strategy - well organised signing (ahead of time), promising young footballer, looks a potentially immense addition.

Anyway, I made an honest comment about the bench and Steveo was as confident as he usually is in his knowing better. I like to work out these arguments because arguing is actually good fun. I challenged him to show me a bench that was stronger and he tried to fudge one from 18 months ago, which I found unconvincing.

Saying that we don't know how Konate will turn out is not really saying much. It would be much more interesting for someone to chime in and say 'yes, actually that bench was reassuringly strong', or 'no, I thought our bench was stronger under Rafa'. It's pretty simple if you stick to the actual conversation.

That doesn’t really equate with playing for your country. The statement suggests we have seen him play for France - and he has a full international cap.

Or did you choose to omit under 21?
    I chose to omit it. I thought this fact was well known

Naughty forum..

The strategy is deeply flawed as is your understanding of all elements involved.

Bore off

We are paying very high wages to Oxlade Chamberlain and Keita. This forum would rather have someone else taking up one or both of those slots. The outlay on their wages is part of what takes our wage spending towards the top of the range of what's sensible or acceptable, and way above many of the clubs that have a 'net-spend' higher than ours.

It is not sensible for the club to pay those wages on players that aren't being used. They know that. Klopp knows that. There are only three explanations for keeping things as they are (i.e. not selling them and not looking to replace);

1) Klopp likes the players and sees them as a part of his plans. In which case the forum is wrong

2) We can't sell them. Or the Covid conditions mean it is not likely we will sell them for a workable fee. If Keita only raises £15 million this summer but potentially £35 million next summer, that calculation has to be included in planning.

3) FSG are milking the club dry or some such conspiracy theory

Naughty forum..

The strategy is deeply flawed as is your understanding of all elements involved.

Bore off
    Short on any detail again. As the conversation develops to a point where you don't like it, you can be counted on to make these little-girlish snipes that amount to nothing but soothing your own brain.

1. Klopp likes both players so much Elliott starts v Chelsea and when they go to 10 and we can’t muster a chance neither gets a look in.

2. We won’t sell them because we won’t make a profit as nobody is willing to pay a decent fee or their wages.

3. FSG are not milking the club dry and never have as far as I know. They are not evil or bad but simply dispassionate.

No need to invent scenarios that only exist in your head.