Page 69 of 99 FirstFirst ... 195962636465666768697071727374757679 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window/End of summer

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    It takes the spotlight off us for abit but if we finish 20-25 points behind the leaders, how do you think that will look ?
    I'd be surprised and disappointed if we finished that far off the top honestly. I think we have enough to get a lot of the points available from outside the Top Four and I think the strengthening of a number of sides in the League means that nobody will run away with things.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'd be surprised and disappointed if we finished that far off the top honestly. I think we have enough to get a lot of the points available from outside the Top Four and I think the strengthening of a number of sides in the League means that nobody will run away with things.
    Other sides strengthening and you’d actually be surprised if we finish that far off top?

Our rivals for top four have new decent mangers (Spurs and Everton) made decent signing, other rivals include Leicester and West Ham who you can’t shy away from have made signings that genuinely improve their squad. Take your red tinted glasses off sid. Quality of those fighting for the title as well as depth trumps ours

Yeah I would too but its possible City/Chelsea get 95 plus points.

We have stood still so we "should" finish 3rd-4th with what we have but its a huge gamble.

I mean people will say next year we will spend but IF we finish 5th we then have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Other sides strengthening and you’d actually be surprised if we finish that far off top?
    Yes.

I appreciate that may seem counter-intuitive, but think of it this way. Let's say, for example's sake, the League will be won by Man City this season. Is it not fair to say that West Ham will be giving them more of a game than usual? Everton? Chelsea? Man United?

Think of the League winner as bearing a machete and having to chop down the growing saplings around them. It's my opinion (which could prove to be very, very wrong) that quite a few of the saplings have thicker trunks this season and thus it will be harder work for the side at the top.

I don't see the League winner getting 100 points and if we can get nearly 70 in a season with no fans in the grounds and an incredibly decimated side through injury, I don't see our own points total not improving a bit. Combine the two and I don't see another side finishing 20+ points ahead of us.

Insidious, if we get 2 long term injuried to our front 3. Then what?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Yes.

I appreciate that may seem counter-intuitive, but think of it this way. Let's say, for example's sake, the League will be won by Man City this season. Is it not fair to say that West Ham will be giving them more of a game than usual? Everton? Chelsea? Man United?

Think of the League winner as bearing a machete and having to chop down the growing saplings around them. It's my opinion (which could prove to be very, very wrong) that quite a few of the saplings have thicker trunks this season and thus it will be harder work for the side at the top.

I don't see the League winner getting 100 points and if we can get nearly 70 in a season with no fans in the grounds and an incredibly decimated side through injury, I don't see our own points total not improving a bit. Combine the two and I don't see another side finishing 20+ points ahead of us.
    Do you not see the issue I have with your post? You have admitted defeat like the rest of us with saying others will be finishing ahead of us. Isn't that disappointing to you? Are you content with us being the team that just finishes in the top four?

What a lot of you aren't getting is, and others have mentioned, we have been on top a few times and failed to bolster and improve. You should always be looking to improve on your success. Yes, we have the Same squad that won everything, but that's just like saying "I had a really good cup of milk the other day and hoping its still taste as good after it's sell by date. Some of our players have lost their Mojo, hoping they get it back is one thing, them actually doing so is another.

You're focusing on the here and now. Fair enough. Worse case scenario, we don't qualify for fourth, where does that lead us? in bigger shit than before? looking for scraps and bargains?

Again, lets see what happens come May, but I seriously have a shitty feeling about this seasons accomplishments.

Yes.

Spot on. Would have loved a Klopp chosen signing but I’m reasonably optimistic and happy…. afflictions which I share with very few on this forum. Anyway deadline looms, if nothing happens, how about we get behind the players we have. Enough moaning we are where we are, exciting young prospects drilled by Klopp. Let’s see.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    It takes the spotlight off us for abit but if we finish 20-25 points behind the leaders, how do you think that will look ?

Its ok to pot shot at United we wont be laughing for long once they remove the idiot in the dugout they will be out of sight like City/Chelsea.
    We'll be 10 points plus behind the winners. No doubt in my mind. Ten, twenty whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is FSG have shown zero intent or ambition this summer and I dare anyone to come up with any plausible counter argument.
    Utd are spending almost a million a week on wages for their 3 signings, I don't expect LFC to come somewhere near those obscene amounts but we are the complete other end of the spectrum.
    We're basically Arsenal with a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Insidious, if we get 2 long term injuried to our front 3. Then what?
    I don't want to sound like I'm belittling your question, but this situation (injuries to key players) is applicable to every side.

It would be a problem - as it would be for any team. But I think sweating on it is a massive waste of energy. The quality of our depth goes deteriorate once we leave our (roughly) "first 16" players, but it's a much lesser problem than the old one we used to have in "what if Torres gets injured?" - our current squad has serious powers of grit and recovery - we'll see what we can do if that situation presents itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Do you not see the issue I have with your post? You have admitted defeat like the rest of us with saying others will be finishing ahead of us. Isn't that disappointing to you? Are you content with us being the team that just finishes in the top four?

What a lot of you aren't getting is, and others have mentioned, we have been on top a few times and failed to bolster and improve. You should always be looking to improve on your success. Yes, we have the Same squad that won everything, but that's just like saying "I had a really good cup of milk the other day and hoping its still taste as good after it's sell by date. Some of our players have lost their Mojo, hoping they get it back is one thing, them actually doing so is another.

You're focusing on the here and now. Fair enough. Worse case scenario, we don't qualify for fourth, where does that lead us? in bigger shit than before? looking for scraps and bargains?

Again, lets see what happens come May, but I seriously have a shitty feeling about this seasons accomplishments.

Yes let’s see come may. But Klopp may have transfer targets before then , we don’t know what is happening behind the scenes. Just because we see or hear nothing does not mean that serious work is not under way.I prefer silence and then a swoop, it has not let us down in the past. Media headlines about targets is for the media and agents, grounded fans should take little notice of it.