Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 357578798081828384858687888990919295 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window/End of summer

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The mad thing is how quickly they can start to salvage what could be a wreck of a season if they just put a couple of wins together.

Norwich and Burnley, conjure a feel-good win against Spurs, suddenly the Table will look alright.

You just don't back them to do it though. Does the night get darkest before the Dawn for them or before it goes pitch f**king black?
    Have a feeling that Burnley will bully them

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I think those who go to go to Germany do so to get first team football.
    Doesn’t prevent anyone from buying them and loaning them to the Bundesliga mind.
    I think players not do that as you could end up going to 4-5 different loan clubs over 5 years.

If someone offered a higher loan fee he might be moved from say Dortmund to Moscow etc bit like a Chelsea loanee.

Bellingham is now in complete control of his future and not a big EPL team.

He probably should stay for a few more years in Germany.

Who?

Liverpool have reportedly shown an interest in Nice striker Amine Gouiri, with manager Jurgen Klopp keen on signing the French 21-year-old. (Fichajes, in Spanish)

Long term injury to Ox/Keita or both with months out could see us going into the transfer market for a CM in jan, probably not though, we'd probably have to be down to just milner and henderson...

Depends on how long elliot is out too.

There's always joe allen on loan, what's charlie adam doing nowadays? realistic targets surely?

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    "But this obsession with transfers has grown into something beyond improving the squad—beyond what new players can do for your team on the pitch. It has become a hobby tangential to the sport. For this ideology to work, you have to buy into the idea that the 26 first team players that Liverpool can currently call on have no chance of succeeding this season, but if we had only added number 27, we’d be just fine. For this ideology to work, you must assume that every transfer will be a net positive for the club—that poor transfers frequently make a squad worse is never acknowledged. For this ideology to work, you have to believe that every setback we suffer this season could have been avoided if only we’d made more signings in previous transfer windows."

Nice.

Only wish I could claim ownership. Article pretty much spot on

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Who?

Liverpool have reportedly shown an interest in Nice striker Amine Gouiri, with manager Jurgen Klopp keen on signing the French 21-year-old. (Fichajes, in Spanish)
    Ticked some of the right boxes last season certainly. Question is (given that the French League is weaker) whether or not we do the "Dortmund" thing and take the calculated gamble on the talent before their potential transfer fee rockets up, or wait (with a view to gathering more data on the player to see consistency of performance level) at the cost of an inflated fee.

If we are indeed genuinely interested.

Shocked to learn that Van Nguyen writes for Pitchfork and the Irish Times no less..

Oh the irony.

One wonders if he also speaks to his colleagues who also flit between the Irish Times and the Boston Globe. …?

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/dean-van-nguyen

"But I’ve spent the summer fascinated by this particular breed of online supporter that has mutated in the wake of the relative adversity the team faced last season after two years of stunning success. I’ve found them impossible not to observe, like they were ducks in a backyard swimming pool. At first, I couldn’t get my head around what I was seeing, but I was fairly sure it had something to do with youth culture and capitalism....

To be fair, the prominence of transfers in football culture is a problem much bigger than one small subsection of Liverpool fans. I do have some sympathy for people who fall into this obsession. Football media is saturated with transfer news. Because the money involved is so mega, there’s a lot of people financially invested in making transfers a cornerstone of the game....

If there’s one thing these extremely online fans love more than a transfer, it’s fighting Liverpool fans on Twitter. Their mantra is very much that any fan who isn’t with them, is against them. Most of this exhibits the symptoms of classic trolling behavior.....

These fans have developed a slur for the Liverpool supporters they do not like: “Top Reds.” From what I can determine, a Top Red is a person who believes the club can do no wrong. Top Reds are very much like “cancel culture,” in that they only exist in the minds of the people who complain about them. Of course, no Liverpool fan believes everything is perfect. No fan of any club believes that......

It reminds me of the odd Irish American insisting that those of us born on the island don’t know the first thing about being Irish because we don’t indulge in the same paddywhackery.....

They are extremely pessimistic. To this strand of online fan, Liverpool are already doomed to failure this season. The most important thing now is that they proved right about this. Results must plummet so there’s evidence that transfer window was a disaster and that the owners running the club into the ground. When a player gets injured, it’s a cause for celebration. Every player who has suffered at least two knocks in a calendar year is dubbed “injury prone,” and must be sold or scrapped. Our own players are fair game to abuse—currently their favourite target is Divock Origi, a cult hero among Liverpool fans if ever there was one....

There’s a bizarre obsession with a match against Atletico Madrid that took place in March 2020. This was the first significant defeat Liverpool suffered in about 14 months—a ridiculously successful run. That online fans’ minds keep returning to the one setback in a historically great period encapsulates an incapability to fathom that sometimes sport doesn’t go your way.....

There’s a gross sense of entitlement pulsing through all this: That as fans we somehow deserve new players and success. The implication being that fans of the clubs we buy the players from and defeat along the way don’t deserve nice things as much...

Again, there’s a capitalist critique to be made here. A mindset exists that demands a football club exist only to win and to consume......

I’m actually reminded of Gamergate. Football, like videogames, is mainstream culture, but buried in its darkest depts are very angry young men. They are prone to spreading conspiracy theories—journalists who don’t think like them are said to be accepting money from the club; the accounts showing we’ve the second highest payroll in the league are deemed to be cooked. There’s also a vile misogynistic element directed at Linda Pizzuti Henry, FSG shareholder and wife of the company’s principle owner, John W. Henry. Everyone operates anonymously.....

When I look at LFC Twitter, I don’t always see the emotion. These fans might present online as fans, but it’s a poor impression.....

Now, back to the sworded topic of the ownership, because I know people will call me an “FSG apologist”—a stupid expression—and this article just an attempt to delegitimize their “FSG Out” movement (such as it is). Here’s the thing: unlike most people who call for the ownership to leave, I actually have a vision for what I’d like an FSG-less version of Liverpool to look like: fan-owned. I’ve never wanted the club in the hands, and subject to the whims, of a billionaire.

There’s no such thing as an ethical billionaire, but, as much as it pains me to say this, I’ll take the capitalists over the oligarchs or nation states sportswashing away their terrible crimes

Here’s the thing: I truly believe that if Liverpool hit the lows seen in the still relatively recent past again, a lot of these fans will abscond to other clubs. Not getting what you want from football all of the time seems completely intolerable to them. But following a football club should be about ups and downs. Otherwise the ups wouldn’t mean a thing. "
    ----------------

Speaks for itself, reminds me of the team England BLM campaign in ways.

A bunch of footballers complaining about systemic racism, without calling for the introduction of quotas to balance out the over representation of blacks in the national side and the PL(unlike other select areas where this demand is made, this would impact blacks negatively of course)
    Nor calling for the removal of the homegrown rule, an actual barrier to competition based on nationality.

(TBC I don't agree with the Marxist view generally, which would see blacks removed from team England and the PL due to the colour of their skin in the name of anti-racism.)

Anyway, I like how this guy confuses capitalism as the foundation of his woes. He's complaining about online toxic fans but never mentions technological advancement, science and the interconnecting nature of recent developments for people.

Has capitalism a part in this, yes sure, capitalism is a foundation in the gloabl economy.
    But in this sense it is the minor conributor, unlike the social media sites, scientific advances in technology and of course people.
    It sounds like this persons biggest gripe is actually people who do not do as he wishes.

I'd guess from the style of writing and references that this person is typically predictable. And a quick Google search..
    "Complain to RTE and The Late Late Show about Katie Hopkins. But then make sure you don't watch the bloody thing!"

Football is toxic masculinity