Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: This Weekend’s Other Games 13/8-16/8

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    This Season's AFTV is going to be a cracker!
    Can't wait!!
    Could be a really troubling start for them.

Yes, they're missing players like Aubemeyang, Lacazaette, Gabriel and Partey. So in isolation, a result like tonight's can be forgiven. Indeed, each year prior to the fixtures coming out, I tend to cross fingers that we don't get a newly promoted side as our first match, as there's always the risk they'll be up for it and you lose points that, realistically, you'd really hope to take from them if it were November and you're in rhythm.

But anyway - Chelsea and City next for them. They run a genuine risk of losing their first three on the spin. That's bad news for any club. I'm crossing fingers that there's a reaction from them as any losses for Chelsea or City are of course good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Could be a really troubling start for them.

Yes, they're missing players like Aubemeyang, Lacazaette, Gabriel and Partey. So in isolation, a result like tonight's can be forgiven. Indeed, each year prior to the fixtures coming out, I tend to cross fingers that we don't get a newly promoted side as our first match, as there's always the risk they'll be up for it and you lose points that, realistically, you'd really hope to take from them if it were November and you're in rhythm.

But anyway - Chelsea and City next for them. They run a genuine risk of losing their first three on the spin. That's bad news for any club. I'm crossing fingers that there's a reaction from them as any losses for Chelsea or City are of course good for us.
    Yes, we probably shouldn't be laughing at them as we could face our own banana skin situation tomorrow.

Losing the first game or a couple out of the first few games is not unusual and no lesser than City themselves are perennially and notoriously slow starters to a season and yet still somehow end up either winning the league or being thereabouts challenging.

On the flip side, we really could use a strong start since we're the 'momentum-riding' sort of team, and we all just know that that January/February dip in form is always around the corner, and you want to make sure you've built up hopefully enough of a points cushion by then.
    But then again we did have a strong start last season all the way to leading the table at Christmas, only to watch it all completely and totally collapse in January and February after the injury crisis became too much to bear.

Arsenal fans are the unrivalled champions of over-reaction hence the reason AFTV is always such a great watch.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Yes, we probably shouldn't be laughing at them as we could face our own banana skin situation tomorrow.

Losing the first game or a couple out of the first few games is not unusual and no lesser than City themselves are perennially and notoriously slow starters to a season and yet still somehow end up either winning the league or being thereabouts challenging.

On the flip side, we really could use a strong start since we're the 'momentum-riding' sort of team, and we all just know that that January/February dip in form is always around the corner, and you want to make sure you've built up hopefully enough of a points cushion by then.
    But then again we did have a strong start last season all the way to leading the table at Christmas, only to watch it all completely and totally collapse in January and February after the injury crisis became too much to bear.

Arsenal fans are the unrivalled champions of over-reaction hence the reason AFTV is always such a great watch.
    Exactly mate. I’m always glad to get the opening weekend done and dusted.
    Last edited by southernboy; 14th August 2021 at 12:14 AM.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

As soon as I saw the Arsenal line up I thought Brentford would win. Having said that the second goal shouldn't have counted as Leno was being fouled and there are question marks over the first as the ball may have crossed the line for a corner instead. Where's VAR when it's actually needed?

Leeds are determined to hand this on a plate.

4 times they have given united the ball in dangerous positions due to over playing.

Hand it to them on a plate is correct, Fernandes a hat trick 4-1

Fair display of finishing. 3 assists for pogba too

Leeds to have second season syndrome?

I think Pogba realises he isn’t getting his dream big money move to PSG and starting to put in some effort. Always liked him, despite him playing for them

Rafinha has stank the place out