Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post

And the point that the squad is stronger than last season because (after just 2 games) no one is injured just leaves me thinking you have no intention of having a reasoned argument.
    I thought the squad was looking stronger before the season started -
    Returning from injury of Matip, Gomez, VanDjik, Chamberlain, Keita and the preseason utilisation of Elliot, Minamino and Tsimikas as well as the initial appearances of Konate's value all contributed to this impression.

I've said earlier I'd be disappointed if we didn't sign someone else this window but, like everyone else I now realise that would probably mean less playing time for Elliot (as well as a few others). The issue is not really how I or anyone sees the squad - we can all disagree with that - the issue is whether Klopp is lying when he expresses his own satisfaction with the resources he has available to him.

In the case of Elliot, you have still side-stepped the actual point, Miller. We aren't really going round in circles

@Sid. That's all correct in terms of replacing minutes. The issue for me is that a body doesn't replace quality. Any team can get a replacement its the quality of it that's the defining factor.
    Jones,Elliott, Thiago,Ox and Keita are not even close to bringing what Wijnaldum did.

Well I keep answering the Elliott point you keep telling me I have sidestepped the point, I’d say that was going round in circles.

Well I keep answering the Elliott point you keep telling me I have sidestepped the point, I’d say that was going round in circles.
    You keep saying you’re please he’s playing. But the point is everyone is pleased he’s playing because he looks really good. It doesn’t make you and me clever to admit that.

But that wasn’t the consensus two days ago as I pointed out. The consensus was that other teams were strengthening while we were weakening by relying on players like Elliot. That was evidence of bad planning of the squad by neglectful owners.

I then asked a straight question that no one answered. Would you prefer we spent £100 million on Grealish or would you keep Elliot?

Care to answer?

I didn’t want Grealish so I again really don’t get the point you are trying to make.
    City, Utd and Chelsea have all strengthened their squad as they see fit for them, not for us. Each squad will need bespoke improvements it’s not one size fits all.
    I want someone who is better than what we have in midfield to be first choice alongside Fabinho and Henderson now, not in a couple of years. Elliott already looks to have way more in his locker than the likes of Jones, Keita and Ox but he is still very young and when we play anyone from the top half of the Premier League we need men at the top of their game, not young talented lads coming through and finding their way in the game.

100 mil I prefer Haland or Mbappe not Gealish something

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    You keep saying you’re please he’s playing. But the point is everyone is pleased he’s playing because he looks really good. It doesn’t make you and me clever to admit that.

But that wasn’t the consensus two days ago as I pointed out. The consensus was that other teams were strengthening while we were weakening by relying on players like Elliot. That was evidence of bad planning of the squad by neglectful owners.

I then asked a straight question that no one answered. Would you prefer we spent £100 million on Grealish or would you keep Elliot?

Care to answer?
    Maybe spending 50-60 on someone like Saul? Or Bissouma when we had the chance.
    Elliott and Grealish are pretty far apart as a comparison aren't they?

I didn’t want Grealish so I again really don’t get the point you are trying to make.
    City, Utd and Chelsea have all strengthened their squad as they see fit for them, not for us. Each squad will need bespoke improvements it’s not one size fits all.
    I want someone who is better than what we have in midfield to be first choice alongside Fabinho and Henderson now, not in a couple of years. Elliott already looks to have way more in his locker than the likes of Jones, Keita and Ox but he is still very young and when we play anyone from the top half of the Premier League we need men at the top of their game, not young talented lads coming through and finding their way in the game.
    The fact that you didn't want Grealish makes this harder for you but it's still more or less irrelevant to the point, Miller.

You've said yourself that different squads need different solutions. That is not in doubt. Neither is it in doubt that fans have different opinions - I. for example, am pleased with Thiago filling the third spot in your midfield three.

The point I'm asking you to face is that Elliot was ridiculed (as our way of solving our own problems) before Saturday and not so much since Saturday. He was also compared unfavourably to the three big signings at the other three big clubs. I asked this;

Now, here's a thought experiment. Right now, today, if you were forced to make a choice, would you keep Elliot or would you prefer the club stumped up £100 million on Grealish? Be honest.

The question stands - I'm not asking how you think he vaguely fits into our squad or how well Sancho fits into Uinted's squad. I'm asking a specific question that represents the decision making faced by a club that tries to develop a squad with it's financial constraints.

In this case it leads to spending £100 on someone big and leaving out, or leaving at Blackburn, the young Harvey Eliiot. I'm sorry that the someone big is Grealish - I'm not allowing you to spend it on Haaland or Chiesa because they haven't materialised as transfers and we have been faced with negative comparisons between our activity and the the activity of our three rivals all summer.

What choice do you make? I have said that I choose Elliot.

Can I just point out here that £100 million is a lot of money in anyone's book.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Maybe spending 50-60 on someone like Saul? Or Bissouma when we had the chance.
    Elliott and Grealish are pretty far apart as a comparison aren't they?
    The point is we have chosen to go with Eliiot ahead of signing Bissouma. Do you think this is clever or neglect?

If you sign Bissouma or Saul, you are nudging Elliot out of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    The point is we have chosen to go with Eliiot ahead of signing Bissouma. Do you think this is clever or neglect?

If you sign Bissouma or Saul, you are nudging Elliot out of the team.
    If there has to be a black and white answer I'd say neglect for sure. Replacing Wijnaldum with an 18 year old inexperienced player is a joke.
    Hes not his replacement though, in terms of numbers maybe but for his position obviously not. That looks like we are hedging our bets on Jones,Keita and Ox being able to replace what we have lost. That's a risk and neglect in my opinion because none of them are anywhere near as good and certainly not as reliable or consistent.