Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games

^^ as in he fits both

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Klopp likes to bring through youth players, the ultimate bargain bucket. Its part of his actual excellence as a coach, improving players.
    I agree and that's a good thing obviously but does anyone believes Klopp turned the chance to sign a proven midfielder dien just to bring in an 18 year old he rates?
    Hes bringing him in because he's been told he aint having anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Depends - pretty marginal for me. Matip Milner and Hendo all gaining years cannot be discounted.

We also sold Ings and Sturridge left too.

I guess you could ask the question - does this Liverpool beat the Liverpool of 2019?
    Time hasn't stood still for the departed players either. Dejan, Adam and Gini. Whereas the players brought in have a better age profile, except for Thiago of course.

Ings is a useful player tbf, Sturridge, what's he up to these days ?

By 2019 you mean the 18/19 CL season or the 19/20 PL title ?

Might need to reflect more, but as it stands id say we are stronger now.

We have many of the same players at hand, a few additions through the transfer market, Gini the notable absentee, a few youth players that look employable.

If we are to spend 100 mill, are we allowed to spend it on a player other than Taliban Jack as he has signed for city and is just a hypothetical.
    Of Grealish, Lukakua and Sancho: I'd probably take Sancho.
    That's not the question though, CCTV!

The question isn't who do you fancy spending a hundred million on. We'd all love to spend that much money and it's not difficult to find decent candidates.

But the question is, since we appear to have gone for the option of Harvey Elliot, and since he has caught the imagination at this early stage of the season, what specific choice would you make to improve the squad if you had to make the decision;

Chose Elliot to solve that problem or spend seriously big money. You can have Sancho if you prefer him to Grealish.

The point is only to highlight the fickleness of the forum who have been complaining about Elliot as a viable way forward all summer. I think it's fair to point out that Klopp and the club may have been making plans other than spending £100 million and that that may actually be wise and clever.

I can't remember who has been complaining by the way - that why I asked the question openly. It's a bit of fun on a Monday morning. people seem to think I need to lighten up but I'm actually really happy with the club.

I fancy us for the title this year. Obviously lots of things can go wrong - it a very tightly contested competition. We can't control everything but that's what competition is all about. Here's to a great season where the squad is given the chance to express itself fully.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I agree and that's a good thing obviously but does anyone believes Klopp turned the chance to sign a proven midfielder dien just to bring in an 18 year old he rates?
    Hes bringing him in because he's been told he aint having anyone else.
    I think Elliot and Gini are very different players.
    Way I see it, Elliot is probably the lesser paid in wages Shaq replacement.
    In that sense, hes a young and #exciting player who could easily see as many or more minutes than Shaq.
    That's not a slight on Shaq as hed get more minutes elsewhere.

The Gini issue for me, is that Thiago ain't exactly capable of playing 6 in the same way, and doesnt have the ever present fitness record.

Our squad depth is laden with a nice footballer type Keita/Thiago/Elliot/Jones/Taki
    Think we need an extra shit kicker myself, Milner/Fabinho/Hendo sufficing in order.

If we dont sign such a player, perhaps Klopp is thinking of utilising Gomez/Konate at 6 if needed.
    There's still a bit of time left in the window.

Time hasn't stood still for the departed players either. Dejan, Adam and Gini. Whereas the players brought in have a better age profile, except for Thiago of course.

Ings is a useful player tbf, Sturridge, what's he up to these days ?

By 2019 you mean the 18/19 CL season or the 19/20 PL title ?

Might need to reflect more, but as it stands id say we are stronger now.

We have many of the same players at hand, a few additions through the transfer market, Gini the notable absentee, a few youth players that look employable.
    Sold Brewster too - so we have allowed the squad to age a bit.

I think our best team was 2018/19 - the title year we looked gassed by late Feb - I believe the pandemic break helped stem the slide a little. The title was all but won though - and what desire to do that....but we haven't looked quite the same side to my eye at least - since the 2018/19 season. We were superb mentality monsters in the title year and scored some amazing last-minute winners....but think the squad was already starting to look a little stretched.

It's way too early to judge Elliot. I'm optimistic but he's had one good game against a team that will hopefully be relegated.

We had a strong squad this time last season. I don't expect us to have anything like the same injury problems again (touchwood), but the squad strength will be tested.

I would definitely like to see an experienced midfielder added before the window closes.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

I think Elliot and Gini are very different players.
    Who would you say, in all of world football, is closest to Wijnaldum as a player?

There aren't many. I doubt Klopp thinks in these terms

I'd like us to sign Camavinga, but someone above said you can't go forward with 18 year olds. Maybe you can

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    That's not the question though, CCTV!

The question isn't who do you fancy spending a hundred million on. We'd all love to spend that much money and it's not difficult to find decent candidates.

But the question is, since we appear to have gone for the option of Harvey Elliot, and since he has caught the imagination at this early stage of the season, what specific choice would you make to improve the squad if you had to make the decision;

Chose Elliot to solve that problem or spend seriously big money. You can have Sancho if you prefer him to Grealish.

The point is only to highlight the fickleness of the forum who have been complaining about Elliot as a viable way forward all summer. I think it's fair to point out that Klopp and the club may have been making plans other than spending £100 million and that that may actually be wise and clever.

I can't remember who has been complaining by the way - that why I asked the question openly. It's a bit of fun on a Monday morning. people seem to think I need to lighten up but I'm actually really happy with the club.

I fancy us for the title this year. Obviously lots of things can go wrong - it a very tightly contested competition. We can't control everything but that's what competition is all about. Here's to a great season where the squad is given the chance to express itself fully.
    I think if we have a good season with injuries we'll win the league. We still have the best team imo. The squad look like they enjoyed their summer breaks.

In honesty, I'd probably only want us to sign Halaand or Mbappe for that money and pay them a vast fortune in wages.

I've been quite upbeat since I saw elliot play first for lfc. Had noticable qualities, particularly his dribbling, drive and control of the ball.
    Was hoping his loan would see him develop some end product at the senior level and his development has kind of gone as good as it can. Now it looks like he has the opportunity to train and develop here.

I guess the Tsunami you are rallying against is the net spend tables. At a guess Leeds united have now gotten a larger net spend than Real Madrid over the last 5-6 seasons. Their second year in the PL.

Our squad overhaul has been so good under Klopp, the low net spend is irrelevant.
    But I can also see the frustration of fans when they dont see the same levels of investment.

Being a low net spend tugger, I can see the value in our frugal approach.
    Lets pretend elliot comes good, real good, and we sign Mbappe on a free transfer.
    Wed have a new front 3 for less in transfer fees than the current front 3 cost. Amazing.

But at the same time, it's hard to ignore that the 2 biggest signings in the club's history and by some distance given their positions have had an amazing impact on the side.
    So when fans want to see a repeat of this trick, I can understand their views.