Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Who would you say, in all of world football, is closest to Wijnaldum as a player?

There aren't many. I doubt Klopp thinks in these terms
    That's a very tough question, I dont watch enough football to have a good candidate.

Hes a shit kicker, good engine, always fit and tidy on the ball without being a midfield maestro.

There are players that remind me of Gini in one way, but then fail to match up in other ways.
    At a wild guess maybe that locatelli fella fromthe euros.

In terms of what Klopp thinks.
    I think our squad is best suited to a 4231.
    Klopp is adamant on playing 433.

In a 4231 we are a bit light for the 2 imo, Fab/Hendo essentially one has to be available ideally.
    Milner/Thiago/Keita partnerable players, not sure about Jones in a 2. Seems more a fit for the 3.

In klopps 433 the team seems a bit light on the shit kicking element.

The 4231/433 setups aren't miles apart. Either system tends to have a 6 and a shit kicker in the starting line up.
    We are a bit light on the 6/shitkicker for me, maybe Klopp intends to use other positions as cover like last year with 6/shitkickers playing CB to cover for the cb injuries

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post

But at the same time, it's hard to ignore that the 2 biggest signings in the club's history and by some distance given their positions have had an amazing impact on the side.
    So when fans want to see a repeat of this trick, I can understand their views.
    True but Gerrard, TAA, Robbo, Salah and many others have had equal impact. It's the single minded argument that gets tiresome. Every football fan wants to see big signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Sold Brewster too - so we have allowed the squad to age a bit.

I think our best team was 2018/19 - the title year we looked gassed by late Feb - I believe the pandemic break helped stem the slide a little. The title was all but won though - and what desire to do that....but we haven't looked quite the same side to my eye at least - since the 2018/19 season. We were superb mentality monsters in the title year and scored some amazing last-minute winners....but think the squad was already starting to look a little stretched.
    To date Brewster hasn't done anything of note. So his absence doesn't count for much imo. Wasnt doing anything in the senior side back then. Good sale so far.

Pl title meant more but I'd agree 18/19 was a better season of play.

On paper I think we look a bit stronger this year. Just a feeling, but I think our lads look rejuvenated. Contracts been signed, allowed to return to their homelands/families I believe and finished last season strongly.

True but Gerrard, TAA, Robbo, Salah and many others have had equal impact. It's the single minded argument that gets tiresome. Every football fan wants to see big signings.
    Whilst Jurgen is undoubtedly a media savvy football manager, I think one can read through the lines at times and hear a message to fans and the media that goes as such...

Will yis ever fook off talking about transfers, millions spent etc.
    Just fook off with yoursleves for a few mins and leave me identify players and build a fucking team through tactics, training and desire.

Of course Klopp hasn't said those exact words, but at times hes has a few utterances close to the mark, but more nuanced.

We also have a full stadium this year. A minor influence

The way I see it our strategy in terms of signings comes down to 3 groups.

The bargain basement:
    Robbo, Taki, Tsimi, Matip, Milner around 10 mill or less. Including players like Elliott, Gomez or actual youth academy productions like Trent and Jones.

The middle range: 10-40 mill
    Salah, Firmino, Mane, Gini, Ox types. Established already, shone in some regard prior to arriving.

The top end: Virgil & Alisson world record transfers for their positions. Fabinho & Keita lower end of this range, but midfielders for this price need to make an impact for the investment. Jota technically in this camp, but I'd place him more with MFS.
    Naby hasn't done it yet. The other 3 in this bracket have made an impact. As has Jota.

Think it's reasonable enough to expect to see all tiers being used over 2 seasons say .
    Given our position we will have few opportunities to spend big like other clubs at the top of the game.

Who would you say, in all of world football, is closest to Wijnaldum as a player?

There aren't many. I doubt Klopp thinks in these terms
    Saul Niguez. Can play as a defensive and attacking mid. Fee not the issue, looks like his wage demands are though.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Given our position we will have few opportunities to spend big like other clubs at the top of the game.
    Like, for example, Barcelona.

The other thing none of us really understand is the financial effects of the covid response, which is by no means guaranteed to be finished, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    @Sid. That's all correct in terms of replacing minutes. The issue for me is that a body doesn't replace quality. Any team can get a replacement its the quality of it that's the defining factor.
    Jones,Elliott, Thiago,Ox and Keita are not even close to bringing what Wijnaldum did.
    I hear you, I do. I'd reiterate that in terms of "replacing" it can (potentially, nothing is certain) be done in the aggregate.

I'm not too worried about buying/finding players so much as I am about buying/finding results. I can foresee certain players having a fire lit under their bums desperate to hold down a midfield spot playing out of their skins in the knowledge there's a queue behind them. They won't outperform Gini's best performances week-in, week-out, but they won't need to.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

West Ham won’t be an easy away fixture at all this season. Impressive what moyes has done there. Looks like he’s developed a fondness for all the pies too.