Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games

But I am not moaning that he is a year older. You are just saying that I am.

Taksin can you not see that the two things are quite different.?

I am simply saying that with the additions we have made and those who have departed....allied to the progress of time....we are not improving the squad by any tangible degree year on year. I worry that our rivals are doing what we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I made the point about being very happy with young Harvey being promoted into the first team squad
    But that's not the point, is it, Miller

Everyone is happy with him today, aren't they. But 2 days ago he was being used as evidence of neglect. These two positions are inconsistent.

What you believe about Elliot reveals whether you think the squad is being tended to and those planning it know what they are doing.

You haven't addressed this, whether you and I agree or not on the conclusions.

Fully agree with Miller and Steveo here. Nobody is advocating or even suggesting reckless transfer fees. Just atleast a like for like replacement of a player who was a massive part of our successs and not relying on 2 injury prone players who in terms of comparing them to Wijnaldums contribution are frankly shite and couldn't lace his boots.

At the end of this season it may well turn out to be the right thing and Elliott sets the world on fire etc but it's a massive risk. Chelsea and City have done what they should do ( ignore the fee, its the intent that's key) and build on what they've achieved by adding top end quality which will make a difference to their season.
    Have we done that? Id say No right now. Konate might not play much at all, investing for the future is great but maintaining your momentum when you are/were at the top is just as important.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

I am simply saying that with the additions we have made and those who have departed....allied to the progress of time....we are not improving the squad by any tangible degree year on year. I worry that our rivals are doing what we are not.
    You're free to worry. Every football fan worries about their team, including Chelsea fans.

But you do more than just worry on here, don't you..

I think the squad is looking stronger this year than last year, especially without the injuries. So I disagree. Henderson's age is not evidence for the decline of the squad, it is evidence for it coming into its peak.

If you can’t understand the point I can’t help you Taksin.

What part of “I am happy with Harvey Elliott being promoted to the first team squad but feel we’re still one light,” is proving so difficult to digest?

I’ll leave it with you mate, we’re going round in circles.

And the point that the squad is stronger than last season because (after just 2 games) no one is injured just leaves me thinking you have no intention of having a reasoned argument.
    Last edited by miller0863; 23rd August 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Not saying that you are a xenophobe at all - in fact, I think it is quite clear you are anything but Sid.

I am questioning HOW you reach these conclusions about owners of other clubs seemingly so flippantly when by your own admission you don't read papers.
    Thank you for that clarification.

"I don't read the newspapers because they all have ugly print" is a song lyric from a DJ Shadow track called "Six Days". You took me literally - not that there's anything wrong in that.

I discussed (at length) my political stances about America at length before when we were linked with a Chinese takeover before. It was an exhausting conversation that accomplished nothing so won't be deep-diving into a repeat on a Football forum with folks I've not met in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    You're free to worry. Every football fan worries about their team, including Chelsea fans.

But you do more than just worry on here, don't you..

I think the squad is looking stronger this year than last year, especially without the injuries. So I disagree. Henderson's age is not evidence for the decline of the squad, it is evidence for it coming into its peak.

Nobody mentioned a "decline" in the squad either Taksin so again you argue against your own misunderstanding of what others are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Thank you for that clarification.

"I don't read the newspapers because they all have ugly print" is a song lyric from a DJ Shadow track called "Six Days". You took me literally - not that there's anything wrong in that.

I discussed (at length) my political stances about America at length before when we were linked with a Chinese takeover before. It was an exhausting conversation that accomplished nothing so won't be deep-diving into a repeat on a Football forum with folks I've not met in the flesh.
    Sorry didn't get the lyric thingy - seriously thought you were saying you didn't read the papers.. Nuff said

Nobody mentioned a "decline" in the squad either Taksin so again you argue against your own misunderstanding of what others are saying.
    people mention not replacing departed players all the time
    people mention standing still and resting on our laurels all the time
    people mention not updating the ageing squad all the time

but, in the context of this minor discussion, people have used Elliot as a point of ridicule all summer. It's simple point

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Fully agree with Miller and Steveo here. Nobody is advocating or even suggesting reckless transfer fees. Just atleast a like for like replacement of a player who was a massive part of our successs and not relying on 2 injury prone players who in terms of comparing them to Wijnaldums contribution are frankly shite and couldn't lace his boots.
    Am at work and on a Smartphone here so can't Google multiple sets of games missed/injuries to back up what I want to say, so bear with.

The major issue with any Wijnaldum discussion is that people don't agree on the off - there's the camp that see Thiago as the "replacement" acquired ahead of his departure and those saying Wijnaldum needs replaced. That in itself causes an issue.

As to replacing him. I don't think it's necessarily about a player or players. His appearances can be "replaced" in the aggregate. Last year's injury crisis was absolutely mental and you have to look at how many times we had things going on such as Fabinho and Henderson being taken out of midfield in addition to all the injuries to individuals and Covid.

Wijnaldum makes 38 League appearances (probably mostly/all starts - can't check ATM) and 51(?) appearances total. Elliott (even though not a new signing) is a new body in the midfield depth.

So we need to find 38-51 appearances in aggregate terms across Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Jones and Elliott - aka we need an average of 7 or so extra appearances, bearing in mind that (on average) our chances of having less days missed by players out injured is quite high.

Elliott will be getting minutes (wasn't last year) and the plan will be to develop Jones further. Couple these two with the appearances from Milner/Henderson/Thiago/Fabinho/Keita/Ox and I genuinely think it will be alright - but we can (and should) assess it at the half-way point of the season and at its conclusion.

In short, we'll see.