Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games

Until precisely 2 days ago, we had a long summer of sarcastic comments about how our pathetic club was relying on Harvey Elliot to go forward whereas the serious clubs were investing £100 million in Grealish, Sancho and Lukaku.

Now, all of a sudden, it looks like our club (and by club I mean the manager, the backroom staff and the hierarchy) may have been planning well. Time will tell. But they have information that moaning forum armchair CEOs don't. They invested at a crucial moment in his career, they had foresight, they loaned him out, bided their time, monitored his progress and decided he was going to be an important addition. What did he cost, £7 million?

Now, here's a thought experiment. Right now, today, if you were forced to make a choice, would you keep Elliot or would you prefer the club stumped up £100 million on Grealish? Be honest.

If, like me, you'd take your chances with Elliot, then you are probably a pussy and should admit it. The world would be a better place if that happened..

If you choose Elliot then you have to admit that transfer spend figures are not everything and we have to measure the success of club organisation by other means.

To play devil’s advocate here, you are suggesting that we replace two seasoned internationals, the best in their position for their relative countries, with an 18 year old lad (full of potential though he is) with one season with Blackburn Rovers under his belt.
    At a time when our main rivals for the big prizes have all invested heavily in improving their first 11, while we look like finishing the window with an overall profit of around £12m.

That is the argument, not how our owners and others earned their relative wealth.
    No one is advocating reckless spending.

Personally I would be happy with bringing one in and promoting Harvey Elliott to the first team squad.

That's not the argument, Miller, no

The argument is that they all brought in one very expensive attacker and we did too (he was at Blackburn last season). You will admit the prospect of that being our strategy was ridiculed all summer (you've returned to the net spend thing but that is circular reasoning given the point I'm making) Is it still considered ridiculous? What's your view?

If you want to open up the argument you'll have to factor in the heavy investment made this summer in retaining our existing players and you will have to explain why the additions of Jota, Thiago and Konate are routinely ignored when complaining about our lack of investment in players. It's as if they don't exist. But I'd rather keep the point narrow here, if you don't mind.

And the crucial loss of Lovren and the loss of Lallana and this summer Wijnaldum don't register for you?

Seriously - we keep players and that's a new signing - We sign players and they are new signings - we sell players and they disappear from the equation. Hmm

It's great that Elliott is getting minutes - you think he will replace Gini - good luck on that. The fact is we are not improving the squad year on year and our rivals are.

Alternatively, we have a well planned squad or we have a badly planned squad.

One argument uses net spend and now this kind of selective totting up of ins and outs (how do we fit Tsimikas into your system? Is he good or bad as of today?). The other looks at the squad and judges whether the manager is pleased with his options.

Henderson and Milner a year older - Matip, Keita and Ox a year older too and more likely to face lay off than ever before. Thiago is no spring chicken. Front line is still short IMO and the midfield looks decidedly delicate, to say the least.

If we invest at a similar level to 2018 just once since summer 2019 we are in a different place altogether. It surely would not have broken the bank for a club that took the Champions League and the league title in successive seasons.

That's all

Heavy investment in wages, securing our best assets, largely subsidised by Wijnaldum and Shaqiri coming off the wage bill.
    Konate is replacing Lovren and his wages, a season late but that’s what it amounts to.
    Why do you constantly ignore players leaving to further your argument? It’s pretty transparent.

Think I know what my argument is Taksin but thank you for helping me with that.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Heavy investment in wages, securing our best assets, largely subsidised by Wijnaldum and Shaqiri coming off the wage bill.
    Konate is replacing Lovren and his wages, a season late but that’s what it amounts to.
    Why do you constantly ignore players leaving to further your argument? It’s pretty transparent.

Think I know what my argument is Taksin but thank you for helping me with that.
    But you have sidestepped the Elliot question, which was the point I was making

There you go ignoring what someone says in discussion with you. I made the point about being very happy with young Harvey being promoted into the first team squad but I feel we are still one light and no, Kane Gordon is not ready to replace a 29/ 30 year old international.

This is my opinion Taksin, I am well aware of the fact being argued on both sides, you are welcome to your opinion but don’t expect everyone to agree with it.

When talking about investing in the squad we are playing a completely different game you our main three rivals, surely we all accept that. But to not invest what you can in your playing staff and by that I mean in refreshing the squad, there is only one way that will end.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Henderson and Milner a year older
    People use this kind of argument all the time. They are all a year older than last year ffs.

This argument is essentially moaning. Nothing more and nothing less.

Do you want Henderson in the squad? Yes
    Do you think he will play a lot this season, injuries permitting? Yes
    Do you think he is a key part of Klopp's plans? Yes

Then why are you moaning about him being older? We can't change his age. We just have to build a squad around these facts of nature. Salah is getting old too but he is still a player that any football fan in the world would give their eye teeth to have in their team. Can we act with a little gratitude for how good we have it rather than pure pessimism?

I don't want Lukaku in our team. I'd much rather have Firmino, thanks.