Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match goers v tv / armchair watchers

Just ignore the clown he'll soon get bored

He needs to get some entertainment in his sad, boring old little life with all his money he's got, bless him, what a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Just ignore the clown he'll soon get bored

He needs to get some entertainment in his sad, boring old little life with all his money he's got, bless him, what a waste.
    Hee hee another knob joins the thread.

He’s actually asked an interesting and fair question.

It’s not about being a real fan or not. It’s about the difference between watching the game in the ground or on telly.

A very fair question, asked politely.

His title said it all.

Also I think most of us are basing it on Things such as the last 30mins vs Chelsea - something that happens time and time again and had not been fixed this window. Atletico last season (with fans) etc.

Conversely you can argue someone watching the game at his seat doesn't see the full picture. Do you think managers are all, 'I saw the game from The best 'seat' in the stadium I know this perspective is better than watching a replay or highlights'
    Well actually, with some Managers like big Sam maybe they do!

As long as you're not regurgitating some crappy anti lfc pundits drivel, I think more members here accept all perspectives.

"Also seem to think we are a one trick team unable to break down teams."

How many games we failed to do that last season? Or should I go to specsavers ?

It was horrible to watch at times, so i'm not sure how you can deny that.

There's being to much gloom I get that, but also overly positive, how can you be with recent transfer windows and the squad aging and aging, we deserve more than this we're not a small club are we?

And comparing what people say at the match, or shout is a bit different to the forum, it's not like someone is going to shout a speach is it? and yes i've been to games myself, you get the "small talk" with the shouting, but yeah, it's hard to know what other people think, unless you talk to the few people around you, even then that's a smallish circle...

I'm glad some people seem happy if we risk coming 5th or worse though, by not improving much at all while everyone else does, top match going reds init. In fact I think we're worse off losing Wij, and to a lesser extent shaqiri, and just bringing in Konate, I suppose elliot is a big plus.

Imagine people wanting to challenge for the title again sometime this century, or win anything, how dare they.

Rightly or wrongly, we missed a huge chance to stay on top after winning the league / champions league.... in my opinion, and since then the windows have been getting worse and worse... and oh look, we seem to be falling down the table, (to soon to say due to injury's last season) but we shall see this season.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 1st September 2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    "Also seem to think we are a one trick team unable to break down teams."

How many games we failed to do that last season? Or should I go to specsavers ?

It was horrible to watch at times, so i'm not sure how you can deny that.

There's being to much gloom I get that, but also overly positive, how can you be with recent transfer windows and the squad aging and aging, we deserve more than this we're not a small club are we?

And comparing what people say at the match, or shout is a bit different to the forum, it's not like someone is going to shout a speach is it? and yes i've been to games myself, you get the "small talk" with the shouting, but yeah, it's hard to know what other people think, unless you talk to the few people around you, even then that's a smallish circle...

I'm glad some people seem happy if we risk coming 5th or worse though, by not improving much at all while everyone else does, top match going reds init. In fact I think we're worse off losing Wij, and to a lesser extent shaqiri, and just bringing in Konate, I suppose elliot is a big plus.

Imagine people wanting to challenge for the title again sometime this century, or win anything, how dare they.

Rightly or wrongly, we missed a huge chance to stay on top after winning the league / champions league.... in my opinion, and since then the windows have been getting worse and worse... and oh look, we seem to be falling down the table, (to soon to say due to injury's last season) but we shall see this season.
    Thanks for a welcome and respectful reply.I am positive, perhaps overly so. I have stated that in my opinion our attack suffered last year due to necessary changes to style of play due to injuries. Yes it may not have been so had we bought big in central defence. But had we bought big what would we be doing now with Gomez and ,Matip. Put them on the bench or put the big signings ( which we didn’t make) on the bench.Klopp has made it known many times that he prefers a smaller squad. Yes we were down to the bare bones last season but we now have Van Dijk, Gomez Matip, konate , Tsimikas and Elliot, and perhaps to a lesser extent Ox and Keita fit. That’s 8 top players, all , I think , Klopps players now available and fit. I just don’t think it is feasible to just spend big without considering what your plans are when big players return to fitness.They won’t be happy (or shouldn’t be) sitting on the bench so you can easily end up with disharmony and a revolving door of players. A situation which Klopp would not like. We have spent quite a bit on extended contracts for most of our star players and hence my optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by toshin View Post

Conversely you can argue someone watching the game at his seat doesn't see the full picture. Do you think managers are all, 'I saw the game from The best 'seat' in the stadium I know this perspective is better than watching a replay or highlights'
    Well actually, with some Managers like big Sam maybe they do!

Indeed. Tv viewers, it could be argued, see more than Jurgen himself. Managers often say they couldn’t tell if it was a penalty, don't they.

But that wouldn’t be the end of the argument as people disagree after seeing it from every angle. And one thing you miss if your not at the game (in a relatively close position) is the live dynamic and even the sound of the clash. These things actually count for a lot.

But I think the question is fair. Does someone who goes to the game learn to see things differently to, say, an ardent fan based in Thailand? Yes is my opinion. There is a culture that you learn from being at the match. You are constantly reminded of how big the thing is and that you are lucky to have entered into it. You learn what to respond to as a Liverpool fan in particular and when to support against the odds. These are real things.

Klopp, by the way, seemed pleased with the way we played against Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Indeed. Tv viewers, it could be argued, see more than Jurgen himself. Managers often say they couldn’t tell if it was a penalty, don't they.

But that wouldn’t be the end of the argument as people disagree after seeing it from every angle. And one thing you miss if your not at the game (in a relatively close position) is the live dynamic and even the sound of the clash. These things actually count for a lot.

But I think the question is fair. Does someone who goes to the game learn to see things differently to, say, an ardent fan based in Thailand? Yes is my opinion. There is a culture that you learn from being at the match. You are constantly reminded of how big the thing is and that you are lucky to have entered into it. You learn what to respond to as a Liverpool fan in particular and when to support against the odds. These are real things.

Klopp, by the way, seemed pleased with the way we played against Chelsea.
    I agree. It’s not that match going fans are top fans, whatever that implies. All I can say is that I regularly take avid fans of different teams to the match, most are from Merseyside but don’t go to watch their team “ live” many have never been to a top league or premiership game. Virtually all of them comment that it is a totally different perception of the game than seeing it on tv. It’s not simply the atmosphere but the speed, runs off the ball, tracking, etc, that is often not picked up on tv. Milner is a case in point, the mileage he covers is phenomenal and yet is often not apparent on tv.

I think when you’re at the match unless it’s a really poor performance you are wrapped up in the urge to support the team whereas at home your on the forum chatting while watching and the negatives tend to over shadow the positives unless it’s an outstanding performance. Like we were ok last weekend. Probably should have won the game. The negativity IMO stems from the fear of slipping down the table while apparently not doing much to prevent that happening. In reality it’s all just opinion and guess work. Jurgen and the team have proven doubters wrong time and again. I don’t think too much can be read into it. Most forums are heavily negative while discussing their own team in my experience.

Huyrob, how do you watch away matches ?