Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 28313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread : Liverpool v Man City

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Everton
    Nicely done
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Just a reminder that despite not having our captain or a single senior Centre-back during our last 10 games of the 2020/21 season we took 26 points from 30, dropping 4.

So far this season with 7 games we have 15 from 21 dropping 6.

Look what happened when we stole from Peter to pay Paul - moving Fab and Hendo to CB positions last term. We got drop kicked.

The midfield is so crucial. We haven’t had a great one for a long time BUT it was serviceable and they worked tirelessly. Hendo’s lack of technique is going to be exposed with ruthless fashion without Gini to bail him. We need Thiago back ASAP.. without him where is that tight knit passing and control coming from? If Thiago ain’t there you are relying on Hendo and Fab and one from Jones or Keita…?

Jones is good but young and raw. He was tasked with being the sole creator yesterday - it made it easy for City. We have a problem and it sits slap bang in the middle of our game.

Absolutely right Steveo. It was always going to be a big problem despite what some were thinking. What we had was never going to be enough after letting Wijnaldum go, in fact it wouldn't have been enough had he stayed as the midfield needed quality adding to it anyway.

They're fine margins to be fair to the side.

Of the 6 points dropped, 4 of them go missing to last season's Champion's League finalists. Neither Chelsea or Man City beat us in the 2 games, which I'll take, much as I would have loved wins.

Some would argue that we're a Fabinho split second reaction away from a 3-2 v Man City and a poor Salah finish from going 4-2 up against Brentford. Others will say we're in deep Didgeridoo without Mo.

Of the 114 points available, those that come against sides not named Man City, Man United or Chelsea amounts to 96 - they're still the points I'm most focused on and we have dropped 2 of those, from the available 15. I think getting 80-from-96 is a good target and of Man City/Chelsea/Man United I'd be targeting Ole's side as the one we can hopefully get 4 points from.

Even 6 points (6 draws, or 3 draws and a win) from the "top" sides plus 80/96 would get you 86 points this season - we'd be bloody close with that. We could lose to Chelsea and Man City (but get a win and a draw v Man United) and get those 6 points, as an example.

Will be a challenge but I think it's a very achievable target.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Keeping an eye on your calculations Sid, as we have regained the 2 points dropped against Brentford by drawing with two from the top 4. So we are still on course for 96.

But Sid to be fair - 2 of those 4 points you mention were at Anfield...in a game where v 11 Chelsea men we were second best then against 10 Chelsea men we still managed to concede the best chances.

Only got on the score sheet with the penalty too.

It's a decent return after 7 games - nobody would argue that but when tested we have dropped points and conceded too many goals. Would not have been like this IMO had Gini been here or a quality replacement brought in - I am convinced.
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th October 2021 at 09:32 AM.

I think its fair to say City or Chelsea are going to coast it.

The money those two can chuck makes a huge difference you might finish above them once/twice in 10 years but thats it.

If City had a proper striker they'd walk it that is why Chelsea have a sniff.

Im not concerned as I expected us to finish 3rd/4th anyway our best chance is the CL for a major trophy.

Some will say its negative its a reality though its not just in this country either all major leagues are dominated 90% of the time by money

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    at Anfield...in a game where v 11 Chelsea men we were second best
    I disagree.

They scored a lucky goal against the run of play. We still had the momentum that enabled us to equalise

I do agree that the midfield did not perform well yesterday, by the way.

Even then we were unlucky not to win as their goal required a big deflection to go in

There's no sign at the moment indicating that they will coast it. We have yet to lose this season, we will be there at the end.