Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 81112131415161718192021222324252868 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Here to Give Mo Salah Whatever the f#*k

I think Mo wants MBappe, Chiesa or another top forward added to the mix and a midfielder or two also, he wants to stay, but he wants to stay with Liverpool competing at the very top and being the best possible Liverpool in Jurgen's last 2 seasons and FSG matching his ambitions
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

This is so simple. So then IF he has managed to win so much despite a relative failure to live up to his potential on the pitch - why use it as a vehicle to sell staying at Anfield for less money than Salah or his agent wants..?
    Because, to use your own words, his career went down the toilet when he left.

So simple

I’m not sure if having medals is a compensation for going down the toilet in your book, but I doubt it is in any self respecting footballer’s. And, as I mentioned earlier, Mo has already seen how being at the wrong club can hold you back.

You’re the one bringing up running of the club versus Klopp doing everything that’s good. There’s no need for it in this debate. I get the feeling these days you’ll do anything to maintain your position that this club is going nowhere - that seems to be where all these contradictions come from

By the way, ‘give Mo what he wants’ is a silly statement. It’s good fun and everything but I doubt we’d say that that even about Messi, and Barcelona couldn’t. They also realised they overstepped the mark with that kind of enthusiasm many times in recent years and paying the price for such exuberance looks to have no end in sight.

Since when has ‘give him whatever his agent wants’ been a respectable thing to say?

There’s a negotiation. Hopefully we can offer him something attractive, including the fact that he’s doing really well here and probably better off here all things considered.

Coutinho was good, but not close to walking Iniesta’s walk.
    Not the same type of player at all for me, different skills sets, the player Xavi needs to be looking at, if he wants a player to be his Iniesta that is, is Bernado Silva, he's the most Iniesta type going
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

And that is part of the problem and a key component as to why Coutinho has derailed. Barca were desperate to replace Iniesta and tried to shoehorn him into that very alien role, just one in a series of huge mistakes Barca have made in recent years.

Xavi has a different problem now to that which Barca were trying to solve in 2017/18.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Because, to use your own words, his career went down the toilet when he left.

So simple

I’m not sure if having medals is a compensation for going down the toilet in your book, but I doubt it is in any self respecting footballer’s. And, as I mentioned earlier, Mo has already seen how being at the wrong club can hold you back.

You’re the one bringing up running of the club versus Klopp doing everything that’s good. There’s no need for it in this debate. I get the feeling these days you’ll do anything to maintain your position that this club is going nowhere - that seems to be where all these contradictions come from

By the way, ‘give Mo what he wants’ is a silly statement. It’s good fun and everything but I doubt we’d say that that even about Messi, and Barcelona couldn’t. They also realised they overstepped the mark with that kind of enthusiasm many times in recent years and paying the price for such exuberance looks to have no end in sight.

Since when has ‘give him whatever his agent wants’ been a respectable thing to say?

There’s a negotiation. Hopefully we can offer him something attractive, including the fact that he’s doing really well here and probably better off here all things considered.
    I have already stated in this very thread that we can’t just give him literally whatever he wants, but to lose him without making concessions would also be daft. As I understand it he isn’t asking for mega bucks.

The point you seem unable to grasp while continuously falling into the Coutinho trap is that moving to a big club on the continent can offer more chances to win more of the big prizes. This is the point. As milller has suggested Salah is asking IF the club can match HIS ambition. Some players leave and perform and win the big prizes like Suarez - some leave and don’t perform like Coutinho but they too seem able to win the big prizes. Capish?

No, I obviously can grasp that. The reason we’re still arguing is because you intervened to suggest Coutinho may have actually improved his career when he left. Whereas I, and others, cited him as a cautionary tale, especially for someone currently playing some of the best football that’s being played anywhere.

The idea that we should ‘make concessions’ is a million miles away from giving his agent what he wants. If you’d asked me whether we should make concessions there would be no argument as making concessions is inevitable on both sides, even if FSG were as inept as you think they are

I’ve already said I think it’s great if he’s asking for assurances of the clubs ambition - this argument is due to your insistence that Coutinho did well when he left (and probably your belief that the club don’t have the ambition to keep Salah, which is currently a biased speculation)

Yet again there is no argument.

You cannot get past the fact that two seemingly conflicting truths can and do regularly exist.

Coutinho has won more titles since leaving than he did while he was at Anfield. It is 9:0.

I said despite his poor form he could console himself with that fact.

You don’t like it because it wrecks the cautionary tale.

You said this too. On an achievements stat he looks to have done “wonderfully well.”

Personally I think it’s a stretch to say that it happens “all the time.” We have people citing 1 CL win for Traore and 1 for Biscan or whoever - BUT 9… N N N N NINE… is a fairly exceptional amount since leaving in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    You don’t need to prove Coutinho has done wonderfully since leaving us - it’s obviously a footballing trueism. Happens to players all the time.
    Last edited by Steveo; 8th December 2021 at 10:20 AM.

You don’t like it because it wrecks the cautionary tale.
    So his career didn't go down the toilet then?

ffs Steveo

Why would I be precious about having the cautionary tale wrecked? You're just going insane now trying to win an argument.

It clearly is a cautionary tale - many such tales exist. It is relevant to Salah's choices. It must be being considered by Salah, if not his agent. Within it lies the romance of real footballing glory versus mercenary gains and even empty silverware.

Why the hell do you wish to wreck a cautionary tale when you believe he went down the toilet? You're lost in your own argument - give up

You are lost on this mate - I can’t help you if you can’t see both sides of a coin.

His playing career has gone well south as we all know - he barely gets a game nowadays does he.?

But that could equally have been the case had he stayed. Taksin players get injuries - they lose form - look at Bobby. He’ll look at Kane - is that Cause he stayed..? These are human beings not machines. They have a finite time to win what they can and the top ones want the club to match their ambition.

Come on this is simple stuff

It’s so simple we have folks on this very thread scratching around trying to knock Spanish and German domestic cups while ignoring 2x Spanish League Titles - 1 x German League Title and 1x European Cup.

Very cautionary from an ambition perspective.

Come on man what argument.
    Last edited by Steveo; 8th December 2021 at 10:26 AM.

It's either a cautionary tale or it isn't

It can't be both sides of the coin. If it can be explained away by injuries and bad luck then it isn't cautionary

Drop the anti FSG madness in your head and you will be able to admit that the Coutinho story is a cautionary tale. Wanting it both ways is hedging your bets, which is no way to pull someone up in an argument

"Let me stop you there dear fellow, you're quite wrong.. but of course you're right, everyone knows that"