Page 19 of 76 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122232425262969 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Here to Give Mo Salah Whatever the f#*k

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    It's either a cautionary tale or it isn't

It can't be both sides of the coin. If it can be explained away by injuries and bad luck then it isn't cautionary

Drop the anti FSG madness in your head and you will be able to admit that the Coutinho story is a cautionary tale. Wanting it both ways is hedging your bets, which is no way to pull someone up in an argument

"Let me stop you there dear fellow, you're quite wrong.. but of course you're right, everyone knows that"
    The Coutinho point has little to do with FSG beyond what they are willing to pay Mo.

Both sides of the coin explained.

Player goes to Spain for a mint - his dream move - it goes well at first and he wins the Spanish League title and a domestic cup in his first half-season. Season 2 goes less well for him personally and his. form dips but he still wins a League and Cup double. Next season loaned to Bayern where he wins a treble of League Title, domestic cup, and a European cup. Bayern don't want to pay for him and send him back. The form continues to be average and he suffers more injuries. In between, he wins the Copa America.

Side one - Now a shadow of the player who was with us and who arrived. at Barca

Side two - has 9 titles to his name

My conclusion is simple. It worked out so well for Suarez in treading the same path(probably influenced the little magician), but it has been decidedly mixed for Phil. Great trophy haul but a borderline disaster on the pitch.

The cautionary tale for Mo should be the club he leaves behind, fans, and the manager. Smarter not to focus on Phil. IMO is that ok?
    Last edited by Steveo; 8th December 2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

The cautionary tale for Mo should be the club he leaves behind, fans, and the manager. Smarter not to focus on Phil. IMO is that ok?
    It would be ok if that what you said at the start, when you took exception to the highlighting of Coutinho as a cautionary tale.

You're still making two arguments;

One, he has done really well since he left

Two, he has done really badly since he left

I know you like this kind of argumentation but you have to admit it doesn't make for any clear outcomes (another way of saying it doesn't make sense)

Regarding your statement above, it is essentially the statement that you objected to at the outset - i'e. exactly what I said to begin with. Seeing what happened to Phil should sharpen Salah's awareness of what he stands to lose at LFC. That's all anyone said

No.

Sorry but again you must answer this before leaping to conclusions.

1. Has he done well in terms of winning titles and trophies?
    2. has his playing career improved or declined?

Both answers are different and in my mind they seem to conflict.

I am saying that citing Coutinho is unwise because I believe it is er..unwise. It also opens up Suarez comparisons which don't make us look quite as attractive. Some might want to say that Suarez left before Klopp, but then it would also appear then that Klopp IS a major factor here. This is what I was saying from the start.

I don't like this type of "argument" at all, as I don't even see one.

I have used facts to show how there are 2 sides to the story, like most things.
    Last edited by Steveo; 8th December 2021 at 11:10 AM.

I put it to you that your animus for FSG has clouded your judgement in this argument. You want so much to highlight that players are better off elsewhere even as you admit that the one highlighted here has been, in reality, worse off.

The idea that FSG are sitting there, not wanting to pay him any more than he's on is laughable. In truth they have a difficult problem on their hands. It will distort their pay structure, which is carefully and methodically put together, and it will stretch the club's finances, including with regards to fair play rules. If they pay him a huge amount more it will also limit their ability to pay the wages of new players. So, as in all of life's financial problems, it is a balancing act.

One thing they have in their favour is the success they have already brought to him, which is far and above that enjoyed by Coutinho since he left. And whilst he would be guaranteed to win more trophies at Bayern Munich, for example, those trophies will most probably rank lower in his dreams than the ones he could win here, even if they all seem to count equally in your book.

2. has his playing career improved or declined?
    His playing career has declined, which is why it is a cautionary tale.. which is what it was used as, which is what everyone sees it as, which is why it went down the toilet..

Like I said, totally unable, or more likely unwilling to see both sides of the coin.

Like I said, totally unable, or more likely unwilling to see both sides of the coin.
    I think there's a thread in an alternate universe where they are right at this very minute celebrating the glorious ascent of Philip Coutinho after he left the regressive regime that is Liverpool Football Club, marvelling at his victories in the German Cup which left him with a feeling of greatly deserved satisfaction as well as the envy of those he had left behind.

Sorry you've gone again

Please, have we reached the 100 posts limit on this thread?

I said despite his poor form he could console himself with that fact.

Personally I think it’s a stretch to say that it happens “all the time.” We have people citing 1 CL win for Traore and 1 for Biscan or whoever - BUT 9… N N N N NINE… is a fairly exceptional amount since leaving in 2018.
    Will it be a consolation? I genuinely don't know. Will he look back at those medals and feel like he contributed? I don't have an answer for Cout, but if it was me I would feel disconnected to most of those in the same way Daio etc etc would feel to our CL win
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"