Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 121516171819202122232425262728293272 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Here to Give Mo Salah Whatever the f#*k

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Vin could just as easily ask you why you think his career went down the toilet. It's the same question in reverse. You are scrambling around his trophy haul, looking for numerical expressions of his contribution, all the while knowing he is a sad case of a lost career.

One could ask that same thing about Naby Keita. One could point to Werner, or the reverse, they could look at Suarez.

None of it matters. Players get injured or they lose form after, staying (Kane), or leaving Lewansowski. Some get poked in the eye and never return to the top.

Just face the fact that despite such an abject failure to live up to his potential - for what ever reason, poor old Couts has won the same number of big prizes in the last 3 years as Mané and Bobby combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    One could ask that same thing about Naby Keita. One could point to Werner, or the reverse, they could look at Suarez.

None of it matters. Players get injured or they lose form after, staying (Kane), or leaving Lewansowski. Some get poked in the eye and never return to the top.

Just face the fact that despite such an abject failure to live up to his potential - for what ever reason, poor old Couts has won the same number of big prizes in the last 3 years as Mané and Bobby combined.
    You're misunderstanding the point I'm making. If Coutinho feels like he contributed (not me) then that's fine and he can look back with relative contentment. But equally, it would be hard to argue that his career went down the toilet. Did he live up to his potential? No. But was he successful? Yes.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

I cannot comment on how he feels, can you or anyone on here do that?

All we can go on is his value in the market - which has plummeted, so we can assume he isn’t that desirable an asset. That’s a big change from where he was - with us and especially in Summer 2018 after things had gone so well in his first 6 months in Spain.

I must admit - I am really not sure what your point is, that is quite true. I might be quite wrong but it feels like you are trying to say something without actually saying something.

But what do I do when I face that fact, Steveo? Change my mind that things went downhill for him when he left? That's what you believe isn't it?

You're trying to make an argument that you don't believe.. it's misleading - very misleading in terms of the thread as you've taken us way off track. If you just admitted that he went down the toilet, as you in fact already did, then you aren't saying anything substantial with all your trophy talk.

I know he won some trophies. I know his career went down the toilet.

You're now torturing Vin for pointing out that the trophies aren't that meaningful if your career peters out. You could make this all much easier by saying 'yeah, the trophies probably don't make up for the downturn in his career, otherwise we wouldn't feel bad for him and Salah would probably want some of that same action rather than pausing to wonder if he might meet the same unfortunate fate'

I cannot comment on how he feels, can you or anyone on here do that?
    I think we can make a judgement if someone looks like they're enjoying their career or losing their way. There are all kind of signals that we ultimately use ahead of statistics. Before statistics came along, people still had knowledge of football.

You yourself said 'everyone knows', so you must include people without your statistical prowess in that equation

I am not torturing anyone mate. I just find it amusing to watch you try and detangle the mess created by some rather unfortunate facts.

Are you really so inflexible that you cannot see how there are both positive and negative aspects to Coutinho’s move to Barca?

By the way, Mo had a Champions League trophy stolen from him by Sergio Ramos who got away with a deliberate maiming of him. Ramos then also concussed our goalkeeper to further undermine our chances of victory.

That's quite bad cheating. Ramos has the trophy, Mo doesn't. But there is another dimension, a spiritual dimension, where the cheat loses his glory. Mo Salah is a very spiritual person and his ultimate glory will rest in the eyes of Allah, not in the statistics. That's also how I believe he will look at Coutinho or at the choices available to him. We shall see what he decides soon.

Are you really so inflexible that you cannot see how there are both positive and negative aspects to Coutinho’s move to Barca?
    Ah, that is a different argument. One that hasn't been made until right now. How could anyone not see both positives and negatives in something so complex as a career? Nowhere have I said there were no positives to his move, but if I were to examine the potential positives of his experience, I would probably not rank the trophies that high as those trophies will be laced with the sadness that he was a bit player and not a central player, so they might torture him on some level. Otherwise why would I feel sorry for him?

You used the most absolute language about his move by the way. You said his career went down the toilet. Big shits go down the toilet and there isn't much positive about a big shit.

Plenty of little shits have slid down there too

One assumes that you feel our own James Milner can’t take too much pride in our League title either - inline with your thinking. I mean he played fewer games in our 2 big title wins than Coutinho did in winning his 4. Also Matip, Gomez and certainly Oxlade and Keita. These “bit players” being laced with melancholy.