Page 23 of 76 FirstFirst ... 131617181920212223242526272829303373 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Here to Give Mo Salah Whatever the f#*k

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    One assumes that you feel our own James Milner can’t take too much pride in our League title either - inline with your thinking. I mean he played fewer games in our 2 big title wins than Coutinho did in winning his 4. Also Matip, Gomez and certainly Oxlade and Keita. These “bit players” being laced with melancholy.
    Wrong again - I've already said statistics are not the best way of assessing these things. Coutinho left as the hottest property in World football, at his peak, as a huge outlay - expected to have the team built around him.

James Milner is at the end of his career and will feel fortunate to have played his supporting role in our recent success. He is viewed as a heroic figure by the fans and has no reason to feel anything other than a success at Anfield. If anything he has exceeded expectations and Anfield has been a good move for him.

Three of the players mentioned, who have left, did so in my opinion because they would have felt that they wouldn't win trophies here with us. Sterling has won trophies with Jizzfest, Suarez with Barca and Atletico (I believe) and Coutinho has had trophies with Barca and Bayern.
    To a degree they could have left because they may have felt we didn't have enough quality in the squad.
    Gini, we will never know, but it might have been financial or he may have felt he needed a new challenge.
    Mo on the other hand seems to love the club, and will hopefully stay unless he feels FSG don't value him enough to pay a substantial wage.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Mo on the other hand seems to love the club, and will hopefully stay unless he feels FSG don't value him enough to pay a substantial wage.
    I think he'll stay. He'll want a decent wedge (wonder if he would take £330,000 per week?) and (privately!) probably want an assurance or two in terms of something like Klopp giving us another year or two, or us strengthening the side by getting another good forward in or something to protect the future as Firmino/Mane get past their peak output.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Three of the players mentioned, who have left, did so in my opinion because they would have felt that they wouldn't win trophies here with us. Sterling has won trophies with Jizzfest, Suarez with Barca and Atletico (I believe) and Coutinho has had trophies with Barca and Bayern.
    To a degree they could have left because they may have felt we didn't have enough quality in the squad.
    Gini, we will never know, but it might have been financial or he may have felt he needed a new challenge.
    I think they all loved the club, to be honest. It was ironic that they were all close to being successful here and yet didn’t have the patience to see it through. Coutinho had more personal assurances from Klopp, and he had a new contract so his determination to leave was particularly forceful. That’s why his falling off was a bit more ironic - although the other two can be said to have achieved their dreams on leaving. I’m not convinced about Sterling mind you - I think he’s still open to ridicule

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I think he'll stay. He'll want a decent wedge (wonder if he would take £330,000 per week?) and (privately!) probably want an assurance or two in terms of something like Klopp giving us another year or two, or us strengthening the side by getting another good forward in or something to protect the future as Firmino/Mane get past their peak output.
    That’s what I think too

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    you tell me

For a kick-off we can all see that he played 22 games in that half a season at Barca and scored 9 assisting 8. Obviously cup-tied at the time from CL.

Here is a more detailed breakdown.

2017/18
    18 games played in La Liga as Barca became Champions and Spanish Cup winners
    7 goals
    7 Assists

4 games played in Spanish Copa Del Rey
    2 goals
    1 assist

22 games
    9 goals
    8 assists

Would you deny him any involvement in that title?

2018/19
    34 games played in La Liga as Barca became champions
    5 goals
    2 Assists

12 games played in Champions League
    3 goals
    3 Assists

7 games played in Spanish Copa Del Rey
    3 goals
    0 assists

54 games
    11 goals
    5 assists

Not the best soring stats in the league but he was an almost ever-present. Played in only 1 of 3 defeats in the league. Would you deny him any involvement in this title? Should he hand his medals back?

2019/20
    23 games played in Bundesliga as Bayern became champions of Germany and Europe.
    8 goals
    10 Assists

12 games played in Champions League
    3 goals
    3 Assists

4 games played in German cup
    0 goals
    0 assists

39 games
    11 goals
    14 assists

Decent scoring stats for the league with only 23 played, decent Champions league return too including 2 v Barcelona. Would you deny him any involvement in this title or the Champions League win? Should he hand his medals back?
    He joined in January and the league was done.

His 18/19 stats are abysmal and he was shipped out to bayern the following year.

Where he was a squad player. Merely a loan as they waited for Sane.

He's now a homeless millionaire whose value has dropped consistently after his departure.
    For barca he is a hallmark of their demise.

For me taksin overplays the Coutinho move as a factor in Mos decisions.

Phil has titles, like many other players where fans wouldn't consider them integral to those successes. However few such players are in the top3 of worlds most expensive footballers.
    Should leave barca but clubs won't stake the cash to sign him and his wages are high.

More than a transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    The contribution to the titles or the lack of it is irrelevant to the point. I brought up Suarez myself to point out that Coutinho is only one apocryphal story, but not every apocryphal story.

The fact is, titles or not, his career went down the toilet. Steveo said 'everyone knows' that, which is correct. That means Salah knows it too and Salah won't be sitting around saying 'but he won 9 titles', he'll be sitting around wondering if his career might go down the toilet if he leaves, as careers sometimes do. He will be incorporating that possibility into the decisions he is making, whether they are financial or based around potential glory.

Another one is Raheem Sterling, to throw him into the mix.. still to win the Champions League, not exactly certain he made the right move. It looked right at the time, it may look like something of a mistake later on depending on what happens next, including the possibility that he may be sold to the highest bidder - there's been a few rumours.
    I doubt Coutinho will figure in Salahs decisions. He's different class than Phil and it will come down to cash and what other offers are available.
    If he was looking at players making the move it would be Suarez or Ronaldo prime years.

Sterling for example signed up for £150 grand on top of his lfc wages for £250 grand a week at City.
    Left us with BR in place and after a season of turmoil following suarezs departure and Studges glass form began.
    You could hardly call it a poor move as he increased his wages and won lots of league titles.
    He seemed to love city so much he even took a paycut at the height of his end product stats. (A matter I contend smells fishy)

Had he stayed maybe we don't get Klopp, possibly miss out on Mane or Salah and don't end up winning what we did.

I loathe that little shit and Phil, but you can hardly slate Sterling's decision to leave. The manner of his departure was sour to put it mildly. Coutinhos decision to leave was a poor move for him though also sour.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Wrong again - I've already said statistics are not the best way of assessing these things. Coutinho left as the hottest property in World football, at his peak, as a huge outlay - expected to have the team built around him.

James Milner is at the end of his career and will feel fortunate to have played his supporting role in our recent success. He is viewed as a heroic figure by the fans and has no reason to feel anything other than a success at Anfield. If anything he has exceeded expectations and Anfield has been a good move for him.
    Sorry dude but once again you are running off in all directions in desperation to dismiss what cannot be.

You are out of excuses on this matter. Yes Coutinho was less than a main man in probably all of the 9 titles he has won since leaving us in 2018. This is not the point. The point was always your wrong assertion that Coutinho is a cautionary tale for Mo. Coutinho is simply a tale of what can happen as is Suarez or Sterling or Ronaldo or Lewandowski or Mahrez or any sodding player who leaves to try and further their career.

The career is not simply made up of warm feelings. Knowing that you personally were the main man, it also boils down to what you have won: a point you refuse to accept. Which ends this argument.

You say stats are not the best marker to judge these things when the stats/numbers say 9 trophies but then rely on stats to make a negative judgement or excuse another on the basis of their age and ignore the other examples entirely because they don’t fit with your bogus narrative. It is total hypocrisy.

As CC has mentioned Coutinho is not relevant to Salah’s potential new contract nor do we want it to be cited in this context at all. His loss of form could be down to myriad reasons, as his trophy haul is too.

To highlight a guy who has had such an awful time yet won 9 times, shows the grass may indeed be greener elsewhere, especially so for a player who backs himself like Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    He joined in January and the league was done.

His 18/19 stats are abysmal and he was shipped out to bayern the following year.

Where he was a squad player. Merely a loan as they waited for Sane.

He's now a homeless millionaire whose value has dropped consistently after his departure.
    For barca he is a hallmark of their demise.

For me taksin overplays the Coutinho move as a factor in Mos decisions.

Phil has titles, like many other players where fans wouldn't consider them integral to those successes. However few such players are in the top3 of worlds most expensive footballers.
    Should leave barca but clubs won't stake the cash to sign him and his wages are high.

More than a transfer
    About right. What he has won is totally off the back of the quality of the teams he played in, absolutely no argument.

Steveo
    I’m not sure how to get this through to you, but you agree with me. We’ve already established that.

If you want to say it’s not relevant because Mo backs himself then that doesn’t bring anything new to the table either - Coutinho backed himself.

So backing yourself whilst at the top of your game guarantees nothing. Things can still go wrong.

And you can keep throwing big names around as if that refutes the very basic point. But it doesn’t, even if you mention the 9 trophies again. Perhaps if you keep bringing them up you might win the argument as if by magic.