Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 246467686970717273747576 LastLast

Thread: Sign Here to Give Mo Salah Whatever the f#*k

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Possibly right, I do think he is a very good signing to be honest. He looks absolutely superb, stood out in the Championship like a massively swollen thumb. Klopp’s second go with a Coutinho dynamic, but this time we also have Virgil and Alisson at the back. If Diaz and Nunez can replicate what Mané and Bobby did a few years back and Salah is his usual self - we could be destroying teams with regularity…and I include top 4 rivals.

We finished bottom of that mini league last season, and, that lack of a lock picker was the key culprit for me.
    100%.

It's some way off, but if Salah sees out those 3 seasons, then it will be interesting to see what happens in 23/24 and 24/25.

I always say we "replace" players ahead of time and it looked for a while there like Salah wouldn't sign and thus Núñez might become the main goal threat, essentially "replacing" Salah as the player tasked with getting most goals in terms of role, although they don't play exactly the same positions.

Now though, if we assume Salah stays (and that he isn't off on a big fee next Summer) that won't be the case.

Also presents interesting rotation prospects if we remain 4-3-3. Salah is going to get the Lion's share of starts in Premier League and Champion's League matches as his level demands that he is a starter when fit. That means that Núñez, Diaz (the two I think will start with him) Firmino, Jota and Carvalho are essentially competing for 2 spots.

Competitive, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's some way off, but if Salah sees out those 3 seasons, then it will be interesting to see what happens in 23/24 and 24/25.

I always say we "replace" players ahead of time and it looked for a while there like Salah wouldn't sign and thus Núñez might become the main goal threat, essentially "replacing" Salah as the player tasked with getting most goals in terms of role, although they don't play exactly the same positions.

Now though, if we assume Salah stays (and that he isn't off on a big fee next Summer) that won't be the case.

Also presents interesting rotation prospects if we remain 4-3-3. Salah is going to get the Lion's share of starts in Premier League and Champion's League matches as his level demands that he is a starter when fit. That means that Núñez, Diaz (the two I think will start with him) Firmino, Jota and Carvalho are essentially competing for 2 spots.

Competitive, certainly.
    id like to see any mix of jota, bobby and carvalho be considered to play in midfield also with the 5 subs rule now in again. we know historically that thiago and keita will miss games and to a lesser extent fab and hendo too so we'll able to rotate the key players and split the mins 60/30, to keep up gametime and continuity and give them some rest too. Lkg fwd to pre-season now and getting the new guys bedded in

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

Competitive, certainly.
    The great benefit of Salah extending is it affords the club more time to find a successor.

Presently there aren't many great replacement candidates.
    Chiesa would cost around a 100 million at a guess or more, and is currently out with a cruciate.
    Berardi 27, was another one to look at based on goals and assists.

As it is, Elliot has a few seasons to develop and the club has a bit more time to find a new player.

With the 5 subs rule, Klopp will be able to make a lot more changes in game obviously and tactical variation becomes a real option.

It also means that should some big club come in next year the club has a stronger position and can play hardball.
    The idea Salah wants away seems a little odd though, as he's just signed himself up here, and out of a massive negotiating position next summer financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Yep

Shame fuck face didn't get his head out of his agents arse and sign up last season so we got more than 70% out of him post Afcon, he might even have put his body on the line and risked taking a whack from Courtois or the post to force Jota's header back across goal over the line in the Champions League final

Gte a fucking midfielder signed
    Classy as ever.

We have an excellent back 5 and a very strong group of attacking players. I can see us by passing the midfield and getting the ball forward as quickly as possible as often as possible, which to be fair, is how we have had most of our success in Klopp’s tenure.
    One of the reasons we failed to score a single goal in three finals last season was the cagey nature of the games. While no one parked the bus the way Chelsea and Real played in only scoring one goal between them across the three games, suggests they didn’t commit too many forward and slowed the games down.
    Even v Real, we had 24 attempts but how many were clear chances?

That first pick front three of ours is looking awesome again, Diaz, Nunez and Salah, absolutely brimming with pace and (hopefully..) goals. We need to use it and I am sure we will. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us roll out the 4-2-4 all out attack on occasion when needed with Bobby or even Carvalho drifting between 8 and 10 in and out of possession.

Another exciting season ahead

I’d love us to use preseason to experiment with some different formations and try some players in different positions. I know it’s all a bit Football Manager but I’d like to see TAA in midfield for shits and giggles. As Syd Red said, Bobby, Jota and Carvalho could all be considered for the AM position.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

We may see 4-2-3-1 as an option considering the options we have

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The great benefit of Salah extending is it affords the club more time to find a successor.

The idea Salah wants away seems a little odd though, as he's just signed himself up here, and out of a massive negotiating position next summer financially.
    Using site on mobile so have taken these 2 points rather than do the old embolden of relevant text -

Agree wholeheartedly, there's a bit of a dearth of top talent right-wing forwards at present, so us buying ourselves plenty of potential succession-finding time is excellent - not to mention simply enjoying having someone as good as Salah remain.

To the leaving point - I don't think he wants out, I probably wasn't clear enough there - just considering the possibility that FSG could sanction it if a club came in with a big bid before his renewed contact expires. For what it's worth I think he will see out these 3 years with us - he won't be catching Shearer on the all-time goals list (Premier League era) but as someone who appears to love an individual accolade, he'll enjoy the challenge of trying to finish with more goals than, say, Henry - plus we've got a great squad/atmosphere/club anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Possibly right, I do think he is a very good signing to be honest. He looks absolutely superb, stood out in the Championship like a massively swollen thumb
    As much as I love watching a player at the absolute peak of their powers, there's something equally as exciting as seeing a young talent coming along and thinking about how they will develop and not knowing exactly what sort of player they'll become.

Carvalho is such a prospect and I'm delighted we have him. Best bit is that he is surrounded by other talent, rather than him being a young player who has to shoulder the burden of a club.

Even though we aren't winning just as many trophies as we rightly should, these are great times. Top players in their prime and top prospects with massive potential in the squad as well.