Thread: FAO Nineteenx - Trent (mostly) and the right-hand side.

FAO Nineteenx - Trent (mostly) and the right-hand side.

Know this is a subject you have an interest in and regularly bring up on the forum.

A lot of people are more "visual" in their learning than into text, so thought I'd fire this up. It's not to argue for/against your personal preference as to how we link up, but might be a resource for short-handed discussion and reference when having a chin-wag about it.

Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I think your youtube is more for those who don't seem to understand what I'm talking about, all of that is exactly what I talk about, but it's only covering the right side, a feature of our play that has been missing since we had to change a lot of things last season, he been working it in those areas on the right drawing lots of players in before going back to centre (in one pass) for a first time switch out to the left for Mane in space or Robbo arriving in acres of it, and or Robbo setting off immediately looking to be found, or to be in a great position to support Mane or win or contest any second ball as soon as he sees that ball going back to the No6 in that scenario, what Hoddle described very accurately as chain reaction movement

I think some of the triggers for players movements need to be worked and and instilled, the automation I spoke so much about us losing through enforced changes last season, Mane and Robbo are both miles better players with the automation and constants of other players movement and actually both need that to play at their best levels, I've continually backed both because I understand this, I understood it before it was lost

I the 5 at the back low block situation, the best position to find Trent and to work for him arriving into space in is deeper just outside the line of their LCB, with RCM occupying the LB/LWB and Mo occupying the LCB (One of my major gripes of the second half v Chelsea), from there he can do any number of things, Mo can go take the LCB either way for the RCM to be released or for a cross, low ball or threaded ball through the channel Mo's opened

What we've lost on the left entirely is Mane staying our side of the full back and timing his runs for those medium to longer balls, running on a diagonal, beyond/inside the RB/RWB looking to run in behind the RCB and Gini's positioning, supported by Robbo's automatic movement to pick up the second ball if the defender gets something on it but it's played well enough he can't clear it effectively. And not just the medium to longer balls either, Mane making inside out runs to be found in behind the opposition FB/RWB drawing the RCB across, we didn't try or utilise any of that v Chelsea second half either.

The video isn't actually correct on the point of teams stopping Robbo and Mane and Trent, it was working perfectly well at the start of last season prior to the injuries and got us goals, because the synchronisation and automation was so finely tuned, teams knew what was coming, tried to stop it, but couldn't
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

The comments about Trent not being a midfielder are bang on the money, the other players movement and deliberate moving of and occupying opposition players for him to be found in space are a key part of how he is so effective, and we're on able to manipulate those positions for him because he's arriving into them from deeper with a good degree of automation as our right wasn't broken to anything like the extent our left was. If he's starting in midfield, he's marked and doesn't get that space or doesn't get it anywhere near or like as frequently

It also illustrates why we're better with Hendo at No6, because he reads the game better, understands and orchestrates the press better and has better distribution and we use the RCM mostly in a (sorry to quote friends) "Rachael go long" way, to occupy, move and manipulate the opposition players positions, then from that position, having drawn numerous players into that area of the pitch, we can go back to Hendo with one pass to play a first time switch for Robbo or Mane in acres of space or attempted medium to long ball over the RCB for Mane's run off RB or RB in the RCB position in behind

Think it was Doc who highlighted Klopp saying we played too many long passes and not tbe right types first half.
    Players have to adapt so I find the videos a little theoretical more than practical.

But addressing the video, I'd say a 244 is a very good pressing shape.

Matip VVD
    Trent Hendo Fab Robbo
    Salah Firmino Jota Mane

4 4
    8 6 6 8
    9 10 10 9

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Think it was Doc who highlighted Klopp saying we played too many long passes and not tbe right types first half.
    However, as a great man once said, "It's not about the long ball or the short ball, it's about the right ball" and for a ball to be the right ball, the positions of our players and supporting players and opposition players have to be right for it to be played, engineered for it to be played in some instances, as in retaining possession and keeping and working the ball in advanced areas to move/draw opposition players into an area, to exploit the space they leave open/vacate in another area.

It wasn't so much a case of playing too many long balls, we didn't actually play too many, only Virgil played a long ball, we did play 3 or 4 medium to long 20-25 yard balls though, we didn't have the ball often enough in the first half to play much at all, it was a case of trying to force something that wasn't on, because we hadn't manipulated opposition positions for it to be on through a series of shorter passes, because in the first half we were incapable of stringing 4 or 5 shorter passes together in combination with good movement.

When we play what you're referring to as long balls, except for when Virgil plays them, they aren't actually long balls, and they are usually more calculated, the players having created the right conditions for them to be played through good possession of the ball and movement and that being 'the right ball' at the time it is played, because the players are set to either get played in and our other players are best positioned to win any second ball