Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: New Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    It's ok, there's no corruption anywhere in professional football.
    Do you have any idea how this specific corruption happens? If Man City pay their players more than LFC and United, how have they managed to convince the auditors, accountants and HMRC that they pay them less?

Asked about what had changed the minds of the FA about the suitability of the owners in light of the awful human rights record and the questions over the killing of Jamal Khassoghi, a spokesman for the FA simply wound down the window of her new Bentley Mulsanne, took the Cuban cigar out, mopped her brow with a new £50 note and told reporters that they been given 'assurances'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    well something is dodgy, they have bigger squads (and probably better quality of player outside x11) than us with some "superstars" too....

Unless like I said we're over-paying players, that never play.
    There was an article a while back about one aspect of wage bill differences between us and city, it was, that lfc wages included every staff member.
    Whereas City have some of their staff being paid by a third party. So our wages include the tea ladies and their's don't.

Chelsea have also invested heavily in top talent and some of their academy players are on very big wages, but those details don't count in the ffp. But when they sold such players the cashed in seniors money helps them out.

As far as I'm aware all the clubs use the amortisation practice of accounting as it gives them the best leeway with ffp. This means transfers are accounted through the wage bill.
    There's a lot to ffp regulations.

As said you have to ask would sterling and his agent take a wage cut after he joined City and improved as a footballer. For me they wouldn't. This was also at a time where there was interest from real Madrid.

As far as I see it, our wage bill for the senior squad is less than manu, city and chelsea.

Manu, barca and reals wage bills are essentially in competition with psg, city and chelsea. We're operating below their level.

Yet on paper our wage bill is supposedly higher than city and chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I really fail to see how this can be a major phenomenon. The tax man is chasing every last penny and that is getting worse and worse every year. In the US now, they are debating a bill to highlight to the tax man any transaction anywhere of 600 dollars or more.

If you think Sterling is receiving say, £100,000 a week from an outside source, it would still have to be declared in order to avoid punishment for tax evasion. If I try to imagine how that was done, it would have to be seriously convoluted - say, a contract with Emirates for a talk he gives on life as a footballer to special guests in a hotel in Abu Dhabi. That's actually how the Clintons became millionaires so it is possible but they were still in government pulling the strings so I can't see how it would escape detection.
    The bald one has just been outed in this last financial leak for tax evasion from 2012 iirc. Without the leak it seems he'd of gotten away with it.

Yes the ambassadorial role is one avenue, overpaid sponsorship is hardly going to be regulated by the state over there.
    It's as simple as putting cash in an account accessible through numerous countries.

Could be a contract for a relative as was with Platinis nephew. Or Sterling investing heavily in a company that the owners will purchase a few months later for a tidy and artifical profit.

These are means of transferring money and the tax man can be paid and not interested in tax evasion as there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    Keita and Ox drain £12.5 million from the club each year. Adrian, Phillips, Minamino and Origi is another £13.5 million. Trent seems overpaid at £180,000 per week but Mane only earns £100,000 per week.

But then again Chelsea spend £30 million a year for Kepa, Ziyech, Barkley, Hudson Odoi and Sarr who don't contribute much.

Looking at the figures online our wage bill can't be too much higher than that of City or Chelsea
    That was Manes wages before he extended his stay with us.
    He's been on 175/180 kpw after his last extension in November 2018.
    He'll be on more than Trent if/when he signs another contract extension. Similar to Salah.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The bald one has just been outed in this last financial leak for tax evasion from 2012 iirc. Without the leak it seems he'd of gotten away with it.

Yes the ambassadorial role is one avenue, overpaid sponsorship is hardly going to be regulated by the state over there.
    It's as simple as putting cash in an account accessible through numerous countries.

Could be a contract for a relative as was with Platinis nephew. Or Sterling investing heavily in a company that the owners will purchase a few months later for a tidy and artifical profit.

These are means of transferring money and the tax man can be paid and not interested in tax evasion as there is none.
    Do you think if any of these were discovered they would be considered legal and irrelevant to FFP?

As far as I'm aware, if you are resident in this country earnings abroad must be declared.

Tax evasion is one thing. Why I have the utmost respect for tax avoidance, myself. But a deal to pay a player's wages that is undeclared is a few notches more dangerous for the club - all it takes is someone to insist of a FFP violation and it's big news. You may think that they will never be held to account but I'm not so sure. The injury to the project stands the chance of being deeply damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Do you think if any of these were discovered they would be considered legal and irrelevant to FFP?

As far as I'm aware, if you are resident in this country earnings abroad must be declared.

Tax evasion is one thing. Why I have the utmost respect for tax avoidance, myself. But a deal to pay a player's wages that is undeclared is a few notches more dangerous for the club - all it takes is someone to insist of a FFP violation and it's big news. You may think that they will never be held to account but I'm not so sure. The injury to the project stands the chance of being deeply damaging.
    No. Most of the means to do it are of no consequence to ffp.

If the Boston globe wanted hendo as a brand ambassador what does that matter to ffp.
    Of course LFC has no real issue with ffp compliance.

A player having a sponsorship deal doesn't matter to the clubs accounts.

Of course we would suggest that city for example would be skirting ffp regulations, as they have done with their stadium sponsorship, but the stadium sponsorship is on their books.
    Whereas little bonus payments are off the man City books and only a cause for the taxman potentially.

The worst bit for a fan of a Club that gets bought by the Saudis is that, if you're of the inclination where you absolutely don't want such owners under any circumstances, when do you get your club back?

These Oil Princes will never be under the financial pressure where they'll have to sell. You are essentially stuck with them - and if you have any sense of morality whatsoever, it must be a nightmare to stomach.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I'd imagine clubs, especially the ones who were targeted by uefa, and their players have decent accountants.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    No. Most of the means to do it are of no consequence to ffp.

If the Boston globe wanted hendo as a brand ambassador what does that matter to ffp.
    Of course LFC has no real issue with ffp compliance.

A player having a sponsorship deal doesn't matter to the clubs accounts.

Of course we would suggest that city for example would be skirting ffp regulations, as they have done with their stadium sponsorship, but the stadium sponsorship is on their books.
    Whereas little bonus payments are off the man City books and only a cause for the taxman potentially.
    Right, ok, bonus payments are potentially of this order. but they are written into a contract, aren't they? There's only so many Rolexes you can buy per week to make up the £100,000 short-fall they've had to impose on, say, Raheem Sterling. The contract is a liability and FFP rules are there to ensure that liability cannot be passed on to the hypothetical next owners.

And we know FFP regulators are looking at this - they are aware City want to funnel funds through sponsorship and they have rules about what a reasonable sponsorship deal looks like. That's what City were accused of in their recent scandal - accounting for non income as income and hiding it with smoke and mirrors. So it's not allowed.

So, if you're claiming Raheem Sterling is being paid more than he is being paid. by the Arabs, do you know this for a fact (or even a rumour) or are you just imagining it must be so?