Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by huyrob View Post
    I agree that if that’s in City’s contract. But lo and behold said player suddenly gets a gilt backed contract from a third party ( obviously no connection to city ! ), saying appear on our tv ad , or be agreeable to do so over the next 3 years and we’ll pay you £££££. If he appears on the first advert to set the scene and never appears again…..how can that be challenged.
    Totally off piste but Sterling’s smug face at the end of the advert summed it up !!
    Our players have also had shampoo money. And, sorry to be cynical, but Sterling’s Black Lives Matter activism and England status is very 2021. Nothing to do with City paying his wages that way.

CCTV is talking about money they are earning in Abu Dhabi, not on English TV. There should be some evidence of it.

A bit off topic here but we all think that governing bodies will spot “ corruption “
    Look at this
    https://apple.news/ARrL_bcSyS0ik6uqd0euE5g

If I wanted to open a bank account I’d have to jump through hoops. To be able to pass over £260 m in cash in 5 years…..bloody hell. £1.8 million a day in cash! With a company who said their turnover was about £15m.
    And this is the apparently severely regulated banking industry. Christ, though at perhaps a lower level the Premier League is a corrupt , secretive den of greed and arrogance. It needs to fall.That’s without commenting on the Premier leagues acceptance that PIF paying £300 m for @NUFC and chaired by the Ruler of Saudi is…..not influenced by the Saudi Govt. ….defies belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    It’s relevant because we have players whose wages are going up higher all the time. There is a chorus from inside and outside the club calling for it, it’s part of where we are and what our model is.

The same chorus does not exist for those other admittedly good players who you imagine to be in squads of higher value (wage value not transfer value).

You can say Jesus is shit hot but they are trying to offload him or replace him, not to pay him whatever he wants.
    Let's be clear, I said Jesus was shit hot when they signed him. Same with the others.
    They were joining big clubs and would have got paid accordingly.

That's typically what they do sign shit hot players, as it turns out sometimes overrated but they pay for it in wages, transfer fees, net spend.

Whereas we don't do that very often and it is only in the next few months, that Salah our top paid player will exceed Sterling's 2015 wages at City.
    Sterling wouldn't have arrived at city as their top earner in 2015. He would only have been on 250kpw which no one in our current squad earns.

Nor is there any fear from city fans of losing their top players to clubs paying better terms.

I've given 6 clubs who pay better than us and highlighted the 3 oil rich clubs in that 6 as having injected significant inflation into the wage market.

Given sterling's wages from 2015 as a benchmark that only now our best paid player will exceed, a player whose arguably the best player in the world currently.

Think it's at an exhaustive stage now

It’s not at an exhaustive stage. You are giving evidence that they pay their players higher wages than us and arguing that they are paying them lower wages than us.

Something isn’t right in your analysis.

Our players have also had shampoo money. And, sorry to be cynical, but Sterling’s Black Lives Matter activism and England status is very 2021. Nothing to do with City paying his wages that way.

CCTV is talking about money they are earning in Abu Dhabi, not on English TV. There should be some evidence of it.
    I did in an earlier post accept that Adam lallana did an advert. It’s trivia but Lallanas advert was an LFC based advert , I think, whereas Sterling’s was not club based.
    Don’t want to get in to BLM issues as this only clouds the issue. There are myriads of channels for clubs to “ compensate “ players outside of the books. This is not to say that players are avoiding tax, they can declare such earnings quite easily. It is whether those earnings have been arranged/guaranteed or manipulated by their employer. Again would a player appear with their child in an advert to simply promote his backing of BLM. Perhaps he donated his fee? Fat chance. It is dubious at the very least.

It’s not at an exhaustive stage. You are giving evidence that they pay their players higher wages than us and arguing that they are paying them lower wages than us.

Something isn’t right in your analysis.
    No, I've stated there are differences in what the reported wages count.
    All staff wages v some staff wages.

I've stated my appraisal of the likely wage bills for senior playing squads.

I've shown the level of contract Sterling got in 2015.

I've shown how by reports he took a wage decrease in 2018 when he was flying in output terms.
    Which goes against the expected trend/reality of football.

I've speculated that Sterling did not arrive as a top earner in 2015.
    An example of hitherto wage bills.

I've cited internal emails that City were adamant they would subvert ffp.

I've given examples of how this can be done and why I don't believe ffp has any grounds for action in terms of player sponsorships/ambassadorial payments.

I've said looking for fact is not a sensible objective in this discussion.

And I've given reasons why those 3 clubs would have higher wage bills.

It's exhausted imo as your objective to establish fact was earlier discarded as not feasible.
    To establish fact I would need a lot more access to details at the club, the owners capital funds and businesses, and access to each players financial details including potential tax evasion/hidden payments.

It's my position that Salah will sign up for 350kpwish and there are 5 clubs in Europe who would pay him more.

I look at the landscape as one where the 3 traditional richest clubs have been pushed up by the 3 new rich clubs.
    We are only joining that tier now and won't join it properly.
    But that the wages we will pay are largely driven by the wages paid by those clubs already.

As such I accept that the reality of payments at City are likely more in line with barca/real/manu. Same for psg and Chelsea to a lesser extent.

At our peak we had 5 players in the toty. I'd suggest presently
    VVD and Salah are the only 2 who other clubs or their fans would put in an upper echelon.

That's as much as I can say on the matter.

Lfc fans fear losing star players to better terms elsewhere, City fans do not whilst City allegedly have a smaller wage bill based on reports that do not measure the exact same thing to begin with and have owners more interested in investing their significantly more cash, whilst having internal emails declaring a desire to thwart ffp.

Its been a more exciting venture than watching the international footy though

No the BLM thing makes him marketable. You seem to be saying City arranged his endorsement earnings for him. But they have agents for that. It recently came out that Marcus Rashford’s image rights agency had come up with his school meals idea, for example. That’s how carefully their image is put together at this point in time.
    Sometimes the club pays for their image rights and sometimes they don’t. That’s one part of the footballing agent’s negotiation (not the player’s personal image agency)

To say that’s how City are paying his wages seems a bit of a stretch to me. Endorsements are over and above wages whether they are part of the contract or not. We aren’t arguing that Salah’s contract with the Egyptian Yoghurt Cooperative is the way we pay him under the FFP radar.

Trent and Alisson probably just below in the assessments from what I see of other fans

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    No, I've stated there are differences in what the reported wages count.
    All staff wages v some staff wages.
    You are muddying the waters if you are insinuating that non playing staff wages are included. That isn't what was reported in May. by the way they have City above us, not United;

"Man City (£351m) were the only club in England with a higher wage bill than Liverpool, with Man United (£284m), Chelsea (£283m) and Arsenal (£225m) making up the rest of the top five.

Swiss Ramble reports that Liverpool have seen the highest wage increase of the Premier League‘s big six over the last three years, at 56 percent.

Worryingly, the club’s wages-to-turnover ratio increased from 58 percent to 66 percent, and though this was only the 14th-highest across the Premier League, it suggests the Reds have taken a big loss as their success coincided with the pandemic."

No the BLM thing makes him marketable. You seem to be saying City arranged his endorsement earnings for him. But they have agents for that. It recently came out that Marcus Rashford’s image rights agency had come up with his school meals idea, for example. That’s how carefully their image is put together at this point in time.
    Sometimes the club pays for their image rights and sometimes they don’t. That’s one part of the footballing agent’s negotiation (not the player’s personal image agency)

To say that’s how City are paying his wages seems a bit of a stretch to me. Endorsements are over and above wages whether they are part of the contract or not. We aren’t arguing that Salah’s contract with the Egyptian Yoghurt Cooperative is the way we pay him under the FFP radar.
    Have to disagree here, yes it may be the players agent who negotiates the sponsorship deal , but if he is negotiating with an outright benefactor with an open wallet then …?