Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What you watched last - good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Just finished watching supposedly the final episode of the final series of Peaky Blinders.
    Superb.
    Cannot believe there won't be another series or sequel - there's so much scope for follow-ups.
    I didn't watch any of the series, but I did watch the last episode and also thought it definitely left a great deal of scope for follow ups, then so do a lot of other multi series programs

I think Game Of Thrones left scope but it will never happen and I'm still pissed off at the ridiculous way they chose to end it and that they rushed through so many things without all the machinations and machiavellian scheming and build up to them happening that had made the show so great. It left me feeling completely robbed and disenfranchised

Like the end of 'Lost' my ex had me watch all the series of
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I think Game Of Thrones left scope but it will never happen and I'm still pissed off at the ridiculous way they chose to end it and that they rushed through so many things without all the machinations and machiavellian scheming and build up to them happening that had made the show so great. It left me feeling completely robbed and disenfranchised
    Varys and Baelish were the prime Chess players in that show until the writing got stupid.

Such a shame.

I watched Taboo. Enjoyed it well enough but I and the same criticisms of it that, funnily enough, stopped me from watching Peaky Blinders some time back. Think Stephen Knight (could be mis-remembering the name) did writing on both, so that would make some sense that I have similar gripes with both.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Varys and Baelish were the prime Chess players in that show until the writing got stupid.

Such a shame.

I watched Taboo. Enjoyed it well enough but I and the same criticisms of it that, funnily enough, stopped me from watching Peaky Blinders some time back. Think Stephen Knight (could be mis-remembering the name) did writing on both, so that would make some sense that I have similar gripes with both.
    Taboo was superb I thought, I really liked it. Second season in the offing for a while but not heard anything for ages. Tom Hardy and Stephen Graham probably too busy.

I watched The Batman. Its fab, definitely up there with the Burton and Nolan ones. Way better than any of the MCU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Million Dollar Baby - gritty story and a movie masterpiece.

Some great deep thoughts explored through simple messages via the heroic tragedy.

Emotionally, a scatter-bomb, feelings obliterated in all directions.

Seen it before, loved it, rate it, even got cut watching it.
    Reminds me of watching into the west, as a kid.

10/10
    Awesome movie. Heart wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Taboo was superb I thought, I really liked it. Second season in the offing for a while but not heard anything for ages. Tom Hardy and Stephen Graham probably too busy.
    Where it slightly falls down for me (I did enjoy it too, overall) is in two areas - both due to Steven Knight (think it's the right name, he worked on Peaky as well)

1. Style over substance occasionally - so many shots of Tom Hardy stalking through London looking hard in his big coat. Granted, he pulls the look off, but I find it got stale. This happens in Peaky Blinders as well at times.

2. Main gripe (happens with Thomas Shelby in Peaky too) is the whole thing of the main character always playing 4D-Chess. The grand Masterplan (by default making acquaintances pawns in their Chess game) character ends up having a reductive effect on the influence of other characters. Largely just there to do what Thomas Shelby/James Delaney says.

These are nitpicks I know and I'll hold my hands up to the fact I can be very nitpicky with films/dramas, but if something is so close to brilliant I get a bit frustrated when it can't take that final step.

I watched a game of football today between Everton and the filthy, it was the worst game of football I have watched for several years, absolutely terrible fare served up by both sides, worse than Southgate's 'Allardyce's' England long ball diving stars football even, just simply atrocious
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Where it slightly falls down for me (I did enjoy it too, overall) is in two areas - both due to Steven Knight (think it's the right name, he worked on Peaky as well)

1. Style over substance occasionally - so many shots of Tom Hardy stalking through London looking hard in his big coat. Granted, he pulls the look off, but I find it got stale. This happens in Peaky Blinders as well at times.

2. Main gripe (happens with Thomas Shelby in Peaky too) is the whole thing of the main character always playing 4D-Chess. The grand Masterplan (by default making acquaintances pawns in their Chess game) character ends up having a reductive effect on the influence of other characters. Largely just there to do what Thomas Shelby/James Delaney says.

These are nitpicks I know and I'll hold my hands up to the fact I can be very nitpicky with films/dramas, but if something is so close to brilliant I get a bit frustrated when it can't take that final step.
    I know what you mean Sid, there is a lot of that in Taboo. Haven't watched much of Peaky, couldn't really get into it.

In the process of rewatching the Sopranos (season 3 now)

Also watched Gotti, the 1996 version which is a great watch. Currently free on YouTube.

Like my Marvel and DC and finished Peacemaker which is a good laugh to be honest. James Gunn is doing wonders for tv and movies.

Watched Arrival. Probably the best sci-fi movie I have ever seen!

In the middle of watching, on BBC iPlayer:
    Kicking Off: the rise and fall of the super League.
    Notable so far, the program mentions PSG and Jizzfest as being state-owned by Qatar, but no mention of Real Madrid being state-supported by Spain.
    PSG and Jizzfest being blamed for the need for a super League because of the financial implications for the top European clubs. Not much said about Real however.