Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 141718192021222324

Thread: Match Thread : Atletico Madrid v Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I get all that and am just saying what is also plain to see despite the super fan - don’t mention the war BS some want to dictate.

We are struggling in the middle of the park. Virgil was a mess tonight with no cover. Allison bailed us plenty tonight . or did I imagine it? Can’t it be said because we won?

Play a Watford or a Porto and it ain’t a problem but anyone decent and we look short. That should have been something the club knew about in August.
    Its not about being a super fan I have eyes as well we have been open all season.

I dont know why that is its possibly tactical to get an extra player forward....last season people moaned we couldnt score or create this season that isnt a problem.

You mentioned we were top at xmas which is true after a good start but we also lost our 3 CBs as well and nobody in this league recovers from that.

Van Djik was poor tonight I wouldnt have played him but im not Klopp so I cant make that choice.

I agree we could have done with another CM in the summer again not anything any of us can do about it.

As things stand we are doing well but that means nothing in October.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Its not about being a super fan I have eyes as well we have been open all season.

I dont know why that is its possibly tactical to get an extra player forward....last season people moaned we couldnt score or create this season that isnt a problem.

You mentioned we were top at xmas which is true after a good start but we also lost our 3 CBs as well and nobody in this league recovers from that.

Van Djik was poor tonight I wouldnt have played him but im not Klopp so I cant make that choice.

I agree we could have done with another CM in the summer again not anything any of us can do about it.

As things stand we are doing well but that means nothing in October.
    Absolutely cock on!

It's almost as if last season's missing defenders had nothing to do with the struggles we had... There were a lot of fans that were worried that we were totally burnt out and that this season would follow the same as last. Whilst not firing on all cylinders yet, we look hungry, full of energy and look like scoring goals again.

This team is phenomenal. And i'm not sure it gets the recognition it truely deserves.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    This team is phenomenal. And i'm not sure it gets the recognition it truely deserves.
    Last lost a Premier League game on the 7th of March.

Have won 3/3 in Europe this season.

5/8 in the League this season, drawing the other 3. Much as I don't like to clutch at ifs/buts/maybes too much, we were also a missed sitter away from being 4-2 up against Brentford and City's equaliser took a deflection, so we have surrendered points rather than failing to be in a position to get them by being too far behind in losing positions.

This is, as often seems the case, with us seeing lots of room for little bits of improvement. If we sort out an issue or two then we're in a seriously strong spot. Not that we aren't already.

I think the unrelenting consistency of City winning so much muddies the waters - and I think(?) we still have (just about) more points than them (total) over the last 3 seasons, which is wild.

This team has some phenomenal players and has achieved phenomenal results - However , judging by our games against top quality opposition, this season and last - even Brentford levels - we are not phenomenal just yet.

Let’s not forget the drubbing we got without any missing CB’s last term at Villa. Always good to keep a balance on things.

Salah and Alisson are playing out of this world and it gets you big wins over mortal teams but against the best it looks a tall order.

This team has some phenomenal players and has achieved phenomenal results - However , judging by our games against top quality opposition, this season and last - even Brentford levels - we are not phenomenal just yet.

Let’s not forget the drubbing we got without any missing CB’s last term at Villa. Always good to keep a balance on things.

Salah and Alisson are playing out of this world and it gets you big wins over mortal teams but against the best it looks a tall order.
    3 of those Villa goals came from wicked deflections which players can do very little about. Also how many times does a team concede so many deflections in one game?. It was a freak result which all teams suffer once in a while. I was more concerned with the 3 we conceded at Brentford this season and the two last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Last lost a Premier League game on the 7th of March.

Have won 3/3 in Europe this season.

5/8 in the League this season, drawing the other 3. Much as I don't like to clutch at ifs/buts/maybes too much, we were also a missed sitter away from being 4-2 up against Brentford and City's equaliser took a deflection, so we have surrendered points rather than failing to be in a position to get them by being too far behind in losing positions.

This is, as often seems the case, with us seeing lots of room for little bits of improvement. If we sort out an issue or two then we're in a seriously strong spot. Not that we aren't already.

I think the unrelenting consistency of City winning so much muddies the waters - and I think(?) we still have (just about) more points than them (total) over the last 3 seasons, which is wild.
    I would love to see a WDL results sequence for our games since we got beat 4-1 at Spurs back in 2017. Almost 4 years to the day! That game was the turning point. Since then we've been a machine.

Even last season we started like a machine and ended like one. Only the middle part of the season was a mess due to having zero defenders.

It's not luck. And you cant do this sort of thing having poor players. You cant do this with a few Suarezesque players carrying the rest for 4 years.

I'll counter that and say when we got hammered 7-2 in that week United lost 6-1 at home to Spurs and City lost 5-2 at home to Leicester.

Covid had a huge impact on teams especially ones whose players play all year and City got off to a slow start by their standards too.

You are right in those two are the stand outs this season and we are a very good team but every team has room to improve as well.

For shits and giggles I had a quick look

Since losing 4-1 at Spurs in October 2017 we have lost (League and CL) -

2017/18 - 5 games for the remainder of that season (2 of which were a European Cup semi and Final)
    2018/19 - 5 games total. Only 1 in the league!
    2019/20 - 6 games total. Only 2 games in the league!
    2020/21 - 11 games total. Which is a lot less than I thought it would be
    2021/22 - 0 games.

So in exactly 4 years we have lost a grand total of 27 league and CL games. 15 league games in 4 years. We lost 14 games in the league in Owl's season in 2010/11.

Just think what it would have been with a few fit defenders last season...