Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread : Atletico Madrid v Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    He's insanely good.

So many times tonight I said to my Dad "what does Mignolet do there?" and it really brings it Home - particularly the sweeper keeper moments.

Yep only issue with it is - whoever steps in at that level, is most likely going to cost us. We are playing with a back 5 in effect. That’s because we have no midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    You're a awful worrier Stevo.

I am fucking warrior (.with an ‘a’)if you must know - but yes I do worry where my club is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I get all that and am just saying what is also plain to see despite the super fan - don’t mention the war BS some want to dictate.

We are struggling in the middle of the park. Virgil was a mess tonight with no cover. Allison bailed us plenty tonight . or did I imagine it? Can’t it be said because we won?

Play a Watford or a Porto and it ain’t a problem but anyone decent and we look short. That should have been something the club knew about in August.
    Virgil had a poor game by his standards, he got caught stepping up to allow Greizzman to run in behind from in his own half from a ball played from deep - Absolutely FUCK ALL to do with our midfield

After Kieta's ipoor attempt at a tackle diving in on our right, that situations was under control, Matip was exactly where he needed to be, Hendo was where he needed to be, Virgil's job, with 2 defenders, Virgil and Robbo v one attacker, was to pick up Greizzman, there was only one possible ball on, making it easy to read, Virgil went to sleep completely, again that goal was all about Virgil's own poor game and lapse, and again FUCK all to do with midfield, well under control even after Kieta's inaction

Only you can blame the midfield for those 2 errors/lapses by Virgil when both were Virgil's serious lapses or errors that led to Big Bear having to make a great save and Greizzman scoring and unquestionably Virgil's responsibility
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Because only I can see

And Virgil’s errors are on him BUT he was out nearly a year don’t forget and he had far more protection before with Gini.

Don’t go excusing Hendo either. He has been below average for a while now.

Just thank the lord for Salah and Alisson

Yep only issue with it is - whoever steps in at that level, is most likely going to cost us. We are playing with a back 5 in effect. That’s because we have no midfield.
    I think it's a few issues stacking up, not unlike when multiple injuries last season caused real damage to the cohesion and chemistry of the side, which we are quite reliant on - Klopp loves to pick as much of the same XI as he can.

In midfield tonight we have a great player who is probably getting a fraction too much game time given his age/lack of pace in Milner, with Henderson a good bit below his best right now and an attack-minded Keita far from being excellent when people drive at him with the ball.

So there's a lot to deal with, but that gets compounded by a couple of misunderstandings between Matip and Van Dijk with the offside trap, PLUS Van Dijk still working his way back towards his best, which he can certainly be forgiven for.

So that's effectively 5 different "problems" we have simultaneously. The main thing for me is to sort one of them out, then hopefully another and another. As long as we aren't carrying multiple problems simultaneously for a prolonged period, I wouldn't be (too) stressed, though we should of course be conscious of it.

A shame we couldn't have played a bit more keep-ball at 2-0 up and got to half-time. Should also cut ourselves a touch of slack and concede that João Felix and Griezmann aren't easy adversaries and that we were away from Home.

7 away matches in a row now where we have scored 3 or more. It disguises a few flaws for sure, but we're a pretty damn good side. Hopefully Jones and/or Thiago back soon to help freshen up the midfield.

Indeed, it’s why you need at least a couple of absolute Superstars if you’re going to win things.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I think it's a few issues stacking up, not unlike when multiple injuries last season caused real damage to the cohesion and chemistry of the side, which we are quite reliant on - Klopp loves to pick as much of the same XI as he can.

In midfield tonight we have a great player who is probably getting a fraction too much game time given his age/lack of pace in Milner, with Henderson a good bit below his best right now and an attack-minded Keita far from being excellent when people drive at him with the ball.

So there's a lot to deal with, but that gets compounded by a couple of misunderstandings between Matip and Van Dijk with the offside trap, PLUS Van Dijk still working his way back towards his best, which he can certainly be forgiven for.

So that's effectively 5 different "problems" we have simultaneously. The main thing for me is to sort one of them out, then hopefully another and another. As long as we aren't carrying multiple problems simultaneously for a prolonged period, I wouldn't be (too) stressed, though we should of course be conscious of it.

A shame we couldn't have played a bit more keep-ball at 2-0 up and got to half-time. Should also cut ourselves a touch of slack and concede that João Felix and Griezmann aren't easy adversaries and that we were away from Home.

7 away matches in a row now where we have scored 3 or more. It disguises a few flaws for sure, but we're a pretty damn good side. Hopefully Jones and/or Thiago back soon to help freshen up the midfield.
    Quite right Sid - and I am being very picky. I am being greedy. Just think it’s a shame because with proper business this summer and at least one quality addition to that midfield (much needed IMO) we are on another level still.

Quite right Sid - and I am being very picky. I am being greedy.
    It's fan Nature. If we won the League by winning every match 2-0 and went into the next season winning 10 matches in a row 2-0, part of us would be grumbling going into the 11th game that we hadn't won 3-0 in ages.

Or "Salah doesn't score enough headers". Or "how come none of our stars can beat Millie on the lactic acid test?"

If anyone can iron out the "critical non-essentials" that we didn't quite get right, it's our Manager. He'll always do frustrating things like generally not rotating as much as I'd like or making subs later than "Rafa time" (62nd-67th minute) but he's as close to a perfect Manager as we'll ever get, so just enjoy it.

If (when he is done with us) he needs a year away from Football but still has love for us, I'd honestly hope we tried to offer him a year's paid leave on the condition that he is coming straight back to us on a good length deal with Lijnders or whoever covering for a season, rather than see him manage Bayern Munich or whoever. Thankfully not a problem for right now.

And Virgil’s errors are on him BUT he was out nearly a year don’t forget and he had far more protection before with Gini.

Don’t go excusing Hendo either. He has been below average for a while now.
    Excusing him for what, his passing has been below the levels he set, he has been keeping it moving pretty well and changing the direction of our play pretty well, as he's our most effective passer, him being below his best in that respect isn't helpful I'll admit.

I do not see him having been below par in his positioning in the press, in his recognising of where the danger is and who he needs to pick up and in always scanning and picking up runners from deep, he has been below his standards with the ball, accepted, but not without the ball. No player is without fault and believe me if Hendo was charging into situations 2 of our other players were already on top of leaving a runner, or his player and an area wide open and actually creating an easy outball and option for the player our 2 others had otherwise boxed in with a good press, I'd call him out for it immediately, but he isn't doing that, he's doing the side of the game without the ball, reading it, positionally and decision making as well as he ever did, he is perhaps a little slower than he was 2 seasons ago, but that's age
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”