Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atleti away postmatch discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Shaw has kept Mo relatively quiet and has been one of their best performers in recent games against us.
    Jurgen finally resolved that issue in our 4-2 mauling of them at Old Toilet towards the end of last season, I hope we will look at how we battered them in that game, the deeper line, the one stays one goes full back policy and Mo deliberately not playing up against Shaw, and not tracking him either, but playing mostly at inside forward in the 4312 we used that game, not against Shaw or Maguire and away from their DM that side and looking to be released in behind Shaw and one v one against Maguire, it really worked and despite missing several of our best players for the match, it was our best performance against them under Jurgen.

One the other side and part of how that 4312 worked, Jota played RFWD and was wide when Mo was inside and came into the centre when Mo was released in behind Shaw. Wan Bissaka is exceptional one v one, but he sucks when you get 2 or 3 players around him and look to release a player in behind him down the line or through the channel from there.

There are 95 minutes to win a football match, I'd prefer the same set up as the last meeting, 4312, Trent sitting more making the play, Hendo in front of him giving greater security that side, our more attacking mid and full back should be left side against the filthy, as their 2 CBs are a weakness, so looking to release Mo in behind Shaw and Mane, Robbo, Bobby or the more attacking mid in behind Wan Bissaka with little triangles and good movement is our best way to score the most goals against them
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

On last night's game, Simeone gets the better of Jurgen tactically a lot, not because he's better than Jurgen, but because the tactics he's drilled into his players since he's been there and likes to employ are the best tactics to combat how we play. Keita being poor defensively helped Atletico a lot, Mo playing inside a lot without Trent deeper with Hendo ahead of him as we will likely employ v the filthy didn't help either because Mo wasn't tracking their LB as part of the tactics and Mane was inside also and not tracking his, so they got 5v3 against our midfield far too many times

Jurgen tweaked that at HT and they weren't able to release players in the areas they had been so easily first half in the second

Really happy with the win, Atletico are the team above all others Premier League and Champions League who by their design, quality of players and how aggressive and well drilled they are in their preferred tactics and way of playing will always cause us the most problems, so to get a win at their place is a brilliant result for us

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Agreed.

I personally, would have used the £40m we spent on Konate and added a midfielder. Phillips could easily have been 4th choice (if not 3rd) this year. Despite his excellent performances last season he hasn't had a look in this year. Gomez and Konate have gone stright in ahead of him ( I have no issues with either player BTW ).

If I were him, i'd be looking to move on. He's not going to get another chance here. He's far better than 5th choice.

Regarding the game - I think we were better than a lot on here are giving us credit for. It's a horrible place to go and play especially against a sea of shithousery. The lads battled and kept the ball reasonably well. Fab should have played as a DM from the start. Not one of the midfielders would just sit and cover the gaps in the first half.
    I can see us having agreed terms with Konate ahead of his summer move and perhaps before Philips did what he did for us.
    Feel Jurgen hates reneging on agreements and rightly so as you don't want too many fekir incidents, so wouldn't have pulled Konates move to get a midfielder in first.

For me part of the frustration about the whole Gini saga is that we have a squad that would perform better playing another system than Klopps tried and tested 433.
    His 433 setup at its best needs a certain type of midfielder. At least 2 of a certain ilk and often 3 of that ilk.
    Whereas our squad has an excess of centrebacks who in a 343 could see us only need 2 of those midfielder types.
    Or a 4231 as we have an excess of attacking type midfielders/wingmen/strikers again requiring only 2 of our midfielders to play.

I'd be harsh on Keita where he's at fault but really think the team switched off after he scored that beauty.
    The result is fantastic but one I think we needed to get(not for qualification), they're a tricky side and we have previous. Whereas the performance wasn't great for a few reasons.

It was vital we signed a CB and we did.

Konate will get his chance to shine if we didnt sign him and VVD/Gomez broke down injured imagine the reaction !

We could do with a CM as Thiago seems to be quite brittle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I can see us having agreed terms with Konate ahead of his summer move and perhaps before Philips did what he did for us.
    Feel Jurgen hates reneging on agreements and rightly so as you don't want too many fekir incidents, so wouldn't have pulled Konates move to get a midfielder in first.

For me part of the frustration about the whole Gini saga is that we have a squad that would perform better playing another system than Klopps tried and tested 433.
    His 433 setup at its best needs a certain type of midfielder. At least 2 of a certain ilk and often 3 of that ilk.
    Whereas our squad has an excess of centrebacks who in a 343 could see us only need 2 of those midfielder types.
    Or a 4231 as we have an excess of attacking type midfielders/wingmen/strikers again requiring only 2 of our midfielders to play.

I'd be harsh on Keita where he's at fault but really think the team switched off after he scored that beauty.
    The result is fantastic but one I think we needed to get(not for qualification), they're a tricky side and we have previous. Whereas the performance wasn't great for a few reasons.
    4231 doesn't work for us, there are numerous very obvious reasons why it doesn't work and wouldn't work, but you keep on.

We don't have a No9 for the 1

We don't have forwards suited to playing deeper and who are dribblers and ball carriers

The 3 would inhibit our full backs ability to function at their best, getting in their space and congesting that area

You really should see it, it is so painfully obvious, when we've reverted to that late on in games to try and be more 'solid' we've almost always conceded goals and been less 'solid;