Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atleti away postmatch discussion

Atleti away postmatch discussion

From the off Naby looked like he'd be a weaklink on our right side. In the opening minutes atelti had a foray down our right side, Salah had tracked back just beyond Keita who was playing rcm and often put of position. Scored a lovely volley but let men past him too easily for their goals.
    The first allowed lemar to cut back for a finish and the second saw his man get past him and cut out 4 lfc players iirc with a pass. Several players caught out.

Our left side was fairly dysfunctional with the ball, Robbo turned over a few balls, but this side saw several bad passes or passes for runs not made.

After naby scored there was a real drop off and atleti outfought us for most of the game. Let's call this mental fragility...
    Fabinho had an impact but the double sub later in the half saw a better impact imo.

All in all it was a mad enough game, the positives..
    No injuries
    3 points
    Top of the group and a reaction v manu

Reflecting on the game itself and Naby at rcm.
    I think we had the wrong setup, a 4231 would have been much better in stiffling athleti with the ball.

.............Salah
    Keith Firmino Mane
    ......Milner Hendo

A double 6, with Keita left where he might get on the ball and develop play and Mane on the right as he's a far more resolute defender.
    Salah up top and hanging out on the right.

From the matchthread jozza said

"For shits and giggles I had a quick look

Since losing 4-1 at Spurs in October 2017 we have lost (League and CL) -

2017/18 - 5 games for the remainder of that season (2 of which were a European Cup semi and Final)
    2018/19 - 5 games total. Only 1 in the league!
    2019/20 - 6 games total. Only 2 games in the league!
    2020/21 - 11 games total. Which is a lot less than I thought it would be
    2021/22 - 0 games.

So in exactly 4 years we have lost a grand total of 27 league and CL games. 15 league games in 4 years. We lost 14 games in the league in Owl's season in 2010/11.

Just think what it would have been with a few fit defenders last season..."

Imagine if we had utilised Philips earlier, going off his actual performances last year we had an answer and who knows what would have happened had he been deployed earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    From the matchthread jozza said

"For shits and giggles I had a quick look

Since losing 4-1 at Spurs in October 2017 we have lost (League and CL) -

2017/18 - 5 games for the remainder of that season (2 of which were a European Cup semi and Final)
    2018/19 - 5 games total. Only 1 in the league!
    2019/20 - 6 games total. Only 2 games in the league!
    2020/21 - 11 games total. Which is a lot less than I thought it would be
    2021/22 - 0 games.

So in exactly 4 years we have lost a grand total of 27 league and CL games. 15 league games in 4 years. We lost 14 games in the league in Owl's season in 2010/11.

Just think what it would have been with a few fit defenders last season..."

Imagine if we had utilised Philips earlier, going off his actual performances last year we had an answer and who knows what would have happened had he been deployed earlier.
    Agreed.

I personally, would have used the £40m we spent on Konate and added a midfielder. Phillips could easily have been 4th choice (if not 3rd) this year. Despite his excellent performances last season he hasn't had a look in this year. Gomez and Konate have gone stright in ahead of him ( I have no issues with either player BTW ).

If I were him, i'd be looking to move on. He's not going to get another chance here. He's far better than 5th choice.

Regarding the game - I think we were better than a lot on here are giving us credit for. It's a horrible place to go and play especially against a sea of shithousery. The lads battled and kept the ball reasonably well. Fab should have played as a DM from the start. Not one of the midfielders would just sit and cover the gaps in the first half.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

The general consensus from a lot of neutrals in the football world was that AM did play their shit-housery game tactics, and dark arts. They were merely surprised that the Ref was having none of it, or at least not all of it.
    Swings and roundabouts if you look at Mane v City red card.
    Mark Pembridge (spell) guy on the MUFC forums watched the game and even he was fair in the analysis, at the same time publicly stating that Salah will be a tough ask against pork pie Shaw on Sunday.
    Based on how tonight's game goes for them, next Monday could see Allardici back in the greater Manchester area.
    My take: We deserve the breaks sometimes, and a tough game like this will keep our players on their toes for Sunday
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

It’s a good point about us being on our toes for the filth.

Let’s hope so.

Cracking game. Could have gone either way. Nice to come out the right side of one against them for a change.

I thought that was as clear a red card (for that offence) as I've seen as other players were all around and it was highly unlikely someone wouldn't be going in for the ball with their head. He then connected clearly with an innocent head. Can't see the controversy.

Keita's goal was a thing of beauty with all the sliced contact.

A Fish Called Wanda. Those insufferable cheats can keep their snazzy new monstrosity of a stadium. There is not a Multiverse out there which contains a more beautiful square of footballing grass than the one at Anfield.

Quote Originally Posted by worldpanel View Post
    The general consensus from a lot of neutrals in the football world was that AM did play their shit-housery game tactics, and dark arts. They were merely surprised that the Ref was having none of it, or at least not all of it.
    Swings and roundabouts if you look at Mane v City red card.
    Mark Pembridge (spell) guy on the MUFC forums watched the game and even he was fair in the analysis, at the same time publicly stating that Salah will be a tough ask against pork pie Shaw on Sunday.
    Based on how tonight's game goes for them, next Monday could see Allardici back in the greater Manchester area.
    My take: We deserve the breaks sometimes, and a tough game like this will keep our players on their toes for Sunday
    The Mane red was my first thought when he was dismissed.

Shaw has kept Mo relatively quiet and has been one of their best performers in recent games against us.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Simeone is a absolute shithouse, but he's a cracking manager. They are a bloody horrible lot to play against but they are very very well drilled. Us scoring 3 against them is a great achievement.

Also the 5 sub rule helps when you play teams who know every trick in the book to try and get players booked. Jurgen made some smart subs bringing off players on a yellow.