Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brighton home draw - postmatch discussion

I thought virgil was poor for their second goal. His reaction was very slow to the ball played in behind. He was slow on the turn to cover back. I know he is coming back from a serious injury but right now his reactions aren't where they need to be.

Vieira is doing a decent job at Palace think there was a worry he would be like De Boer and play an open attacking game but one difference is Vieira knows the league he played here for a long time so he knows what it takes for lower half teams.

The up and coming managers are Frank and Potter who are both doing excellent jobs you can tell they are both tactically smart.

Taksin is spot on as soon as we drop points the hissy fits start the number one moan seems to be Gini Gini Gini well yes he was a good player for us but HE choose to go and on £250k a week he was always likely to go, does anyone seriously think he is worth that ?

Every team drops points and we seem to have some fans now where if we don’t win it’s the end of the world in my opinion all 4 draws were fair results 3 of the games were end to end and Chelsea lost a player so had to sit deep and defended well though I would have expected us to win that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    If this is a cheap shot at me, Steveo, I'll remind you I said I believed we needed another midfielder at least 6 times over the summer, even naming a few preferred candidates. The argument with you is on your reflex to the accusation of underinvestment. We were missing something like 5 first team midfielders yesterday, if you include Keita. Klopp likes those midfielders and likes to use them. Whether you and I agree with him on that is a side argument, not an era defining truth.

One thing that is very tiresome is returning to this argument every time something suboptimal happens on the pitch. It never happens when I'm with my mates who I go to the game with. They don't turn into a bunch of pussies every time something goes wrong. They can keep their eye on the big picture. They also have a general sense of excitement for where things are at the moment and even, dare I say it, some gratitude.

As for midfielders, Man City had some decent midfielders out there yesterday. I'm not sure they have underinvested in recent transfer windows. Maybe they're all just shite or Crystal Palace are the dogs bollocks. Strange how football arguments go.
    Taksin it was not a cheap shot at you - wasn’t singling you out, I believe you were one a bunch saying we had plenty though.

It was simply attempting some slightly humor and highlighting precisely what I stated in August about a lack of reliable players in that midfield. It has been coming for weeks - we have been wingin it.

Keita has suddenly become the saviour? The guy was hooked at HT in Madrid before we lost that game. Thank the good lord for Griezman’s high boot, He (Keita) has qualities we all know about BUT has more than an equal amount of detrimental issues too. Milner is too old to be relied upon too and I won’t even start on Oxlade Chamberlain.

Thiago who I live to bits is another one - injury prone and not dependable across a season,

The facts are clear - wether we go on to win the title or drop out of the top 4, just as last season, selling one senior CB and not replacing - this summer was madness.

It seems to be tiring for you to return to this topic - but not tiring listening to the same folk try and tell us black is white? Beating United 5:0 certainly went to a few heads, not those that really watch.

And Palace beat City who went down to 10 men - like Chelsea did at Anfield.

We can all cite a result or a rival losing, that isn’t the mature position though is it? I could see the problems in the United game despite the 0:5 score line, didn’t stop plenty scoffing at the mention of it.

I also stated that Brighton was a Banana skin and a tough game for us mentally after that win. That is because of our human nature but also because v United on another day - we go behind and it’s a different game. All games have moments that can go one way of the other. We are wingin it in that midfield and it is wrongly obvious to me.

If you sell a player of Gini’s importance, then fail to replace him and believe you have plenty, you haven’t really been watching.

As Taksin says it doesn’t matter what I think as I’m not in charge of transfers at the club.

I have continued to say we should have signed a midfielder and kept saying Bissouma is the man although off the field issues will keep him at Brighton.

I watch each game on its merit yes we should beat Brentford/Brighton but they are allowed to play well and they both did.

We are more open this season that is imo a tactical switch and what confirmed it for me was when Klopp started Harvey Elliott against Chelsea we are scoring / creating loads something we didn’t do last season but this year we have done that, although that does come at the expense of being more solid.

I’ve also stated very clearly I expect us to finish third and from what I see nothing will change that view that doesn’t mean we have failed we just don’t have the resources of City/Chelsea that is a big factor.

The fabulous one would've made a huge difference yesterday. He was sorely missed.

All of this is dancing round the subject

on another day against united they could have beat us (you really are in a very select worldview with that one)..
    City went down to 10 men..
    just like Chelsea did at Anfield (i.e. Palace are better than us?)..
    Keita was pulled off at half time..
    those, like me, who have been really watching..

blah blah blah, as Greta Thunburg would say

All of those certainties can be answered and qualified. We haven't even proven that the problem yesterday was a lack of midfielders. As I pointed out, that wasn't the problem at the Etihad. Things do go wrong from time to time. We had three midfielders yesterday who should have been able to cope with Brighton.

The sad thing with you is, when things do go wrong you have your list of certainties to have a go at your fellow reds, including 'I believe you were one a bunch saying we had plenty'. We are five midfielders down, two of them from nasty red card tackles. All you can think is 'I told you so'. That isn't solidarity.

Add to that the arguments on here haven't actually been about whether we had the perfect stock of midfielders. They have been about whether the Yanks were draining us of resources as opposed to overseeing a period of advancement. Whether the financial uncertainty around Covid measures support a policy of going into debt to buy players. Whether bringing in someone like Elliot represents the kind of development that is pleasing to Klopp. And whether the 'aggregate' of midfield options is a better way of seeing the squad planning in the absence of Wjinjaldum.

Then at the hint of a home draw, you claim that Thiago is not dependable across a season. Captain hindsight triumphs again.

That's the last I'll say on the subject today - you can have the last word. Spending more time with my match-going mates recently made me realise how depressing this forum can be. Being quietly confident doesn't lend itself to internet forums.

All makes sense and I would have to agree.

Personally I have t seen anyone throwing a hissy fit in here either. I know Justme was miffed - understandable as Chelsea are now opening up a gap and we were at home to Brighton.

Any team can drop points to any other team in this league as we all know and for me it really isn’t just about results. For me it is about the hard yards the likes of Hendo and Milner are having to put in so early in the season.

I am a worrier - as many have rightly said and I do worry about that midfield win lose or draw.
    It looks threadbare to my eyes. Oxlade - Keita and Thiago could see less than 38 games between them, so counting 3 seems nuts IMO.

EDIT: Was agreeing with LEGS certainly not you on this Taksin. I didn’t say on another day United could have beat us (though that is always possible). I was suggesting that I could see the glaring midfield problems. No need to invent what you think I have said when it’s all there. Also on Palace the point I was that Palace beat 10 City men away from home while we couldn’t beat 10 Chelsea men with 45 minutes at Anfield.

Last edited by Steveo; 31st October 2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I have continued to say we should have signed a midfielder and kept saying Bissouma is the man although off the field issues will keep him at Brighton.
    But he's been injured, LEGS. In hindsight we might end up seeing that we always knew he was going to fall short due to his injury record

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    But he's been injured, LEGS. In hindsight we might end up seeing that we always knew he was going to fall short due to his injury record
    That is true anyone can get injured as you have seen with Van Djik and Elliott who are not injury prone players.

It is possibly why we are looking at Tielemans due to his injury record.

Bissouma/Ward-Prowse are two others who have great records on that front.

I can take Steveo point about Thiago he is quality but as the yanks say “Your best ability is your availability” not always the case if the player is crap but still it sounds good !