Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brighton home draw - postmatch discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    @19
    Jones had a poor game yesterday, so did Hendo. Jones has been our best midfielder in a good few games already this season. Expecting him to cover for Oxlade Chamberlain and Hendo at 6 - is hugely unfair especially when he played on Wednesday in an awful lineup that somehow beat Preston.

The entire midfield was pants yesterday let’s be honest.
    Just lol Steveo, I watched the game, I've watched the extended highlights twice, Hendo is, as in the other game, exactly where he needs to be and should be almost every time throughout (if you understand the press and counter press and how it works that is) picking up the man he should be, tracking a runner and going with him when that's the right thing to do

Jones hasn't been our best midfielder in any game I've watched, he put in 2 very good performances or rather much improved performances lately, by actually backing himself and playing the passes that were on rather than playing safe and 'passing' responsibility to another player constantly, he's never been on the press properly in any game I've watched, he's always been a bit of it even in his better performances, look at Brighton's first goal, look where he sprints to, and where he sprints back to, then his man fucking scores

It's why I go mad about Fab and persist because it drives me mad, to my wits end what so many say here, as to me they just don't understand the press or the concept of the need for each player to be close enough to go when they need to and in a great many situations, just like defenders holding a line, it is absolutely vital and imperative for those pressing ahead of them to identify their man, the danger to their area and just stay with him in a great many situations, I get you all love players running around like headless fucking chickens charging to where the ball is, trying to get a foot in, but in the press and counter press, knowing who your man is and staying with him is very frequently THE most important thing to do and the right thing to do

I wish more of you understood that, rather than let your like of previous styles we've played over the years and your want to see players charging around throwing themselves into tackles when that's actually bad for how we play get the better of you
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 31st October 2021 at 01:42 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

So how much better do we think Hendo would have been v Brighton had he played the game v Preston? Did you watch that game too?

The fact is the for yesterday’s game the midfield was out of options and it showed.

Hendo scored a goal - his first in a year, levelling his tally with Alisson.

Beyond that he wasn’t much better dude - doesn’t take much understanding to be honest.

@Steveo I too thought Brighton could be a potential banana skin.
    Although they didn't play their typical back 3 setup they readjusted and made midfield very compact and wide off the average positions. This exploited our 433 setup very well.

It was similar to atleico where they packed midfield and outnumbered us in there which turned the game. Our players lost their mental edge but Klopp failed to rejig our setup to counteract theirs.
    City aside I think most of our other non-wins have come against team playing with a back 3 setup.

There are a few things wrong at the minute.

1) every game is a cup final, but we don't have that mentality just yet and like before.
    2) our tactical inflexibility is an issue and one for Klopp to really look at
    3) our midfield injury issues

With regards Gini, there's no point crying over spilt milk. At 300kpw we are looking at Salah wages and he's ageing. Last year we had Philips but we didn't know it.

This year we have Morton who many seem to rate. We also have other means of addressing midfield injuries. Change of system or dropping a defender in there to stiffen it up.

Jones, Naby, Ox, Jota, Mini are hardly like for like replacements for Fab say. Whereas a tsimikas or gomez could add a more natural defensive quality to the side.

Imo we've had a great start to the season but Klopp has some work to do in sorting out a few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    So how much better do we think Hendo would have been v Brighton had he played the game v Preston? Did you watch that game too?

The fact is the for yesterday’s game the midfield was out of options and it showed.

Hendo scored a goal - his first in a year, levelling his tally with Alisson.

Beyond that he wasn’t much better dude - doesn’t take much understanding to be honest.
    Point missed again Steveo, he was better because he was playing the system we have played since Jurgen stepped foot in the door, he was playing his role, as it is supposed to be played and playing it very well, our issue was that after Keita was forced off, our other 2 midfielders weren't playing our system, they weren't picking up their men and being close enough to them to support the press of our forwards, they weren't recognising who their man was and when they had to stay with them, Oxlade was worse than Jones overall, he kept continually going to Bobby's man with Bobby leaving the player he should have been close enough to, or blocking the line for a pass to

Whose man scored Brighton's first goal Steveo? At any point in that passage of play did Jones recognise that was his man in his LCM area? Did he, or did he not, run right past his player twice in the build up to that goal, charging to an area he didn't need to go and shouldn't have been going to and in doing so, opening up a space for the ball to be played through as he wasn't even blocking the lines when charging about

After Keita was forced off yesterday only one of our midfielders continued to do everything correctly and to support our system working, the other 2 didn't, it's that simple, if one player doesn't play the system properly it can cause problems, if 2 don't and they're both in midfield, it fucks up our entire game and way of playing
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Keita - hooked at HT in Madrid.. the latest saviour chuckle.

I think we all see who is deliberately missing the point.

Going back to something from last weekend, we certainly are not a one man team as I stated.

There is not just Salah and his goals but also Virgil and Alisson….sadly, Salah didn’t score, Virgil wasn’t at the races and Alisson was beaten twice..

I guess the other ‘world class’ players just weren’t good enough to make the difference even with a 2:0 lead at Anfield.

Midfield is more average than Stevo in bed ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Midfield is more average than Stevo in bed ffs
    I still blame you for yesterday BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Robbo played both their lads on, then having got to Trossard just had to hold him up and not dive in and try and win it
    Agreed about Robbo, holding him up. He needs to be showing him the line. Letting him cut in was poor, maybe due to his momentum of getting across.
    But look at virgil in all of that sequence. If he reacts quicker aftet the pass then he is there to cut out trissard as well. Not saying he is fully at fault for the goal, but his reactions are not what they used to be, just yet. Saw it against Madrid also.

It's a worry how we are letting leads slip currently.

Hendo was average yesterday. I never rate very high Hendo like always said here. He was energy, he leads by example but technically he is average at least.
    Jones make me say bad words that I can't say in front of my kids when watching the games, he slowly the game so much that meke me nervous. Yesterday he exaggerated a lot, when he can play quick, with one touch and a quick pass forward, he instead before make a pass he touch, then another touck, another touch and:
    1 he loses possesion
    2 he make a pass backwards.

I know he is young but he keep make that mistakes again and again.

Firmino yesterday should be replaced at 60th because he seems sleeping on the pitch really but Klopp was poor again on time he make a sub, Jota only replaced Firmino at 78th minute. So late when we are drawing and play without Firmino for some time. Ps. And that chance Firmino miss on first half, Origi or Jota never miss that one.

Time to bring in Minamino to our midfield

Jones does take too many touches - it is an issue no doubt.