Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brighton home draw - postmatch discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Jones does take too many touches - it is an issue no doubt.
    At least he didn't hide. Unfortunately our only real midfield option on the bench the Ox, had to come on for the injured Kieta in the first half.
    No Tiago, Fabinho,Milner and Elliot was the problem. Like last season all our bloody injuries are in one area of the pitch.

Jones has big potential.

Once again like last season, with the exception of Virgil the injury crisis (lamented as once in a generation) is mainly made up of players who are continually injury prone (Matip,Gomez, Oxlade,Keita, Fabinho & Thiago),, too old (Milner) or in Elliott’s case, a child with 3 Premier league starts under his belt.

If the squirrel doesn’t put enough of his nuts down - the winter cold will bite harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kop On Portugal View Post
    Jones make me say bad words that I can't say in front of my kids when watching the games, he slowly the game so much that meke me nervous. Yesterday he exaggerated a lot, when he can play quick, with one touch and a quick pass forward, he instead before make a pass he touch, then another touck, another touch and:
    1 he loses possesion
    2 he make a pass backwards.

I know he is young but he keep make that mistakes again and again.

Firmino yesterday should be replaced at 60th because he seems sleeping on the pitch really but Klopp was poor again on time he make a sub, Jota only replaced Firmino at 78th minute. So late when we are drawing and play without Firmino for some time. Ps. And that chance Firmino miss on first half, Origi or Jota never miss that one.

Time to bring in Minamino to our midfield
    That's Jones to a tee, he had 2 games recently in which he was better, he played the ball when it was on

I think we'd have been better keeping Bobby on and hooking Jones or Oxlade for Jota and letting him be the attacking mid
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

We don’t seriously want to start gambling on Jota or Minamino in the middle though? Surely that is a huge risk.

We don’t seriously want to start gambling on Jota or Minamino in the middle though? Surely that is a huge risk.
    I'm not sure Steveo, the press and link play from Jones and Oxlade was THAT bad and Jota's improved hugely in both those things this season so far, needs to keep improving obviously, but he does it better than either of those and is familiar with playing as an attacking mid and as a forward, we tried in once before v City and were absolutely bumming them until Jurgen tried to shut up shop after 25 minutes

Just need a few back from Injury like Thiago ASAP and do our best to find some quality in the January market. I worry when players are moved into new positions, wouldn’t have been an issue had we done that in the summer.

Thiago has been out ages. What was the injury he picked up?
    Agree with Steveo about the depth in midfield, yes there are/were numbers but made up of crocks. It was always going to become an issue, so much so that maybe Morton might start seeing minutes in prem games soon.
    We have Ox who right now looks like he belongs nowhere near this club anymore. He's never been a top end performer but he's not even doing a bit part now. Unfortunately he'll see his contract out.
    I disagree totally with the notion that Keita was suddenly "in form" and ripping it up. A couple of goals can disguise a lot, looking ok against a Utd side that was the worst in memory last week does not make him special. He had been sporadic before that, still rarely puts a full shift in.

We are well stocked - or so said the resident experts.

And if not then we have been hit with an unprecedented injury haul like no other team suffered - ever… Honest..

Bit off topic, but worth a discussion.

It's not really that bad of an injury crisis. Only way it's like last season is its 5 from the one department.

Keita - Hamstring 4-6 weeks
    Thiago - calf/shin/heel could be back for Atletico
    Fab - Knee - could be back for West ham
    Milner - could be back for the next game v arsenal
    Elliot - should be back before the end of the season
    https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

Hendo, Fab, Milner, Thiago, Ox or Keita, Jones or Elliot.
    8 players for 3 berths. 6 if you count ox/keita and jones/elliot as halves due to injury and age respectively, which I think is a fair point.
    Morton maybe this years dark horse ala Philips. ​

The Gini hole is an issue, he fits in with the first 4 listed above and ahead of Thiago. These water carriers are a massive part of any team.

But he took a massive wage off PSG we couldn't match. 300kpw turning 31 on the 11th of November isn't a demand we can match.

Not sure how much more love the club and fans could have shown him, the bullshitter
    Klopp, league, cl, wcc titles and his very own boss chant.

Should be the the target position for January, maybe Klopp has someone lined up.
    Seems Klopp intended on using the 2 younger boys but they're not exactly of the same ilk.

I think the idea was Hendo playing LCM and RCM controller role or offensive and No6, Fab No6 (unfortunately) Milner LCM, RCM controller or offensive and LB and RB, Naby LCM or RCM offensive, Thiago LCM or RCM controller/deeper playmaking or offensive, Jones fill in the best he can given his limited experience and ability, Oxlade LCM or RCM offensive or No9

Morton isn't so much a dark horse, he's a very talented young man who wasn't on any of our radars because we hadn't seen how astute positionally and at reading the game and in his passing he is and with an already quite defined role a skills set, not a player like jones who doesn't really know what he is (along with most of us ) or what skills that are part of our set up he can bring to the table.

The term water carrier is incredibly insulting to players of the required ability to play at the very highest level, these 'water carriers' are most frequently more astute and highly developed in their reading of the game, positioning, re-positioning, knowing when to press, when to go with a runner and when they need to stay put, anticipation and passing, which often may be simple, but also devastatingly effective and their overall understanding of the game and team dynamics is often and most frequently far greater than the other players in their teams, they are in essence, the true difference makers

Water carrier, shit kicker, grafters or engines aren't demeaning terms as I see it.