Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sort the left flank out Jurgen

Sort the left flank out Jurgen

For 2 seasons and the beginning of last it was our most potent and productive, a constant threat, the switch and opportunity to release Mane or Robbo in acres of space or in behind was always on.

It suffered hugely as a result of last season's enforced changes, but we can't try and go through the entire season with only one flank functioning or presenting a threat in attack, using the entire width of the pitch and having constant, pertinent and persistent threats on both flanks is what won us the League and Champions League

Get it sorted, we're too many games in now with no recogniseable improvement whatsoever and Brighton today and Chelsea when down to 10 men left acres on that side and compressed our right to snuff it out and we had nothing on our left, not good enough
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Not sure what's happening but Robbo's been gash for a while now.
    We hardly ever see him getting to the byline and crossing the ball.
    His corners are usually shit.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

He’s the best we’ve got

Tsimikas was hardly amazing against the mighty Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Not sure what's happening but Robbo's been gash for a while now.
    We hardly ever see him getting to the byline and crossing the ball.
    His corners are usually shit.
    We used to use both flanks and attack with the same number of players supporting the play on either flank when the opportunity to do so was our best way of attacking, it's not just about Robbo and Mane, we've put so much time and work into our right flank, our left flank has gone to absolute shite.

Mane used to regularly hug that left flank in periods of the game and make outside in runs past the FB in behind the CB his side, with and without the ball, we don't get any of that at all in any game now, not even flashes of it

Literally everything we do or try to do is almost entirely focused on our right side now, we've become unbalanced and we're in danger of letting teams flood their left and inside left area with players, and constantly try and play longer balls in behind Trent all game again

In our Champions League and title winning seasons our left side was our most potent, it got most of our big breakthrough goals or was the catalyst for them after a switch or long ball to release Mane or Robbo or a ball through midfield to release Gini or Gini driving the ball forward from his LCM controller position.

Last season in the first few game up until Virgil and Gomez being out and for 3 or 4 after we were still doing that and it still worked, but since we ditched it to having the LFWD playing so far inside most of the time, the threat we provide from that flank has almost disappeared entirely

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    He’s the best we’ve got

No one came out of that game with much credit, Tsimikas was no worse than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    For 2 seasons and the beginning of last it was our most potent and productive, a constant threat, the switch and opportunity to release Mane or Robbo in acres of space or in behind was always on.

It suffered hugely as a result of last season's enforced changes, but we can't try and go through the entire season with only one flank functioning or presenting a threat in attack, using the entire width of the pitch and having constant, pertinent and persistent threats on both flanks is what won us the League and Champions League

Get it sorted, we're too many games in now with no recogniseable improvement whatsoever and Brighton today and Chelsea when down to 10 men left acres on that side and compressed our right to snuff it out and we had nothing on our left, not good enough
    Almost every goal came from breaks down our left vs united didn’t they. I think robbo is just not delivering his final ball well. Watched the full 90 of united game Thursday night. Robbo was actually our best player on the day with the benefit of a re watch. Mangled them down that side.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Almost every goal came from breaks down our left vs united didn’t they. I think robbo is just not delivering his final ball well. Watched the full 90 of united game Thursday night. Robbo was actually our best player on the day with the benefit of a re watch. Mangled them down that side.
    Not in the same way, nothing like it, it was through what I talked about before the game, Wan Bissaka being excellent one v one but being all at sea and easily exposed if you played it to players in positions he'd have to come out to them and could play around him and that for that game the LFWD being inside more would actually be of great benefit, we exposed his weakness at that brutally and beautifully

We used to build up on the left as we build up on our right, we used to try and release Mane in behind as much as we did Mo, including through good build up play and little balls through the channel for him running inside the FB off the back of the CB or off the back of the FB or far more evenly at least, we used to get a lot of player around the ball and into the centre to left area in build up and switch to our right flank wide open as much as we used to do it the other way

We haven't been doing any of that with any frequency or consistency since we dropped the line last season or since the start of this season

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    He’s the best we’ve got

Look who he had up front and on the wings to feed. Put any of our top players with a bunch of youngsters and there’s not much they can do.

Robertson needs dropping for a month or so. He’s utter garbage right now

Yes, but it isn't about Robbo, it's about the patterns of our play and how we have stopped using that left side effectively and getting numbers into that area as evenly as we used to our right

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Yes, but it isn't about Robbo, it's about the patterns of our play and how we have stopped using that left side effectively and getting numbers into that area as evenly as we used to our right
    And Robertson is very much part of that problem on the left, not whoever is in midfield or Mane on the left. If he is getting to the byline it's up to him to deliver crosses that find a team mate not an opponent. Forwards DO get into the box, but never receive it. He has been woeful for months now. Tsimikas wouldn't get that many games if he played like Robertson is doing.