Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sort the left flank out Jurgen

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    And Robertson is very much part of that problem on the left, not whoever is in midfield or Mane on the left. If he is getting to the byline it's up to him to deliver crosses that find a team mate not an opponent. Forwards DO get into the box, but never receive it. He has been woeful for months now. Tsimikas wouldn't get that many games if he played like Robertson is doing.
    Your assessment of it somewhat misses the point though, because we build up and got and had other players in areas we were attacking from on the left and right pretty evenly prior to last season, Robbo benefitted from the support of those players, Mane or Gini would often release him in behind the full back with a ball down the line or through the channel to cross, or would make a run to take a defender with them to give him more time to cross, or would go outside him for him to go to Gini usually, who would go to Mane (wide) while Robbo had moved inside a little to be found by Mane in time and space to cross, making a run to take players away for him also - All the things with Mo, Elliot, Hendo and Keita that Trent has constantly and consistently benefitted from to give him better positions and more time and space to cross and more opportunities to cross

It is futile to try and put it all down to Robbo when he is getting that same support to work crossing positions and better crossing positions for him and isn't getting anywhere like the support he used to and is getting far far fewer opportunities to cross than he used to

We'll have many games in which 60% or more of Trent's crosses including corners and free kicks amount to nothing or are ineffective, but he gets loads more opportunities made for him to cross, as Robbo used to. Robbo will get 2 or 3 opportunities, 6 or 7 including corners to put a cross in all game these days, not in as good positions as he is used to and without players making runs to take defenders away to give him more time and space to cross

It's not down to any one player, it's down to neglect and too much emphasis and focusing almost all of our attacking play on the right flank
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Needs a bump - West Ham did exactly what Brighton did against us today, totally closed off our right flank, the only flank we've been attacking down all season, left space on our left for us to attack, nothing doing

FUCKING sort it out, try playing Tsimkas there for a start, at least he can deliver from the left, when released alone in space without the support Robbo used to enjoy, all our players make runs for him expecting he'll connect them, with Robbo none of them make runs, they all stand off waiting to attack the ball he 'put into an area'

Mane needs a few games of being asked to do what he did for us constantly prior to last season too, attacking full backs, making runs in behind them, making diagonal runs inside them off the back of the CB and attacking either with the ball to get half a yard and finish

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Needs a bump - West Ham did exactly what Brighton did against us today, totally closed off our right flank, the only flank we've been attacking down all season, left space on our left for us to attack, nothing doing

FUCKING sort it out, try playing Tsimkas there for a start, at least he can deliver from the left
    Whether it's Gini's departure or Keita's lack of availability (or both) Robbo is definitely receiving the through-ball between full-back and centre-back way less often from the left-sided 8 in our set-up.

It would be great if we could get it back (it's not exactly uncoachable for whoever fills in, be it Thiago, Jones or even a Taki trial) as right now, the Robbo-receives-it-wider-than-normal-and-whips-it-somewhere routine is getting us nowhere.

It really heightens my appreciation of Trent's delivery. Robertson seems to target space, Trent targets a head or a space in front of where he anticipates the arrival of a runner he has spotted - he's insanely talented.

Until we can see a return of the appropriate pass (and patterns of play that lead to said pass) to get the best out of Robbo, Tsimi should absolutely be in. Klopp will have his reasons but at present I am not understanding Tsimi being behind Robbo in the pecking order, on current form. Tsimi's delivery (not a massive sample size admittedly) looks much better and at least that would be a percentage "regain" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It really heightens my appreciation of Trent's delivery. Robertson seems to target space, Trent targets a head or a space in front of where he anticipates the arrival of a runner he has spotted - he's insanely talented.

Until we can see a return of the appropriate pass (and patterns of play that lead to said pass) to get the best out of Robbo, Tsimi should absolutely be in.
    Exactly that, Tsimi will try to put it on one of our players heads, or into the path of where they are running/pointing for them to attack and they make runs for him expecting him to deliver or knowing there is a good chance he will because of that.

Robbo puts the ball into what he thinks is a good area, even though his look up snap shot of where players are before playing the ball should have told him none of his choices today were good areas

The pass to release our left back in forward positions is coming from CM most frequently, it quite often came from centre to left switches from Hendo or right to left switches from Trent and Hendo in the past, because we have no consistent and recognisable attacking threat on our left, our switches, which used to be highly prominent in our attacking play and ability to unlock teams, have also become almost none existent

For me when the ball to release Robbo came from LCM it was usually from Gini, but more from and central area when he'd got possession and drove forward to the centre, then releasing Robbo in space wide

I think we've taken our eye of the ball in all honesty, we had enforced changes last season and managed that situation absolutely brilliantly, but from Jurgen's system played at it's very best and for it to ultimately be better able to break down all comers I think Jurgen and his analysis team need to look at footage of Jurgen's system played the best it's ever been played in his time here, and get back the elements they have let slide including the best of the new elements they developed through enforced changes

I've backed Robbo unequivocably, but for me he should be playing Tsimi and not doing so today was a major error, just as not getting Matip match fit for Champions League last 16 in 19-20 and thinking Gomez was good enough was a major error

Except his (Robbo's) ball to Mane from Trent's perfect switch, our only switch of the entire game I might add, another really strong part of our overall game through 18-20 (seasons we consecutively won the 2 biggest trophies in) that has completely disappeared - When teams set up with lows blocks and packed defences it's important to have attacking options both sides and working the ball patiently on one side, before switching to a player in space on the opposite side is a very good way of getting breakthroughs and creating opportunities to score from.

As we saw in City's game v the filthy, City keep the width using both forwards wide, we usually keep it by keeping one wide with the other a little inside with LCM or RCM and the full back that side working the width, on the balance of our players abilities, Mo should be inside on the CB with our RCM and Trent creating the width and Mane or Jota should be keeping the width the other side with Tsimikas or Robbo well positioned to be in quick support or ready to make a run at the point the ball is set for our player to put a ball in, we get too many of our forwards too narrow too much of the time for me, I think it comes from playing the deeper line and playing a fair few games 4312 last season because of personnel and Jota's injury so not having him for games we needed our No9 to get in the box more

Why just the left flank? The midfield is rubbish and seems to have a free pass.

Bullied again, west ham was better in midfield ffs

As both threads were closed straight after Steveo’s posts - Gary must have it in for him like a West Ham VAR judge - I’ll re alone here

‘Mortal enemy’ was a joke Steveo. I referred to you as a friend a few posts earlier

Taksin
    Xxx

I thought so mate..

In my honest opinion Robertson badly needs a rest. Not sure when he last had a proper break. It's a tough position to play week after week.

As 19 says, West Ham focused all their attention to our right, effectively marking Salah out of the game. Maybe, we should have moved him over to the left in the second half. We don't seem very good at adapting during games. Plan A has worked very well for us obviously, but it would be nice to have a plan B in case we get out thought.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

You can look at all the videos you like ive seen fans pointing fingers at different players for each goal it was a mess and the second is the worst of the lot.

Why did none of the 3-4 players just take Bowen out as I can tell you this Milner would 100% have took a yellow there.

We dont do enough of that plus I just found out from Wilshere you are totally allowed to smash players early to "let em know they are in for a game" you learn things everyday.