Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter / Summer Windows, what / who do we need? Na

Bellingham and Bissouma would make us far harder to dominate in midfield

Liverpool would have to pay close to 80m euros if they wish to sign Sporting Lisbon and Portugal midfielder Pedro Goncalves, 23. (Record, via Sport Witness)

I don't get where the getting dominated in midfield comes from, sure teams have played through our midfield, or rather down the sides of it in a couple of games, 2 or 3 so far this season, or bypassed it with long balls using a runner from midfield to make a 3rd attacker should either of their forwards win their long ball as Brentford did, but the passing down the side of our midfield has only been through poor positioning by one or two midfielders not so good at the press, because the balls to find a player wide of our midfield 3, in a 4v3 or 5v3 situation have come from deep, so that isn't dominating our midfield, it's playing around it, because we're not blocking the lines or picking up.

If we had Bellingham and Bissouma not press or block the lines as our current mids are supposed to, and teams were trying to create 4v3's or 5v3's to bypass our midfield with width through balls from deep, they'd still be able to do it

The adjustment for stopping it happening is like the adjustment we made for the filthy and other games, it generally happens when we play the 4312 which I'm not sure why we're still playing if I'm honest, because both forwards are inside, when in 18-19 and 19-20 one when one was inside, the other was pretty much always wide and if our play broke down the wide forward would track the full back or wing back their side so they weren't released or able to make a 4 or 5 v our midfield 3 and the full back the opposite side would usually be more advanced because our forward that side was inside, so already be in a great position to pick up the wing back their side to stop them making a 4 or 5 v our midfield 3, another reason why I think we need to work on our left flank too and get that balance and 'natural in the way we play and are set up' knack of always having players in the right positions to stop the overload back
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

My reasoning on what we need in midfield hasn't changed form the summer, we need a player who can play LCM or RCM controller and at No6 - Hendo and Fab have both had medium term injuries the past 2 seasons, Fab absolutely needs the support of a LCM or RCM controller alongside him, both in some games, Hendo is a lot better with and also needs a LCM controller, when he and Gini played together, we seemed to be able to play whatever type of RCM we wanted and any of them without any issues, so Bissouma definitely fits the bill (no pun intended) for that. Bellingham fits the bill as the more attacking RCM, both would slot into our set up very quickly and comfortable and be better than all the current options to play with Hendo or Fab or Hendo and Fab except for Millie, but he's old as fuck and can only play a game a month

Gini would be very handy against the big boys and in Europe to give us more control in midfield.

I think we need to forget about Gini he has gone we need to look forward we need a CM who is mobile, can press and not scared of hard work.

Baku Bissouma Bellingham tick all of those boxes plus are in the 18-24 bracket.

Outsider shouts are Ward-Prowse and McGinn these arent flashy players but they imo would be effective in our system.

To play in a Klopp midfield is very very demanding that is why its not easy to find the right player.

As Tees says Hignett has confirmed Jude so we can discuss forwards now 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Gini would be very handy against the big boys and in Europe to give us more control in midfield.

I think we need to forget about Gini he has gone we need to look forward we need a CM who is mobile, can press and not scared of hard work.

Baku Bissouma Bellingham tick all of those boxes plus are in the 18-24 bracket.

Outsider shouts are Ward-Prowse and McGinn these arent flashy players but they imo would be effective in our system.

To play in a Klopp midfield is very very demanding that is why its not easy to find the right player.

As Tees says Hignett has confirmed Jude so we can discuss forwards now 😂😂
    This for me is the key point. Whoever we go for needs the legs to be a Klopp midfielder.

As i've mentioned before, it's harsh to judge the midfield when we're down to 5th/6th choice. It's a strong midfield when Henderson, Fab, Thiago and Keita are fit. And we can get away with it when we lose one or two in the same position. We've lost 4 (5 if you include Harvey).

Bissouma is a big talent. Corentin Tolisso is out of contract in the summer, he would tick a lot of boxes! I would take Ward-Prowse but it's a definite no on McGinn.

We could move Gomez on and keep Phillips and we'd still have 4 quality CBs.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

I guess we will be looking shift Ox on next season.

One thing we need to keep an eye on is homegrown players if Milner goes too which I hope he doesnt.

In an ideal world we keep both Gomez/Phillips both are still very young at 24/25 a summer of coaching from Nineteen and we'll have Maldini & Baresi on our hands !

McGinn is a good player but he wouldnt be high on my list either but it seems he is one we quite like but there is younger & better value out there.

I like Nkunku at Leipzeg he is available at £40m next summer he can play front 3 and as an attacking midfielder which increases his chances.

Think this Jovic link is BS myself.

As Tees says Hignett has confirmed Jude so we can discuss forward now ����
    Chiesa - Perfect fit, the intensity of the lad, the different skill sets that perfectly compliment how we play and will be most useful against so many different opponents

In an ideal world we keep both Gomez/Phillips both are still very young at 24/25 a summer of coaching from Nineteen and we'll have Maldini & Baresi on our hands !
    Neither will ever be that as long as his doesn't want a pay hike and is happy to be a bit part utility defender, and has the humility to recognise that Virgil, Matip and Konate are all miles better than him I'd keep Gomez as he's homegrown, Phillips doesn't have his pace but is much better at real defending, reading it and positioning himself and miles better in the air and he got the experience to be better from going on loan and having to do actual real defending. At the age Gomez is now, it's a little late for him to learn what he hasn't so far, he really needed a loan for a season or two like Phillips had to get the relevant experience

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but we are liable to be a bit short of strikers when the African Cup of Nations, or whatever it's called, is held in January.
    Is Matip still"retired" from internationals?