Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter / Summer Windows, what / who do we need? Na

We need a CM and Forward before a CB so if we signed this bloke we then cant sign another foriegn player unless we sell one.

We not sell Origi/Minamino as we are going to need them when Mane Keita Salah go to the African Nations.

Im not saying we wont sign him next season but he is not a priority for Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    If everything ends up fine Bisomua, Brighton will demand a hell of a lot of money for him in January.
    I think we need to ditch Keita and Oxlade.. The latter doesnt offer anything..He had his moments in the past.But hes not going to do it now im my opinion and Keita.Simply because hes injury prone and again will never do it. because hes never fit. Theres rumours of Philips at Leeds.. id rather we'd go for Rice or Tielemans.
    But that would mean spending lots of money..Lets see if the owners will loosen the purse strings.My opinion is they wont. And to me if Salah doesnt sign his contract before the summer he will be sold as well.
    I was part of the Bissouma fan club up til recently but then he got arrested in a nightclub for sexual assault (don't know how that all turned out) and I just thought, no, not the kind of person we want in the dressing room, in the squad, in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I was part of the Bissouma fan club up til recently but then he got arrested in a nightclub for sexual assault (don't know how that all turned out) and I just thought, no, not the kind of person we want in the dressing room, in the squad, in the club.
    I know, its always the case when you sign players. what their ego is like. we do need a similar type who an break up play and get forward.. To many passers like Thiago wont cut it.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Thiago is quality. His fitness isn't the best though and that much was known before we got him.

He needs to play with at least one other on his level. Not too much to ask is it?

26 points from 30 and no Senior CB's - short memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He needs to play with at least one other on his level. Not too much to ask is it?

26 points from 30 and no Senior CB's - short memories.
    On his level in what aspects?
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    On his level in what aspects?
    Technique.

To clarify that admittedly vague term in football use.

For me, it is the ability to control a football when it's fired at you and kill it gaining control in an instant. The ability to move a ball fast while still maintaining control of the ball.

Allows a player more time to pick the right pass and not panic. Possession can be more controlled when leading a game and more incisive when chasing.

The game some may point to that we deployed in 2019 was high energy and fantastic but IMO not the highest quality. Not sustainable as players can rarely maintain that physical level for long before injury or fatigue.

This is what I have seen over the decades from the top continental teams, the serial winners. The great Italian and Spanish sides especially.

https://youtu.be/Rh1su-yPPsw

Obviously, we don't have anyone close to a peak Modric but -we should be looking.

Modric personifies the highest level of technique for me. Never rushed and almost always in control.
    Last edited by Steveo; 11th November 2021 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The game some may point to that we deployed in 2019 was high energy and fantastic but IMO not the highest quality. Not sustainable as players can rarely maintain that physical level for long before injury or fatigue.
    I wouldn't describe our game through 18-20 as high energy, 19-20 it was incredibly controlled,, controlled possession, rarely allowed the opposition to have any meaningful possession, and not through running about expending loads of energy ourselves either, we always made the opposition do more running in every game than our lads had to, but through continual and constant expert positioning, actually conserving energy, so many games in which our keeper and 2 CBs were practically spectators and barely had to break a sweat, our full backs were the 2 players in our side who used the most energy.

It's no surprise that Guardiola at City has seen how Jurgen evolved the game from the tappy tappy style once employed by top European sides and his own side and has taken so much of the very best things we did in 19-20 and added it to his Man City set up and play, starting from last season and improving on it this season, things we have ironically ditched the vast majority of, and in the case of the fluid midfield 3 that was an incredible evolution in 19-20 that Guardiola has employed at City, didn't even realise or recognise it had happened and become integral to our playing at our best.

I'm not a massive fan of Guardiola, but he was one of the managers of perhaps the best continental serial winning side, and his ditching trying to recreate that at City in favour of adopting a huge amount of what our lads did in 19-20 and that proving more successful for him, well, it should tell any savvy football person all they need to know

Mane injured tonight great this international footy init

Ffs

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Mane injured tonight great this international footy init
    Just searched that, reports seem to be saying he was taken off as a precaution