Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressing sessions - Video analysis department

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    You cant press for 90 minutes. its the facts we try and press so much, that costs us goals.. We play an high line so try and compress the space in the oppositions half. Nothing wrong with dropping off and allowing a team to play infront of you for a change. Its not a matter of getting the press wrong. Its a matter of not needing to do it all the time.
    You do realise we do it all the time in every game? In the games we do sit deeper we still press, Jurgen just sets the press in a different place, to target different opposition players to nick the ball from in different areas - I'm talking about players playing the press correctly, I'm not talking about trying to squeeze every single opponent really high in their own half the entire game, that's not what pressing and counter pressing is, it isn't exclusively about doing that, I'd actually prefer we set our line a little deeper the truth be told
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think Jurgen and the analysis team need to watch the games v Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield UTD, Thursday 26th Dec 2019 to Thursday 2nd January 2020 and take it from there

again you dont seem to grasp. you cant always play like the game against Leicester..BCAUSE?? there are other teams out there and they wont allow it get it?
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

again you dont seem to grasp. you cant always play like the game against Leicester..BCAUSE?? there are other teams out there and they wont allow it get it?
    As an example of the positioning and repositioning and continually almost perfect positioning of the players who played throughout the entire game, AGAIN, I'm not talking about playing every game like we played that Leicester game, or the Wolves game, which we played differently because they play 3 at the back, or the Sheff UTD game, which we played differently again because they play 3 at the back and present a different challenge to Wolves 3 at the back

please try, I know you're neurotypical so may find it very difficult, but try to realise how the press works, that it is played differently and set in different places for different opposition and it's about good positioning (of all the players in combination) to better control the game and restrict the oppositions opportunities while increasing your own and to actually save energy by not running as much, it is not about blindly charging all over the pitch to wherever the ball is, if you can grasp that, you might belatedly understand my Fab concerns also, the press is reliant on the continual good positioning of all the players, if one, two of three have rushes of blood and don't understand the importance of staying with their man, then it creates an issue, especially if your No6 is doing it

I picked those 3 consecutive games as the press and counter press was near perfect in all 3, they were consecutive games, against different opposition, and how we press and where we pressed was different for each one of those games

Been reading this thread, and it has me wondering. There's the possibility of so much video analysis, so much detail.
    1. The scope for other teams to analyse our style of play can enable them to nullify anything we might do IF we stick to just one or two "styles".
    2. Why can't we mix it up more than we do? The more styles of play/formations we use, surely gives us a better chance of breaking other sides down.
    Do other people think we are already doing what I've mentioned in 2?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Been reading this thread, and it has me wondering. There's the possibility of so much video analysis, so much detail.
    1. The scope for other teams to analyse our style of play can enable them to nullify anything we might do IF we stick to just one or two "styles".
    Teams have had that, as advanced, for 2 or more decades now, our style of play prior to last season's enforced changes, plus City's employing of numerous aspects of it last season and this are 2 absolutely brilliant examples of why what you suggest might be achievable isn't

So many teams try to do just as you suggest and have been trying to do that to the top teams for over 2 decades, occasionally one of them will pull it off successfully, maybe one or two over a season, but with top top teams who continue to evolve and build on how they play, not losing sight of essential parts of it that were and are absolutely essential parts of what makes it successful, teams know how good they are, the numerous ways they will attack them and beat them, they do exactly as you suggest, but they're unable to stop it even though they know exactly what to expect, that's what makes top teams top teams

I think the beauty of our press and counter press system, played as it's very highest levels in that 15 game run in 2019-2020, is that it rarely allows opposition players to receive the ball in any time or space to try and execute their plans, and crucially it allows you to create numerous absolutely random points of attack from winning second balls, with 2 or 3 of your players already brilliantly positioned to get to the ball to finish ahead of any defender if played right that no team or video analysis department can prepare, organise or legislate for, in the same way they can't legislate for a moment of individual brilliance

Still absolutely nowhere near our 2018-2020 levels, absolutely nowhere near them, too many players simply not good enough in understanding and their ability to play the press and counter press, struggling from the absence of Gini who despite lacking in his passing ability understood how to play the press and counter press brilliant and was always available and in combination with Hendo in the side, enabled us to play virtually any other midfielder with those 2 and for the press and counter to be at far higher levels than anything we've seen this season, another penny pinching season derailing error from FSG, the second in as many seasons

I cannot fucking understand how players can be so poor at it, it isn't a difficult concept at all, have your head on swivle constantly scanning taking pictures of player positions

Position yourself off our other players in an appropriate position to nip ahead of a player to nick the ball, be on top of them as they receive it, or block any line for a pass or force them to have to pass it to a certain area

Defend when we're attacking, get in great counter press positions when we're attacking and you don't need to be involved in the attack at that point, to be able to stop and potential counters if our attack breaks down AND through doing that be in a position to make a late well timed run into the box or into a position to create

We're getting too many numbers in the box too often at times, dragging more opposition players into the box congesting the area making it more difficult to pick a player out AND getting too many players ahead of the ball leaving us far more open to counters, also meaning that when an opposition player gets a toe to the ball but not an effective clearance and it breaks towards the edge of the area we almost always have no player there to seize the opportunity and drive it home- That's disappointing because with Jota getting in the box in situations Bobby often didn't and others timing later runs into it, we had been doing a lot better on timing runs into the box and not congesting the area earlier in the season, even through the counter pressing positions weren't right

You talk about Gini as if he is Pele/Maradona rolled into one.

We would still be nowhere near even if he was here history over last 5 years shows that.

Yeah we arent as good as 2018-20 but getting 97/99 points isnt the norm is it again history shows this.

Chelsea spend loads and have a big squad and in same place as us.

The league is another asterisk isnt it really I mean Covid is causing "some" teams to cheat.

Something stinks like Newcastle now have Covid which happens after they lose Wilson and ASM yep nothing to see here.

We had to play with our U11s two years ago against Villa now its a complete mess.

G.Nev clubs should use U23s ok fine but he has only said it after United had a 2.5 week break funny that he never mentioned that before.

It had sod all do with "pressing" it was the facts we cant handle low block teams. Teams like Leicester that stand like statues against Man-city and then when they play us close down every inch of space for over 90 minutes.. (dunno where they got the energy, oh yeah again playing us) Leicester will now have a pretty poor run in the league, they had their cup final last evening.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

It had sod all do with "pressing" it was the facts we cant handle low block teams. Teams like Leicester that stand like statues against Man-city and then when they play us close down every inch of space for over 90 minutes.. (dunno where they got the energy, oh yeah again playing us) Leicester will now have a pretty poor run in the league, they had their cup final last evening.
    Yeah,, they were celebrating as though they had won a trophy.