Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevie G new villa manager.....

Stevie G new villa manager.....

All the best hope it goes well for him, bit of a risk on his behalf from where he was with rangers.

It is a risk but this will tell us if he is going to make a good manager.

He fails here he has no chance of getting the managers job here.

I have felt very uncomfortable with all the talk he would manage here after Klopp imo he needs to prove himself first and this is as good a club as he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I have felt very uncomfortable with all the talk he would manage here after Klopp imo he needs to prove himself first and this is as good a club as he can get.
    Think Lijnders is likely to get the gig, but can discuss that in another thread.

Interesting choice with Villa. I don't think they're awful, so avoiding relegation wouldn't be cause to declare him a top manager, but they also probably aren't going to get Europa League football easily with Spurs/Arsenal/Leicester around, so I'm not entirely sure what he can "prove" with this job by finishing mid-table a couple of times.

Anyway, very best of luck to him. He clearly understands it's a process unlike a Ryan Giggs figure. Hope he gets what he wants from the job.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I was curious to see if he would retain the title with Rangers but opportunity knocks.

Hopefully he'll take Ryan Kent with him so we can get a windfall from the sell on clause.

Villa fans still upset with him for that tackle on Villa U-23 coach George Boateng twenty years ago but they accepted Gerard Houllier as manager.

So Gerrard back at Anfield in December, then to Goodison to face Rafa in January, if he's still there.

All the Irish lads can go back to liking him again !!
    Rangers posted a loss of over £20 million and failure to get champions league group stage money was the writing on the wall. Also I can see Ryan Kent following him.

He’ll likely be working for sky by 2023.

Agent Stevie to take Villa down Even if he were successful with Villa by Villa's standards, he's never a post Jurgen or Jurgen gap year contender for me, we've done the old boy things to death, almost all clubs have, it doesn't work out.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    He’ll likely be working for sky by 2023.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Think Lijnders is likely to get the gig, but can discuss that in another thread.

Interesting choice with Villa. I don't think they're awful, so avoiding relegation wouldn't be cause to declare him a top manager, but they also probably aren't going to get Europa League football easily with Spurs/Arsenal/Leicester around, so I'm not entirely sure what he can "prove" with this job by finishing mid-table a couple of times.

Anyway, very best of luck to him. He clearly understands it's a process unlike a Ryan Giggs figure. Hope he gets what he wants from the job.
    I cant see Lijinders getting the job its a huge ask to go from coach to managing us.

Yes Kenny was the last to do it but with the media now its a harder job its why you not see a Wenger/Ferguson again doing 20+ years at a club.

I think Villa is as good as Gerrard was going to get and Leicester arent as big a club in fairness.

His other option was sit at Rangers and gamble Klopp goes in 2024 and he gets offered it.

Happy for him, of course, and hope it works out.
    I'll never be mad at former players/managers doing what they have to do and taking a job - even if it's at a rival club.
    King Kenny managed Blackburn after us and even won the title with them (at Anfield, no less), and he is no less loved by us for what he means to us.

That being said, I think it's a risk to leave what was a relatively cushy situation with Rangers.
    The SPL is a two-team league and Celtic are currently on a down swing and slump these past couple of seasons, so it was a chance for him to pad that resume with titles and possibly get Rangers into the Champions' League as a consistent contender witha benchmark of getting them out of the group stages (to me that would have been a good achievement for him to aim for with a team of that calibre to prove his readiness to take over here).

Villa are what they are.
    He could surprise everyone and do a Viera at Palace or a (puke!!) Moyes at the Hammers and make them a team no one can afford to ignore.
    Or it go all go tits up like it seems to be going for Rafa at the Bitters.

I'm not too fussed about a former player managing us. We've had a mixed record with that in the past (King Kenny, of course, and at the other end of the scale Souness).
    Certainly Arsenal (at this moment,...now) are not regretting having a former player of theirs at the helm there as Arteta seems to have righted the ship, and they looked like they could have had a replacement option ready in Viera if things didn't improve with Arteta.
    And for all we know, Jurgen could change his mind and put off his retirement from club football for another couple of seasons and extend his contract at the last minute (especially if the national team job is still not available), rendering all this talk of his succession moot.

We could do worse than Pep as a gap year(s) manager replacement (we could also do better). But at least now Stevie gets to prove himself in a "real" league to show he's really up to levelling up to manage a team of our calibre if he,....say,...gets Villa into the Europa league and a deep run there. And also depending on what type of team he builds there and what style of football they end up playing under him.
    He seemed to be trying to model his Rangers after a Klopp-style team (i.e. lots of attacking intent but also lots of holes at the back for opposition to exploit)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!