Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: But I thought FSG had no money?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Who says that FSG and John Henry are skint?

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32646194/fenway-sports-group-advanced-talks-purchase-pittsburgh-penguins-source-says

To be fair though, Ice Hockey teams are probably the least expensive, or of the least worth of all the 4 major American sports.
    (Still more valuable than your mid-range (non-Big 6) Premier League team, though)

But still, you can't spare a few quid to buy Jurgen a midfielder to replace Gini and attacking cover?
    If he liquidated all his net worth, he could fund a high net spend on transfers for 2 decades, maybe 3.
    Of course he wouldn't own lfc or a majority share then.

Between this and the Saudi take over think its safe to say investor confidence is high for sporting ventures.
    The pandemic has shown the relative robustness of the game thanks to TV deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Good point.

Certainly, they are not skint, like all billionaires, Henry's vast loot only came to fruition via extreme creative use in escaping/evading tax laws. It really is that simple. Unlike Roman, he isn't willing to put his own dosh down. This is simply the reality of the franchise ownership model. This is strictly business. Banking in effect. The second critical mass is reached and the club's value is at the accepted peak - it will be sold off to WHOEVER pays the highest price. In the meantime, they can cream in revenues in other areas by association with the huge brand of Liverpool FC. Win WIn.

The fact that so many Liverpool fans don't see it this way has no bearing on the reality.
    Roman was good friends with Boris Yeltsin iirc and positioned himself to benefit from working with the state.

To a point yes - but it is far more complicated than that. A young Roman was close friends with the late (friend of Britain 'cause he eventually turned against Putin) Berezovsky who in turn was close to that great 'friend of Bill Clinton' Boris Yeltsin.

Yeltsin - the US preference post glasnost, a legendary drunk (the ideal fool for the US to pick off post-Soviet knowledge and infrastructure) became hugely unpopular with the newly formed Russian state population, in effect propped up by the US via 'white house fellatio king' Bill.

Biggest election meddling in history..and a real one too.

All well-documented CC.

Interesting read on the topic here by
    Patrick Cockburn of the Independent...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...p-1436470.html
    Last edited by Steveo; 18th November 2021 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    My understanding is Karius isnt registered so we cant play him he is being paid to train.
    Just to revisit/confirm, Karius is definitely registered. Mental, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    FSG spend money?
    To be fair we do have a -

- £114m Main Stand
    - £50m AXA training centre which, amongst other things, should help our Academy talent by being closer to the first-team.
    - £80m Anfield Road extension which should hopefully be finished by the time Klopp goes.
    - Appropriate wages/agent fees dished out so we don't lose our star talent - Houllier/Benitez era we don't hold onto Salah/Alisson/Van Dijk etc

We want more of course (even me!) and nobody's pretending they aren't set to profit from their investment - as basically every semi-sensible business owner intends to do.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Insidious i may have been harsh on you and i dont mean it to be that way. I can understand your positivity on things. Just i think that FSG are being complete shits with how they are running the transfers part of the buisness.
    Its fine bringing the kids through. But they have to be good enough in the end.we need real quality transfers to compete.
    Water. Bridge. Hakuna Matata.

They do have to be good enough. Some folks will want ready-made talents more than developing youth, some will want to develop youth more - most will recognise you can do both but will be placing themselves on different locations on a line with "now" on one side and "later" when it comes to transfers.

I've an idea of how I'd formulate a squad and so does everyone else. I do think we need transfers too for what it's worth, but can see where it's difficult to justify in certain areas.

Take midfielders, which I think people know my stance on. For those that don't, I personally think we're numerically absolutely fine for them (we've 8 players for 3 spots before considering "emergency" options like Minamino and Firmino) but am of course not blind to the fact that some of ours are injury-prone. I can't imagine being, say, a Fiorentina fan having a look at Liverpool's squad and thinking "yep, they need a ninth midfielder for sure" - especially in a context where Gomez allegedly wants a loan due to a lack of game time when we have 4 centre-backs for 2 positions (technically 5, but I'm not counting Phillips as we all know he's a last-resort option) ie 2 players with one back up each, when we have 8-for-3, ie two of our three midfield positions have two back-ups. That was a little convoluted, bu the long-and-short of it is, I can understand why Klopp/whoever might not be getting funds for a midfielder until someone is shifted on (I'd shift Ox personally, if it weren't for our Homegrown issues and the likely departure of Milner) in that area.

Certainly if we did have a very robust 30-game-a-season player (let's say we'd acquired Kessie and he was super consistent for fitness) we'd all be advocating to loan someone out or sell someone.

Also I'd love a forward. Yes, we have six of them, but I'd rather do something like Origi+Taki depart for a "Jota-level" transfer to come in, then give the 6th spot (Firmino, Mane, Salah, Jota, Jota-esque + one other) to a youth player. But I'm not sure we'll see funds without a departure, as I very much suspect (and I don't blame them) that FSG probably look at the wages we spend on lads who are hardly on the pitch and see it as an inefficient use of resources. Karius alone earns about a third of the £200,000 a week we need to "find" to bring Salah's contract up to £400k-per-week and Salah's contractual top-up would represent much better "value" even though it's expensive.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

I agree Sid I think he did get registered after Shaqiri went to Lyon.

He will be gone by next summer as his contract is up but he might go in Jan if a club moves for him.

Sid the club pays for all of the infrastructure. FSG don’t put a dime of their own cash in. Everything is on a loan and paid back - new main stand was an interest free loan by the owners - how charitable! .

You can’t keep using what they have taken 11 years to STILL NOT DO and use it as mitigation for a lack of spending when the key sodding owner just increased his own personal wealth by £600,000,000 this year alone.
    Last edited by Steveo; 19th November 2021 at 10:57 PM.

Sid the club pays for all of the infrastructure. FSG don’t put a dime of their own cash in. Everything is on a loan and paid back - new main stand was an interest free loan by the owners - how charitable! .

You can’t keep using what they have taken 11 years to STILL NOT DO and use it as mitigation for a lack of spending when the key sodding owner just increased his own personal wealth by £600,000,000 this year alone.
    This simply doesn't bother me in the way it does a lot of other fans. I wouldn't expect charity per se from business owners.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

To a point yes - but it is far more complicated than that. A young Roman was close friends with the late (friend of Britain 'cause he eventually turned against Putin) Berezovsky who in turn was close to that great 'friend of Bill Clinton' Boris Yeltsin.

Yeltsin - the US preference post glasnost, a legendary drunk (the ideal fool for the US to pick off post-Soviet knowledge and infrastructure) became hugely unpopular with the newly formed Russian state population, in effect propped up by the US via 'white house fellatio king' Bill.

Biggest election meddling in history..and a real one too.

All well-documented CC.

Interesting read on the topic here by
    Patrick Cockburn of the Independent...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...p-1436470.html
    Roman runs with some colourful characters

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    This simply doesn't bother me in the way it does a lot of other fans. I wouldn't expect charity per se from business owners.
    Fair do’s, but for me it gets used as justification for a lack of genuine desire to keep developing and improving the squad at the crucial time.

Fair do’s, but for me it gets used as justification for a lack of genuine desire to keep developing and improving the squad at the crucial time.
    Steveo does make a fair point, we have failed to invest when we were at the very top, significantly in not bringing in a CB to replace Lovren which cost us incredibly dearly last season and saw us not able to even mount a credible defence of our title and lose it or rsther give it away with a whimper, then the summer just gone, a complete failure to replace a midfielder who was absolutely essential to us. You invest when on top, to ensure you stay there, it has always been that way, if you don't, you don't stay at the top for very long and end up spending more money trying to get back there
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”