Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The demise part 2 - look away if you're superstitious

They will probably sell Kane. Probably to City. Of course Kane would score goals at City, but it might disrupt the way the team plays having a centre forward.
    But then Spurs would have to be super clever/lucky in the transfer market if they are going to lose one of the only two good players in their squad.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ralf Rangnik will be good for utd, unfortunately. He is a kind of mentor to Klopp. He will sort out their training and coach them to a higher level than they have been used to for years.
    I wonder how it will affect the clubs relationship with Ferguson and Ronaldo.
    Then again, with games coming now pretty much twice a week to the end of the season, how much time will they actually have on the training ground. That is why Klopp always really stressed the importance of a proper pre season. Look at the effect a full pre season has had on Salah.

Smells a little like - if you can't beat them, join them..

Let's go down the Teutonic route..

Yes, Ole was a Viking himself but everything he knows was shown him by Whisky nose. Seems Zee Germanic approach to engineering is the one most coveted now, can't imagine why.

We're doomed, vikings at the wheel of the black pearl

He'll no doubt be a very effective bit of Elastoplast - though given they need major surgery, he'll have a tough job on his hand.

Wouldn't be difficult to improve them on the coaching side of things, but does anyone look at them and think they have the key components to become a Gegenpressing machine?

Time will tell.

I think they could be trained to press a lot better than they do now and that should see a vast improvement.

But it’s not as simple as that - we buy our players based on needing them to perform in that way. Jota probably wouldn’t atttract the attention of their scouting team - Sancho and Fred did.

If Phillips can play a solid role in a pressing set up there’s no reason why Maguire couldn’t. But I doubt Fred or Ronaldo will ever work that way.

So the question is if they can identify the right problems, be ruthless and then buy the right replacements. There’s a lot going on there that requires harmony between the manager, the scouts and the CEOs. If they don’t have a long term appointment as manager, who is in charge of squad development?

Let’s hope it’s more like the Titanic route

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    I think they could be trained to press a lot better than they do now and that should see a vast improvement.

But it’s not as simple as that
    Indeed it isn't. I think they have a really difficult time with fixtures, something like 11 matches in 40 days, which is hardly the ideal situation for trying to imprint a new way of playing.

Ourselves, City and Chelsea should hold firm this season unless there are big complications - so if they want to be in Europe's elite competition next season, it comes down to one of two things -

1. Can they win the "mini-League" with the likes of Leicester, West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham and thus get 4th?
    2. Can they "pull a Tuchel" and win the Champion's League?

Both are big asks in different ways, at a difficult time, with certain players not being ones you'd back to smoothly fit in (Maguire, Lindelof, Martial, Pogba for example) with January being a difficult market at times.

Nothing is impossible in football and they could surprise (and horrify!) us all. But take a look at the earliest part of Klopp's reign. We weren't brilliant overnight - it still took time, with high-scoring, high-risk games and more points dropped than we'd have liked.

Maybe they pull it off. But it's a huge job.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

It seems oddly cautious, just signing him as an interim for 6 months

...and then he stays on for 2 years in a consultancy role?

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think Ralf Rangnik will be good for utd, unfortunately.
    I'm not so sure, I think a huge part of their issue is they have over inflated egos and have had praise lavished on them for being rank average and Mike Riley's 'Team UTD' officials giving them free hand outs they are now really struggling to get away with with this year's long overdue 'meaningful contact' interpretation, they haven't played good football or anything approaching it for a very long time now and most of those players think they are entitled to get free hand outs and have it easy and appear to have had the majority of their coaching over several years focused on going to ground easy and winning pens and free kicks
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”