Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're going to win the league !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're going to win the league !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start chanting bois
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

We're competitive, which is always the platform upon which you build.

I tend to feel that if you're within even 7 points or so of top spot with 25 matches played, you have a chance. You want to be closer (or in the lead) of course, but it can still be done from there.

If we're still close after 19 games and then still close again after 25 - who knows?!

We certainly aren't out-of-the-race in November, thankfully! We had too many years of that.

I would say if we are 7 points behind City after 25 games we would have zero chance.

Now you need 90ish points to win the league we'd need City to slip up 3 times in 13 gsmes possibly 4/5 times as you would say we wont win last 13 games.

Oil clubs are much harder to chase than what Arsenal/Utd were at the start of EPL era.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I would say if we are 7 points behind City after 25 games we would have zero chance.

Now you need 90ish points to win the league we'd need City to slip up 3 times in 13 gsmes possibly 4/5 times as you would say we wont win last 13 games.

Oil clubs are much harder to chase than what Arsenal/Utd were at the start of EPL era.
    Easy to say and has an element of truth but I am not sure it tells the whole story. We could be looking at points totals in isolation while missing the key point.

The game has fundamentally changed to allow attacking teams a much bigger advantage. All benefits have gone towards the sport as TV entertainment. That is where the cash is. Defenders cannot just kick lumps out of players and cripple them as they could up until the tackle from behind was outlawed. How lucky were Messi and Ronaldo? Talk about timing. Then the multiple camera angle replays meaning refs and the world could see what certain players were doing. The cynical and career-ending tackles were largely gone by the early 2000's.

It changed the sport totally. Changed it to hugely benefit those teams with more technically gifted attacking players. Were it not for Chelsea and City it would have remained with the likes of United and Arsenal, as they had the most cash before ROman rocked up. Seriously Imagine Maradona in the modern game. He could play or Norwich and they would be literally unstoppable - I mean he was at times anyway but that was only when players couldn't take him at the hip or the knee. Imagine his value in the transfer market today?? The game has changed.

Oil is used far too often IMO. Blackburn Rovers bankrolled a title at the start of the Premier League era. it isn't oil or gas that is the problem on their own, it is simply money. The TV revenues have magnified the money in the sport and along with the HUGE sponsorship deals, it has become a business in itself.

In many ways, we benefitted from the money Roman brought in. It was the start of the end for United and Arsenal. that was what broke that duopoly.

Instead of chasing those two who would probably be out of sight by now - the new guard of Chelsea then City gave the rest a window. Leicester City took a pop and so did we.

In the 12 years from the Premier League start only 3 teams won a title and one was Blackburn bloody Rovers!
    In the last 12 years 5 teams have won a title..

Here is the list of winners since the Premier League inception:

2020/21 Manchester City
    2019/20 Liverpool
    2018/19 Manchester City
    2017/18 Manchester City
    2016/17 Chelsea
    2015/16 Leicester City
    2014/15 Chelsea
    2013/14 Manchester City
    2012/13 Manchester United
    2011/12 Manchester City
    2010/11 Manchester United
    2009/10 Chelsea
    2008/09 Manchester United
    2007/08 Manchester United
    2006/07 Manchester United
    2005/06 Chelsea
    2004/05 Chelsea
    2003/04 Arsenal
    2002/03 Manchester United
    2001/02 Arsenal
    2000/01 Manchester United
    1999/00 Manchester United
    1998/99 Manchester United
    1997/98 Arsenal
    1996/97 Manchester United
    1995/96 Manchester United
    1994/95 Blackburn Rovers
    1993/94 Manchester United
    1992/93 Manchester United

Yes money is a factor as always but Utd,Arsenal and Blackburn didnt really have a top class back up team.

Its clear that is why City especially under Pep are hard to stop your margin for error is small.

I think its right hatchett players were stopped one or two of my favs had their career ruined by them like Van Basten.

Diego was a genius but Norwich wouldnt be unstoppable with him !!

Spending money isnt really a problem for me but breaking FFP rules which ALL teans signed up for is.

I have zero respect for City/Chelsea they are no marks and only winning as they got lucky....Newcastle could well join em a team with no major trophy for 70 years.

I must point out that having the top class back ups will probably cause you to have a bad season due to player unrest.

Yeah they can earn £200k a week but they have an ego so want to play.

Look at Grealish gone from king of villa park to a squad player £100m for him yes £100m !!

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Yes money is a factor as always but Utd,Arsenal and Blackburn didnt really have a top class back up team.

Its clear that is why City especially under Pep are hard to stop your margin for error is small.

I think its right hatchett players were stopped one or two of my favs had their career ruined by them like Van Basten.

Diego was a genius but Norwich wouldnt be unstoppable with him !!

Spending money isnt really a problem for me but breaking FFP rules which ALL teans signed up for is.

I have zero respect for City/Chelsea they are no marks and only winning as they got lucky....Newcastle could well join em a team with no major trophy for 70 years.
    It might seem like an exaggeration but I disagree - in today's game - with all the protection on offer I believe Norwich would do a better job against us with Diego than West Ham managed with Antonio. There would be no way to stop him from scoring or putting them on a plate for others. The number of Red cards you would face in trying would be laughable.

Obviously, I have used Norwich as an extreme example but I think the point stands. Napoli finished 12th - 5th from bottom and 1 single point above relegation, the season before he signed. To think that in Serie A at the time of the great Italian teams (arguably the toughest league to ever win) to win their only EVER titles x2 and with Diego literally being assaulted with almost zero protection by modern standards. Think we have to recognize just how hard he was to stop. If you think what Suarez did for us in 2014 then multiply several times.

For me, in today's game - Diego goes into almost any side in almost any league and his side wins it. How would you stop him?

Obviously, it's great that those tackles are now illegal and all but wiped out. The game is better for it and we see the best players lasting far longer at the top and scoring far more goals

As for Arsenal and not having backup teams - I think relatively they did. Their bench was always pretty great when I looked in Wengers best years.

As Mentioned Blackburn only won 1 title over that 12 year period too. It was all just 2 teams.. How about that for a duopoly?
    Last edited by Steveo; 29th November 2021 at 12:01 PM.

For a start Norwich wouldn’t be able to get him on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    For a start Norwich wouldn’t be able to get him on the ball.
    So how did Napoli manage? A team just 1 point above relegation?

Nobody Got Diego "on the ball". He largely owned the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    So how did Napoli manage? A team just 1 point above relegation?
    They weren’t playing against a team that swarms all over you on your own 18 yard box. They literally wouldn’t be allowed turn to find him with a pass. The could smash hopeful 50 yard punts at him for 30 minutes until he got frustrated alright. Of course I mean now this is us in full flow. If yhey could get the ball to him then obviously our press beaten would be very unfavourable with maradona running at the two cbs