Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: On the first day of January...............

Arthur Cabral's numbers for Basel this season will likely see him get a move sooner rather than later.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Denis Zakaria recently changed agency before the January window as he might look at departing soon from Gladbach. Liverpool are very interested in him, as well as other Premier League clubs who could take him in January for a £10M fee.

[@gladbachlive]

I'd be surprised to be fair - we need more Homegrown players so buying a midfielder when it's our most stocked area (numerically, I know some are injury-prone) would seem an odd choice when we have Jones to come back, Elliott to come back, Morton breaking through.

Nat Beckenbauer wants to leave in January. Don't blame the lad really.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Sell him on Jan 1st and then for the rest of the month we can claim that the homegrown rule is hindering any chance of new signings.

Or swap him for Jarrod Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Sell him on Jan 1st and then for the rest of the month we can claim that the homegrown rule is hindering any chance of new signings.
    The homegrown rule IS hindering signings to an extent.

Can totally see the logic in having faith in some of our youth/Academy talent making up the "fringe" contingent in the squad. There's little point (in my eyes) in buying lots of £10m players to take up the hardly-ever-starts areas of the squad when we can wean in our own.

Then (ideally) that leaves us in a position to spend a bit more as required for the "key" positions and be able to afford an extra foreign player or two rather than be limited to over-inflated fees, especially in a post-Grealish market.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The homegrown rule IS hindering signings to an extent.

Can totally see the logic in having faith in some of our youth/Academy talent making up the "fringe" contingent in the squad. There's little point (in my eyes) in buying lots of £10m players to take up the hardly-ever-starts areas of the squad when we can wean in our own.

Then (ideally) that leaves us in a position to spend a bit more as required for the "key" positions and be able to afford an extra foreign player or two rather than be limited to over-inflated fees, especially in a post-Grealish market.
    This was a point I was making on one of the other threads.

I dont want us to go down the route of having a couple of £50m fullbacks sat on their arses most of the season.

At this point we should be looking for a forward who will likely replace one of the front three eventually but can contribute now and a midfielder who is going to replace one of Keita/Ox/Milner and or force their way into the first XI.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Maybe newcastle can afford him, or psg

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I dont want us to go down the route of having a couple of £50m fullbacks sat on their arses most of the season.

At this point we should be looking for a forward who will likely replace one of the front three eventually but can contribute now and a midfielder who is going to replace one of Keita/Ox/Milner and or force their way into the first XI.
    Agreed - ridiculous waste of transfer fees and wages.

Also 100% with you on targets. In my head I'd love Bellingham and "Jota II" but I'm not worried about the names so much as the profile. I'm sure we can find suitable targets in due course.

Belliingham would seem to fit the bill for what we need player wise, nationality, age.

The problem would be his overhyped value and also potentially starting him on too high a wage too early in his career