Page 17 of 79 FirstFirst ... 71011121314151617181920212223242767 ... LastLast

Thread: On the first day of January...............

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Happy New Year everyone.
    I know it's a bit early, but what the f...
    Let's hope LFC prospers in the new year, and maybe (LOL) we can get some transfers in to bulk up the quality of the squad.
    Best wishes to everyone.
    Many happy returns Redeb and all

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Do you honestly believe the Uk isn’t owned and controlled more by the US than any other nation? Seriously - where have you been?

I loathe the US political system but love many aspects of America. My sister lives in the states and I regularly visit. Great people just like most places I have visited.

Do I want American owners? No - not unless they are genuinely passionate about football - pretty rare from a nation where the sport is way way WAY down the pecking order.

I am sick of the many plonkas who want to make out they (FSG) are in some way noble because they spend less of their dosh than Roman - absofuckinglutely NOT.

Am I happy that they will continue buying sports franchises til kingdom come… Absofuckinglutely not.

Am I happy that they see us as just another franchise - absofuckinlutely not.

Do I want Saudi owners - Absofuckinglutely not, putrid

That is not being anti US and the US certainly does not represent a race like Arabia does.

Simple facts you might want to realise before losing the plot;

You seem like a nice fella legs, but you do betray the classic jingoistic nature of middle Engerland.
    Steveo it would be great to discuss these things in the off topic. Or start a thread in the football forum for an off topic but still football related topic.
    Also could you post those 2 links you posted about inequality, billionaires to taksin. One was from the guardian in an off topic thread I started ?

For me fsg run the club in a sustainable manner. They will benefit from increased value in their asset should they find an offer and sell.
    For whoever takes it over, having a well run and sustainable club is a benefit.

Under fsg Rodgers nearly won a league. Klopp nearly won a Sid cup with the shambles Rodgers left... For me Klopp could be doing better. Take himself out of covid pr and say he's moved on they're all vaxxed. Become more adaptable tactically and use the squad more regularly.

Far more than one death - like Blair Salman and the US and UK by proxy have the deaths of tens of thousands of desperately poor and largely unarmed Yemenis.

But legs what the fook has this got to do with Arabs and Russians and our sport? The Saudi’s have barely got in the seat.

Who has damaged the sport more than the the US owners? Have City spent that more than United? Have Chelsea spent more than City? And if so - is what they spend the only thing destroying the game?

Is Roman a Nation state too?

I mean what where and how does this convo resolve?

Let’s stick to what constitutes good or bad owners in Footballing terms.

There are lots of things that have damaged this sport more than US ownership, Steveo.
    You know that.
    Come on, don't be ridiculous.

You're taking this hatred you have for FSG to levels that are beginning to seem insane.

FSG are not the US govt.
    Nor are they an arm of the US govt., ... a subsidiary company run by the US govt. or even by a family with close links to the US govt, in much the same way the ownership of the likes of City, The Toon, PSG, and other Oil Baron run clubs are.

And yet you constantly keep conflating them with all the sins you attribute to the US Govt. (vis-a-vis their involvement in Middle Eastern conflicts.)
    And even that is more complicated and complex than you're making it seem.
    (Are you responsible for all the fuck-ups and missteps of a Bo-Jo govt. since they are British and by extension you are and by the democratic process you ostensibly put them in power.
    That's how you're essentially slurring all Americans and the US writ large, when you attribute every sin under the sun to them (and by extension FSG)).

Again, you know darn well its more complicated than that - and certainly not as straight-forward or more direct as it is with the "state-owned" club ownership models that the City's and the likes have.

FSG have their own shortcomings to answer for and God knows I'm not a fan of them.
    But they are a far far cry from the kinds of horrid ownership you're comparing them to that we would never want owning our club.

(Even though, I'm also not a fan of the "....at least they're not the journalist murdering despotic slavery-running ownership-types" compliment by comparison either.
    But the fact remains, that they simply are not.)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    I

Still as ive said before the EPL and our Govt have allowed these crooks to buy clubs.

They dont only buy clubs though Arabs/Russians pretty much bought the UK in terms of clubs, bars, property the list goes on.
    I took issue with this very flippant statment.

CD no, again I have no hate for FSG. I also do not equate FSG with the awful US global hegemony but others seem free to do the same with Arabs and Russians simply due to the very biased nature of our media.

This is the point.

If someone says all these crooks who own the UK are Arabs and Russians - I say hey wake up don’t be so brainwashed:

What has damaged the English League now called the Premier league more than Sky TV and US ownership..

Also who were the key instigators behind project Big Picture and the disgusting ESL proposals to monopolise the sport at the highest level?

I just ask for balance. I only ever go on a highlight of US transgressions when confronted with clear and obvious bias towards the US by folk on these British Isles.

Not all evil comes from Russians or Arabs or the Chinese.

What has damaged the English League now called the Premier league more than Sky TV and US ownership..
    Player Agents and their greed?
    Unaccountability of referees and officiating by the league?
    The fumbled attempt to fix that with the bungled advent of VAR by the same parties?
    The league's own greed for broadcasting and Television money (which goes beyond just Sky TV)?
    Lack of a player salary cap and runaway wages for players by big clubs?

....just to name a few.

I can think of many other things that have damaged the league before we even get to US ownership that have more to do with the parties on the British Isles themselves than any foreign influence.

Do you think all those problems go away if we get rid of all US ownership (and SKY TV)?
    Yes?
    No?

And even US ownership which has only become prevalent in maybe the last 10-15 years (prior to that it was mainly the Glazers and shortly after them the Kroenkes and yes, their influence was outsized but not singularly damaging as you are trying to make it seem) - how many of those things that I've attributed above can be pinned down to them or as a result of them?

Let's face it.
    This is all about your animus for FSG and by extension Americans and Americanism in what you consider a British sport.

You really think our club would be devoid of any problems - or at least any of the problems we have now - if only we had a British owner who only really cared about the club?
    How many of those types of billionaires do you think are lying around?
    Didn't we have one of those not that long ago?

Also, you want to have a word with Newcastle and ask them how their last couple of decades with a British billionaire owner just helped heal their club of all ills and problems?

To claim or assert that the league doesn't have bigger problems or more damaging things to worry about in terms of its existence, more than US ownership is beyond absurd.

And the fact is that you know this.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

I just ask for balance. I only ever go on a highlight of US transgressions when confronted with clear and obvious bias towards the US by folk on these British Isles.

Not all evil comes from Russians or Arabs or the Chinese.
    All that everyone has been doing is pointing out to you that the US owners, for all their shortcomings and as bad as you may think they are, are nowhere near the level of terrible that billionaire owners from those countries would be.

And you know this.

And also, to state an obvious fact - i.e. that the US owners are objectively speaking not as terrible as a Russian oligarch or a Saudi or Emirati state-run billionaire company ownership ....- is NOT claiming that the US owners are faultless or the best or can't be criticized for their own faults and flaws.

They're not beyond reproach.

But stating that how a Russian billionaire runs his club or how the Saudis or Qataris get the money they use to buy clubs as playthings would be a problem for most who support this club to reconcile is merely stating a fact.

A fact that doesn't then have to be balanced by a false equivalence 'Whataboutism'...."....yeah, but look at this horrible thing that Americans have done over here"

Two things can be wrong and bad at the same time without necessarily being EQUALLY wrong and bad or the same.

Nobody claimed that all evil comes from Russians or Arabs or the Chinese, but the ethical and moral reasons why most people at this club with its history wouldn't want ownership from anyone from any of their shores are pretty clear.
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Mike Ashley a “British owner” used the club to spread his brand rather than genuinely giving a shit about the sport or the club itself.

I prefer who we have at the moment. Look at where we were under the two stooges. On the brink of administration.

They have their flaws, but financially we’re a lot better off than other clubs.