Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: This Weekend’s Other Games : 4-12-21

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    It would appear not. I don’t watch a lot of European football, but based on tonight‘s game (that they had to win) they’ve got a hell of a lot of rebuilding to do, without any money. There’s still some big names at the club, and I hate to think what their wage bill is.
    Hopefully they fluff the Europa League campaign and miss out on the Champion's League spots.

Once upon a time I had quite a bit of time for them, but gradually the diving, dropping of the UNICEF on the shirt sponsor, the "more than a club" crap, the tapping up and the enormous transfer fees that went against their previous ethos.....they just became less and less likeable - probably not helped by them taking Mascherano and Suarez off us to be fair.

Anyway. Not a fan and hope they slide a bit. The money they have spent (Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele and more) just makes their circumstances all the more chuckle-worthy. There's more to the game than enormous transfer fees.

16 points behind Real in La Liga too. Its the biggest unravelling of a successful team or club in any sport I think. They'll make a movie about it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Hopefully they fluff the Europa League campaign and miss out on the Champion's League spots.

Once upon a time I had quite a bit of time for them, but gradually the diving, dropping of the UNICEF on the shirt sponsor, the "more than a club" crap, the tapping up and the enormous transfer fees that went against their previous ethos.....they just became less and less likeable - probably not helped by them taking Mascherano and Suarez off us to be fair.

Anyway. Not a fan and hope they slide a bit. The money they have spent (Neymar, Coutinho, Dembele and more) just makes their circumstances all the more chuckle-worthy. There's more to the game than enormous transfer fees.
    I'd rather it had happened to Real,now I do despise that club.

We've got to be one of the big favourites, only City and Bayern are equal to us but as we all know , In Champions league anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Yep but sadly they look like they might be in a decent place to profit.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    We've got to be one of the big favourites, only City and Bayern are equal to us but as we all know , In Champions league anything can happen.
    Imagine winning it again! It'd be off it that. 3 majors in 4 seasons, dreamland stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Odds have City, Bayern, then us as favorites in that order. I’ll take that.

One of the "greatest" clubs in the entire history european football. take 1 point from 6 against Young Boys
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Oh I think 90% of fans would agree with you there, but (much like Man United in a way) they're too big/money-laden to ever go away for a long time, even if they had a wobbly few years.

You'd think that it's us/City/Chelsea from England and perhaps Bayern/PSG/Real from the other nations in terms of winning the competition, right? I know "anyone" can win it once you reach the quarters but it would be a big shock to me if a side not in that list manage it.

Who would anyone want in the last 16? A huge clash right away to get it over and done with or an "easier" tie to pace ourselves?

Wouldn't mind Benfica. Good atmosphere at their stadium and I always resented their cutting short our defence of Big Ears by comfortably getting past us in 05/06. Sporting Lisbon would be nice in the way that AC Milan are - tick a box from the history perspective but likely to win the tie provided we bring our best.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    One of the "greatest" clubs in the entire history european football. take 1 point from 6 against Young Boys
    They've quite a "forgiving" run of fixtures right through to March and then are going to be hit with playing the better sides in the League whilst trying to juggle Europe. If they are serious about finishing in the Top Four (which they should be given how small the gap to West Ham is) then they need to make the most of the next few months and rack the points up, otherwise I think they'll be in for a shock in 2022.