Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your team v AC Milan

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Why would UEFA fine us? We get to name a squad for the competition, surely we are well within our rights to select any 11 we wish from our squad for the competition
    I'm sure they get fined for fielding under strength sides, especially when it's a competitive game.
    It was said last season after the middlytiddle game.
    Last edited by teesred; 6th December 2021 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Why would UEFA fine us? We get to name a squad for the competition, surely we are well within our rights to select any 11 we wish from our squad for the competition
    Hypothetical - you're an Atletico Madrid fan - we play a bunch of youths against AC Milan - in terms of the spirit of the competition, would you not be livid?

Not suggesting we should go full strength or anything, for what it's worth. Though I can understand sides being frustrated in certain situations - remember Mick McCarthy made 10 changes to play Man United in the League? Can't imagine title rivals would have seen that as being remotely within the spirit of the game, such as it is these days.

Hopefully we can manage something like 4/5 of our first XI and use fringe lads for the rest, strike a happy balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Hypothetical - you're an Atletico Madrid fan - we play a bunch of youths against AC Milan - in terms of the spirit of the competition, would you not be livid?

Not suggesting we should go full strength or anything, for what it's worth. Though I can understand sides being frustrated in certain situations - remember Mick McCarthy made 10 changes to play Man United in the League? Can't imagine title rivals would have seen that as being remotely within the spirit of the game, such as it is these days.

Hopefully we can manage something like 4/5 of our first XI and use fringe lads for the rest, strike a happy balance.
    You are right of course Sid. I hadn’t thought about it from that angle but you could argue that each club names a CL squad and can pick freely from it.

It’s a dilemma and isn’t right to all but throw a game, even with arses like Atletico but I can’t help being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    You are right of course Sid. I hadn’t thought about it from that angle but you could argue that each club names a CL squad and can pick freely from it.

It’s a dilemma and isn’t right to all but throw a game, even with arses like Atletico but I can’t help being selfish.
    I totally get it. At least it's a Tuesday. Hopefully we get the job done, no injuries, appropriate rehab for the physical challenge of Villa, which (small things to be thankful for) is at Home at least.

Also, as much as the thought of Atletico potentially getting knocked out is fun (and nice to think we wouldn't have to face them later in the tournament) the flip side is that Atletico getting through to the next round would be a stronger challenge (than AC Milan) for whatever rival challenger we have for winning the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Not a chance. Its out of Klopps hands, FSG demand the money and UEFA fine us for fielding an understrength side.
    Some first teamers will be playing. Ridiculous but that's the way it is.
    Klopps first managerial outing at the San siro, can see him starting a few 1st teamers

Porto are gonna beat Atletico

Well, I am very different to most of you here, as in pretty fair about things in general, not overly partizan, so from my point of view, the Premier League being a tougher league, the English FA not giving teams rest to prepare or recover from Champions League game and not having a Christmas break and having already qualified, I would completely and totally understand Liverpool and Jurgen playing a second string well under strength side and I would totally respect him being well within his rights doing that and being fair minded, I know that Simeone, without the extra games and stresses of the Premier League, would do exactly that and even throw his game if it gave him the opportunity to get Liverpool eliminated before the knock out stages every day of the week every single time if he had the opportunity to
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

According to the Echo Captain Fantastic Hendo and Big Virgil have been given a well earned and deserved rest for this game and weren't part of the travelling party to Milan, great news if true - Now we eagerly anticipate that second string 11 who need their minutes, no excuses at all for not fielding one if you read up on the key players Milan are also missing
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Atletico, should have done the business earlier on in the group.

We've won our games and qualified early, we've 'earned' the right to rest players. Like the game in Denmark, how is it fair that we 'have' to play first team players and one of them picks up a substantial injury.

And as Steveo mentions, we have a CL squad to pick from, who are UEFA to decide who is first team or not.

We're coming up to busiest part of the season and will be missing two of our forwards, so we're going to struggle even more with being able to rotate. I would absolutely not be playing any of teh first XI

Kelleher
    Williams - Konate - Phillips - Tsimi
    Oxlade - Morton - Keita
    Blair - Minamino - Origi
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Only team that matters is us, fuck the atletico players and fans.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.