Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Cup of Nations 2021

African Cup of Nations 2021

Haven't saw this being discussed so I thought i'd start it. Maybe we're all burying our heads in the sand and pretending it won't go ahead due to the omicron variant.

1st game is the 9th January and with the final being on the 6th February. 3 group games then Round of 16, QF, SF and Final so 7 games in 28 days if you reach the final in 30 degrees.

FIFA rules dictate players must be released 13 days prior to the first game so December 27 they are gone.

Egypt lost in the 1st ko game last time and Senegal got beat in the final.

Chelsea lose Mendy and Ziyech and City only lose Mahrez. Kepa is adequate cover for Mendy and other 2 are in and out the team so I don't think they will be a great loss to them however......Our loss of Salah and Mane is massive and could be the difference in winning the League or really just claiming a CL spot. If we are only 3-4 points behind come the start of February then we're still in it and the games in February give the returning players an opportunity to relax before they get back into it. Chelsea at home is a must not lose game.

28/12 A Leicester
    02/01 H Chelsea
    08/01 H Shrewsbury FA CUP with 4th Round on 5th February should we get through this
    15/01 H Brentford
    23/01 A Palace

09/02 H Leicester
    16/02 A Burnley
    23/02 H Norwich

And the Champions League KO phase starts 15/16th February.

Going to be an interesting 8 weeks ahead of us.

They can request players to go 27th Dec but its up to the countries.

My guess is the players are here for Leicester away and its 50/50 on the Chelsea game.

Only interest I have is seeing if our players get out without injury and im hoping Covid stops it going ahead.

BBC
    “Africa Cup of Nations: Caf dismisses rumours the tournament could be moved“

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has dismissed rumours that next month's Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) could be moved away from Cameroon following the recent discovery of the new Omicron variant of Covid-19.

The new variant has led to travel restrictions being introduced by some countries for several African nations, with Nigeria, which neighbours Cameroon, the latest to be added to the United Kingdom's 'red list'.

In recent days, some media organisations have suggested the dates of the 24-team tournament could change or even the location be moved, possibly to Qatar.

Caf's director of communications Alex Siewe says neither his organisation nor leading Cameroon officials have discussed such events.

"We can't keep spending time dealing with rumours," he told BBC Sport Africa.

"We did not receive any other message or information from our leaders - nothing such as changing of dates or countries. We did not discuss such during all our last meetings."

"We are on site. We are working."

Africa's football showpiece, which has already been delayed because of the global pandemic, is due to kick off on 9 January in Yaounde with the final on 6 February.

Staff from the Caf arrived in Cameroon this week to organise the Afcon finals.

"An official delegation from Caf has been released and general secretary Veron Mosengo-Omba is joining us in two days," Siewe added.

The European Club Association, an independent body which represents clubs across Europe, has expressed its "deep concerns" regarding player welfare before the tournament, adding that the public health situation "continues to deteriorate in an alarming manner".

cant the play it in the summer?? Cameroon is hot all year around..its not exactly colder in Jan than in June..Its pointless and ruins european football
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

We already played Chelsea at home, that was the disappointing draw after they went to 10 men.

The game on 2nd Jan is at Stamford Bridge or my mate is getting me the wrong tickets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure it is AFCON 2022 is it not?
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure it is AFCON 2022 is it not?
    It should be 2022 but think they are calling it 2021.

Bit like Euros was called 2020 in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    It should be 2022 but think they are calling it 2021.

Bit like Euros was called 2020 in 2021.
    ....and the Olympics too.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Just to piss me off even more they have another Jan 2023 in Algeria.

How the fcuk are they allowed to keep staging them every year or two ?

So there is a world cup Nov-Dec 2022 then an African Nations Jan 2023.

The tramp(Ferguson) never bought players who played in this tournament as every 2 years they kill the team and were gone for 6 weeks plus at a crucial stage in the season