Page 4 of 151 FirstFirst 12345678910111454104 ... LastLast

Thread: General transfer thread, (not just LFC)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Imagine Haaland and Bellingham.... we'd be set for a long time and players to build around

Dreams.
    Need TWO of the 3 generational midfield talents that will be available in January and the summer, our mdfield needs serious investment in serious long term top players, I'd be happy with our landing one in January and one in the summer, Jota and Konate aren't turning out too bad
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Several sources reporting Gomez's departure looks sealed after Leicester horror show, can't argue with or fault them on that, it should be accurate, but Gomez has long been one of Jurgen's incredibly perplexing favourites, so we'll see if that continues or if Jurgen has seen the light

your bias sources you mean. because you want him gone
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    your bias sources you mean. because you want him gone
    It isn't like that, I think he needs a move and we have 2 or 3 potential opportunities to dramatically improve the quality of our 4th option for CB, and given as 2 of our top top CBs have had availability issues in previous seasons when they've had to be overplayed, but (touch wood) both are doing brilliantly this season with how Jurgen and the medical team are managing them, rotating them and looking after them

It would make absolute sense, to me at least, to get a fourth top quality CB in, especially as there are a couple of absolutely top CBs available for fees that would represent very good business, so we can rotate and have all four fit and available

I've never rated Gomez and I think Joe himself has issues with the limited game time he has been getting and been fairly getting on the merits of those justly playing ahead of him, because he was overhyped by too many. What I highlighted at length about Joe was apparently crystal clear in tonight's game until Konate came on and took control of that area.

Here's the thing for me, Joe isn't a top defender, in our set up, with the pressing and counter pressing system and that reducing opposition sides and players to certain areas and ways they can attempt to attack us when we play it really well, so when we are attacked we often control that so our CBs can see what is coming well in advance making if easier for them to position themselves and defend it, the problem Joe has always had is his ability to defend situations when we don't restrict opposition sides to attacking us like that -

There is an absolute gaping chasm between Virgil's Ibra's and Joel's abilities as top class defenders in situations that arise in games in which they have to be reading the game and aware of what's on and react very very quickly and expertly to something that happens that is absolutely NOT in our plan for how we defend and Joe's ability or rather his incredible lack of it in those situations.

My main bone of contention transfer wise and why I kick off somewhat at our domestic cup competition line ups sometimes, is if you consider the size of our squad and the amount of senior pros in certain positions we should be in a position to be able to field better sides and better mixes of youth and experience

I was keen on Soumare, not because I think he is the best player we could have possibly landed, or that he will go on to be an absolute world beater, but because he has certain skill sets and abilities that would make him a better fit as a very decent squad player for our No6 or No8 controller positions across all competitions, a player who could slip in when we needed him to to give other players a rest and be a regular 7/10 helping the team function at its best and churn out wins in all competitions without any dramas while not being spectacular contributor, playing or featuring in 20-30 games a season

We need a couple more players in midfield and at least one other forward and CB who can be relied on, highly competent to be able to seamlessly slip into the side whenever needed, give us 7/10 or higher and make sure the team functions at it's best possible levels, while maybe not being spectacular themselves

A lot of it is skills sets of reading and understanding of the game and the pressing and counter pressing system, athleticism and mobility and passing for me, I get the hump because we have an imbalance in midfield in particular and have always been short in the forward department of players who can play our system and help it function as well as it can do.

Since we landed Jota the forward situation has improved a hell of a lot, if we could land one more who really really fits our system, in place of cult hero Origi and Minamino that'd be brilliant, what gets me is not having players who first and foremost play our system really well. My view is that a player who helps the team play really well consistently whenever called on, without perhaps being spectacular, will help us achieve more than a player who will not do that but sporadically score the odd big or considered dramatic goal

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Several sources reporting Gomez's departure looks sealed after Leicester horror show, can't argue with or fault them on that, it should be accurate, but Gomez has long been one of Jurgen's incredibly perplexing favourites, so we'll see if that continues or if Jurgen has seen the light
    I'd b surprised and disappointed. Apart from the Homegrown Quota issue, there's the intensity of the fixture list in January.

He looked poor last night beside Koumetio. Looked considerably better beside Konate. He has some rust to shake off (as Ox did when he started playing again) but he can contribute - plus it would be a very pleasant surprise if Matip stayed injury-free all season, plus we have the ever-evolving Covid situation.

He's also a player I'd love to see used in a tactical experiment actually if the right game came up where we were cruising and he could be used for 20 minutes when we're 3-0 up - base of midfield. His biggest strength is probably his recovery pace and it might be a way to give him sprinklings of minutes during times where he is out for a while, tasking him simply with "stop a counter-attack from happening" towards the end of a match with a comfortable score-line. I'd never suggest STARTING him there, but as an extra little defensive tool tasked with being willing to accept a yellow if needed, I'd like to see it, even if it's only once to see it's a terrible idea, but having actually tried it. Has the dual effect of saving us from bringing on another "true" midfielder if we are hit with injury for the particular game we do it in.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Liverpool are serious contenders in the race for Erling Haaland’s signature, reports Sky Germany.

The scramble to sign the hottest property in European football from Borussia Dortmund when his £68million release clause comes into force next season is already in full swing, and Liverpool are said to be in the mix.
    Thinks it’s the agent bumping up his price with those rumours.

But it has been reported on twitter as a reliable source

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I'd b surprised and disappointed. Apart from the Homegrown Quota issue, there's the intensity of the fixture list in January.
    As my post states there are 2 or 3 top CBs available at very good value in January because of their contract situations, Gomez is not, never has been and never will be a top CB. If we can move him on, get a better CB in so we have four top CBs moving forward for said busy fixture list, then that's surely the best option all round

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    As my post states there are 2 or 3 top CBs available at very good value in January because of their contract situations, Gomez is not, never has been and never will be a top CB. If we can move him on, get a better CB in so we have four top CBs moving forward for said busy fixture list, then that's surely the best option all round
    I'd rather a centre-back have a full pre-season with us if we intended to acquire a new one, rather than dropping them into a side that is missing two of the front three to bail us out for a chunk of January, but I respect your opinion.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Would you sell Salah for Haaland and Bellingham? Serious question?