Page 141 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4191131134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1510

Thread: General transfer thread, (not just LFC)

It has to be remembered that in the last 2 seasons FSG have let a player in a key area go and failed to replace them and it has cost us very dearly, selling and not replacing Lovren and letting Gini leave and not replacing him were both examples of a false economy, had we replaced both, we would have created greater revenue than the revenue we lost through not replacing them, revenue as in immediate revenue for winning competitions or further participation in them and future revenue from 'building the brand' through winning further top honours
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

100% correct.

Cost us a title defence and if not for Alisson scoring a last gasp winner - a CL berth

Not replacing Gini (and we didn’t) sadly cost us what would likely have ended in an unprecedented quadruple or at least an historic treble. Entered the final with 2 players well below full fitness and dropped too many points with Thiago missing.

I suppose not replacing Gini made Courtois play out of his skin too

No - no of course not but many of us felt the midfield was light. I know it’s not easy, but you can’t rely on Keita or Oxlade and Elliott, superb though he looked was a child going into this season. Effectively we were relying on the main 3 staying fit all season. A huge ask when you look at how we play.

Such a shame Gini went and wasted his career into the bargain. Think we all know, had he stayed or been replaced we surely make up a few points here and there and crucially have a fitter squad for that final.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    No - no of course not but many of us felt the midfield was light.
    Myself included but, after coming within a hairs breath of being ULTIMATE LEGENDS OF ALL TIME, doing it with a squad that was one player short of being undisputedly the best squad in the world, with being Afcon affected, covid regulations affected, Rodri VAR affected, can we stop yammering on like a bunch of old women about Gini Wjinaldum as if some kind of crime has been committed against us?

I know it was Real Madrid and all that, and in truth we didn’t really hurt them. We might even have gone ahead and they may have come back to beat us, but the fact both Fab and Thiago play that game speaks volumes.for me at least. Neither were fit imo and it showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Myself included but, after coming within a hairs breath of being ULTIMATE LEGENDS OF ALL TIME, doing it with a squad that was one player short of being undisputedly the best squad in the world, with being Afcon affected, covid regulations affected, Rodri VAR affected, can we stop yammering on like a bunch of old women about Gini Wjinaldum as if some kind of crime has been committed against us?
    We can forget Gini, but he needed a replacing. The fact we narrowly missed out just makes it even more galling that’s all. We don’t seem to learn.

No Diaz in January and we don’t come close either. That was forced upon us. When does the penny drop? You need more viable options.

As mentioned, this season we had 3 realistic options. Milner, Keita, Jones, Elliot and Naby…. Not one of them is at that level

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

We can forget Gini, but he needed a replacing.
    Klopp disagreed with you. Klopp was proven right. You wee proven wrong. Time to get over it.

I’ll say something controversial. I doubt we would have done any better with Gini in the squad. When we played badly he tendered to disappear. There’s no reason to believe he would have changed our ratio of poor performances. And we had very few poor performances as usual last season anyway.

It’s a fair point on Gini and May well be true? It is all guesswork in the end.

As for proven wrong - I have to strongly disagree - Klopp has never been the very smartest around that midfield imo. It was always his blind spot.

However his actions late season - his comments late season and his team selection for the final would indicate he does agree with me at least to a point.

Look at the final starting lineup. 2 players carrying injury and one with no match sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Afcon
    Is moving to the Summer soon. So not just as big an issue.