Page 58 of 151 FirstFirst ... 84851525354555657585960616263646568108 ... LastLast

Thread: General transfer thread, (not just LFC)

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    There's a argument to be had that our midfield only need to be ball winners who give it to the front 3 and full back covers when they bomb forward. Water carriers if you like, but very very important to the way we play.
    Evolution wise, the obvious thing to do is to bring in the far more technically gifted next gen box to box players, who can all play the medium to long balls over the top and on the deck and the switches to release our full backs and forwards, all have a better shorter passing game than most of our current mids, all are very tactically aware and astute and exceptional in their reading of the game, positioning, pressing and counter pressing, and all have goals and assists in them too

Get 2 of those 3 bets in class generational midfield talents and put them in our midfield and support them into it with players with the experience nd know how of Hendo and Thiago for the long term and with our keeper, defence and forwards, what a fucking team you have, a team that can do everything, a team built to be able to test and stretch and beat teams in every possible and imaginable way.

Outplay, outpass, play short, play direct, keep the ball in the tightest of areas supremely well, out press and counter press, outrun, out muscle, outfight every single opposition side of every possible kind of approach
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Looks likely that City will sign Haaland as expected, I'm not sure if it will be a good or bad thing for us, as good as he is for Dortmund and was for Salzburg, he might end up a bit of a Lukaku at Chelsea for them, or a bit of an Ibrahimovic at Barca

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Looks likely that City will sign Haaland as expected, I'm not sure if it will be a good or bad thing for us, as good as he is for Dortmund and was for Salzburg, he might end up a bit of a Lukaku at Chelsea for them, or a bit of an Ibrahimovic at Barca
    Ibrahimovic is an interesting comparison as he looks like a STRONG personality which can go either way in a dressing room.

The main "fault" I look at with him is his injury record. He isn't exactly a 30-appearances-per-season striker. That might not matter ultimately for them, but it's hard to say.

They get so many points per season anyway I'm not sure if it's easy to say if he guarantees that many more or not. He might end up being the guy that gets a 3rd and 4th goal in a 6-0 win for example.

I guess for them it's about not letting anyone else have him and hoping he will get the winning goals in the matches against us in the League - if they beat us twice in a campaign that points-swing would likely be enough - it's a huge outlay just for that calculated gamble but of course they can afford it because they "sell out every week" and have "wonderful revenue" etc.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Ibrahimovic is an interesting one.

Despite officially being a CF he was often shunted out wide to allow for the player the entire team was built around. Going to Barca at that time any perceived success was dependent on playing a service role to Lionel. That never was Ibra’s style. Wrong move at the time. A bit Like Messi to PSG.

Ibrahimovic at Barca (even on the wing) - played 46 - scored 22

Messi at PSG
    Played 29 - scores 8… In France!

As is often the case, our perception is so often different to reality.

29 league games and 16 goals in a totally different setup to any he was used to previously. He had one season at Camp Nou. He was infinitely better player than Eto - but Eto fitted the mould. Tika Taka, let Messi have the ball and facilitate him, with Iniesta pulling the other strings and tap it home.

That isn’t Ibra. He stil scored 2x more goals in 29 games for Barca than Messi has for PSG in a joke league, with Neymar and Mbappe.

It isnt so easy playing second or even third fiddle.

Haaland at City will be the main man.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Haaland at City will be the main man.
    Guardiola will be the main man and he'll want Haaland to play as he has imagined it, Haaland might not like that, I'm really hoping they sign him and it goes very wrong

We're linked with quite a few who are classed as midfielders but it seems very apparent would be employed as a forward in our system

Konrad Laimer is a Hendo/Gini 'pressing machine' type midfielder we're being heavily linked with, does he have the necessary passing skills also one wonders

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Konrad Laimer is a Hendo/Gini 'pressing machine' type midfielder we're being heavily linked with, does he have the necessary passing skills also one wonders
    He was one I looked at on that fbref site recently and sure enough, his passing not being in the higher percentiles was something that stood out. He excels in a lot of other areas though.

Link won't copy/paste from my Phone here annoyingly, may try from my PC at some stage today if I'm not out Hiking/Birdwatching.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    He was one I looked at on that fbref site recently and sure enough, his passing not being in the higher percentiles was something that stood out. He excels in a lot of other areas though.

Link won't copy/paste from my Phone here annoyingly, may try from my PC at some stage today if I'm not out Hiking/Birdwatching.
    We can't afford to continue signing players who aren't good enough with the ball for how we want to play, as much as people don't like to admit it, either that or they just don't see it, like no-one else saw the city dropping off and playing balls in behind, we already have the issue with Fab at No6, teams dropping off and picking everyone else up and just letting him have it or teams setting up to press him specifically and the ball going to him being a trigger -

And again, there is a huge risk of being undone either through teams nullifying your playmaker or your playmaker not being available if you try and go down the route of one playmaker in chief, it's a shit idea I've never liked and never will

Fab gets the ball as he is the deepest CM for us and most teams are boring against us.

Trent/Robbo see lots of the ball too this is because teams play deep & narrow and back themselves to win headers if crossed in at height.

Laimer is a player whose name has cropped up for a while but no idea how good he is.

You have to be good very good to get a game in our midfield as it requires certain skills that Klopp likes.