Page 64 of 151 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566676869707174114 ... LastLast

Thread: General transfer thread, (not just LFC)

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Balls to that.

We definitely need another baller, as one (and he aint getting any younger) is not enough. So many games we could win at a canter with another one. Saving legs for other games.
    I agree. It's the way our midfield needs to evolve. We need better technicians, we've got by with grafters which of course theres nothing wrong with. They've achieved things beyond our wildest expectations but the only way we usurp City regularly is by matching them in midfield, we are better in every other dept. They are way ahead of us in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I agree. It's the way our midfield needs to evolve. We need better technicians, we've got by with grafters which of course theres nothing wrong with. They've achieved things beyond our wildest expectations but the only way we usurp City regularly is by matching them in midfield, we are better in every other dept. They are way ahead of us in that aspect.
    Question for you Tees, compared to say Hendo, who's passing makes goals, what difference has our baller made in respect of passing that makes goals or releasing others to? He can't even play the left to right switches adequately, they're too slow, in the air too long, not into the path of the player, making them have to wait for them and then facing a player in close attendance when they have received them because they're not of the required quality so they've had to check their run or wait for them to arrive

From the evidence I've seen people seem to want ballers so we can see some incredible technique at certain kinds of passing, all kinds of passing, except the type our full backs and forwards thrive on most, so we can look very pretty and marvel at their technique while lacking the same cutting edge and ability to be as devastatingly direct when it is on to do so and to mix it up

People do realise what they're asking for if what was the beginning of the end for Wenger's Arsenal
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

We need midfielders who are every bit as good at reading the game, in their positioning, in the press and counter press, in the air, in their power and strength, who for a start can play medium to long balls and switches that our forwards and full backs thrive off, with the switches being vitally important in a side with 3 forwards and 2 attacking full backs, while also having more cuteness, variation and technical ability in their passing, there are quite a number of such players in the next gen currently coming through

One of Thiago's issues is we don't have players who offer the type of movement that best suits his passing and he can't deliver the type of passing that best suits their runs and movement - Football isn't rocket science - Buy players with skill sets that compliment each others - Pretty straight forward

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Question for you Tees, compared to say Hendo, who's passing makes goals, what difference has our baller made in respect of passing that makes goals or releasing others to? He can't even play the left to right switches adequately, they're too slow, in the air too long, not into the path of the player, making them have to wait for them and then facing a player in close attendance when they have received them because they're not of the required quality so they've had to check their run or wait for them to arrive

From the evidence I've seen people seem to want ballers so we can see some incredible technique at certain kinds of passing, all kinds of passing, except the type our full backs and forwards thrive on most, so we can look very pretty and marvel at their technique while lacking the same cutting edge and ability to be as devastatingly direct when it is on to do so and to mix it up

People do realise what they're asking for if what was the beginning of the end for Wenger's Arsenal
    And when did Arsenal ever get to the next level? When did Wenger EVER dominate Europe?

Back to school with you.

And when did Arsenal ever get to the next level? When did Wenger EVER dominate Europe?

Back to school with you.
    After us in the 80's, when English clubs were banned allowing other leagues to move ahead of us, when did any English club dominate Europe until our league was genuinely and very clearly the best league in Europe again?

Back to school with you Steveo, basic market mechanisms

I know where you're coming from in that sense, he hasn't contributed to any direct goals aside from one but you have to admit he is playing well. His passing and control in our midfield lately has been excellent. His passing over to the right side has been outstanding so I'm not sure how you're working out he can't go from left yo right very well.
    His ball recovery is good too.
    I was as disappointed as you, Miller or anyone for a while but since he's stayed fit he's showing his quality.

City have three very good technicians in their middle. We have one and we have Hendo, they both contribute a lot. Hendo does play dome unreal passes too and has plenty of assists, Thiago is playing passes that are leading to assists or chances. There's roomfor both of them.
    It's not a stab at Hendo saying we need more players like Silva and De Bryne. Our midfield needs to go up a level, its just the next natural evolution of this side.

I know where you're coming from in that sense, he hasn't contributed to any direct goals aside from one but you have to admit he is playing well. His passing and control in our midfield lately has been excellent. His passing over to the right side has been outstanding so I'm not sure how you're working out he can't go from left yo right very well.
    His ball recovery is good too.
    I was as disappointed as you, Miller or anyone for a while but since he's stayed fit he's showing his quality.

City have three very good technicians in their middle. We have one and we have Hendo, they both contribute a lot. Hendo does play dome unreal passes too and has plenty of assists, Thiago is playing passes that are leading to assists or chances. There's roomfor both of them.
    It's not a stab at Hendo saying we need more players like Silva and De Bryne. Our midfield needs to go up a level, its just the next natural evolution of this side.
    I think he has been sensational without the ball rather than with it, I don't think he plays the medium to long balls well enough or plays the ball to the right areas or at the right time a lot of the time, but his positioning has been brilliant, his quickly winning it back has been brilliant - He's more Mascherano than Modric for us to be honest, his bets work is his pressing, quickly winning the ball back and giving it to one of ours to let them try and create something

Edit: Lots of the Alonso and Lucas trick of getting a toe on the ball to nick it off the players toes onto one of our players toes too, and I absolutely fucking love that trick, it's a personal favourite
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 27th April 2022 at 10:15 PM.

After us in the 80's, when English clubs were banned allowing other leagues to move ahead of us, when did any English club dominate Europe until our league was genuinely and very clearly the best league in Europe again?

Back to school with you Steveo, basic market mechanisms
    Nope you are miles off it.

Wengers sides played in just one CL final - count them. Wenger never got close to the next level. you are in over your head yet again.

Don't let Thiago's quality hurt you fella. I realise that you now have to revise your view. Perhaps this wonderful off the ball play should lead him to play alongside Virgil?

Good luck mate

His passing over to the right side has been outstanding so I'm not sure how you're working out he can't go from left yo right very well.
    I have to disagree with you on that, he picks Mo out, but it's too flighty, too driven, in the air too long, played with top spin rather than back spin and very frequently not played for Mo to run onto, and both Mo and trent almost always have to wait for his left to right passes to arrive and because they're in the air too long, there's a player engaging them as soon as they've taken a touch

The lack of back spin is a fucking killer for both of them, it's infinitely more difficult to control when it's hit with top spin, with backspin it's easier to control by a mile and there are numerous different things you are able to do with it far more easily

It's the putting wedge that Thiago lacks from his set of clubs, that ball is driven, you can absolutely whack it, you don't go right through the ball, that creates the backspin, it will go up an come down incredibly quickly depending how much backspin you get on it, there's a point when the backspin combined with the resistance of the air overtakes the velocity, that makes the ball drop very quickly and the ball goes up and comes down at angles, balls hit every other way loop

Nope you are miles off it.

Wengers sides played in just one CL final - count them. Wenger never got close to the next level. you are in over your head yet again.
    When Wenger's team were in their pomp no English side dominated Europe or were going to, because, and not rocket science, other League's were better than ours, quite a lot better than ours, despite the insistence of people in the UK that the Prem was the best league in the world

You're miles off it, mate

English clubs are dominant now because the Prem is the best league in the world, look how well England are fairing in international competitions despite having a shite manager, look at teams like West Ham in the semis of the Europa League

From English clubs time outside of Europe it took a very long time for English clubs to get back ahead of other European Leagues in European football