Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Leicester (League Cup)

Kelleher
    Neco Gomez Konate Tsimi
    Ox Milner Morton
    Gordon Keita Taki

Milner to orchestrate midfield from 6 having his 2 buddies playing flat in a line with him.

There's enough there to give it a go imo

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    And again. How deep do you expect the squad to go where we don't feel a drop off when you lose every starting player from anyone position?
    Every starting player from any one position? That sounds like the whole preferred 11 missing.?

Ok so that would be an extreme event would it not? But even then - IF we are genuinely an elite club (and we are the most successful club in the land last time I checked) we need to at least have players who can push those for a start in that first/preferred 11.. Otherwise we are always hoping and praying for miracle seasons with almost no key injuries (extremely rare) . Seasons where rivals have bans or owners in exile. Is that really our limit?

We need to have a player like Tsimikas for each position on the pitch. Genuine alternatives and genuine rotational options. Not players happy to kick a ball a few times a year and collect their wages!

We have 3 players - Salah, Mané and Alisson - in the top 10 for minutes in the premier league this season.

Only 3 other player feature in the top 20 and not one in the top 10, from any of our rivals - or any decent side in the league at all, and 2 of them are keepers Mendy & Ederson

We overwork our players because we rely so much on the key few players. Salah, Mané, Virgil and Alisson barely get a break at all. If Fabinho or Hendo are fit - they play regardless of whether they need a rest. Why do people think this is?

Salah has clocked up over 1600 minutes already this season…! Mané over 1530… it is too much, especially for players who do so much running.

@Steveo I think its safe to say both Mane & Salah are themselves the chief factor for getting every minute.

They are two hungry top class players who kick up a funky when subbed off.
    We should think of them as Ronni/Messi like in demanding minutes.

Alisson is a keeper and bar a few sprints every game he can play as much as he wants. Rotation here is more of a kindness and affords Ali a mental break.

When you have so many genuine best or top 3 in their position players (we can argue that) it's hard to bench them.

Just wondering on first 11s, a combined best 11 from LFC, cfc and City all fit.

For me and my red tinted glasses

Alisson
    Trent Matip/Diaz/Rudiger VVD Cancelo/Chilwell
    Silva Hendo/Fab Mount
    Salah Jota Mane

For me our side most resembles a peak barca/real with some of the games outright stars. A time where you knew the 11 on the field, machines.

Chelsea and City have good best 11s themselves but we have more Stars. They are more like a Jose/Fergie pl side, if that makes sense. As in
    More consistency of quality throughout the squad. With better back ups and an inferior best 11. Strength in numbers not to knock their sides but as how I see both City/Chelsea.

Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Salah are the best in the world imo. Theres no one I'm swapping for them. There are other brilliant players around but these are a step above.

Hendo Fabinho are midfielders to be considered in midfield with the best of Chelsea and City.

Jota second top scorer in the league, Mane up there and Bobby all compare favourably imo to the best of city/chelsea.
    Would you swap any of these for theirs ?

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    6 - Fabinho & Henderson
    Cm - Thiago Milner
    Cam - Ox Keita

That's 6 players, 2 for each role.
    Fabinho and Hendo have both suffered medium term injuries keeping them out for over 10 games in both of the last 2 seasons, we don't have another No6, you CANNOT include the very promising Morton as an able Premier League or Champions League replacement.

Thiago had suffered medium term injuries the past 2 seasons, keeping him out of at least 10 games last season and already in this season - Milner cannot play 2 games a week - Neither are of the level of ability or availability that Gini gave us in the controller role

Neither Keita or Oxlade have shown anything like the consistency required or the ability to play their part in the pressing or counter pressing in their time at the club to be considered as first choice options, not in a million years, both have only every played well with any consistency in the very short period of 15 games in Fab's absence with Gini LCM and Hendo No6

With Jones, Elliott, Morton to varying degrees of experience and performance as back ups.
    Elliot most consistent my impression from accepting others reports, Jones most experienced and Morton a promising young lad who had a dreadful game the last day.
    It's a tough position and physicality is needed. He could have been assisted playing in a double pivot.
    Ok, let's take your fascination with 4231 out of the equation here and talk about the constant of how we play, we play a high pressing and counter pressing game, whatever formation you operate playing that philosophy, 433, 343, 4231, 442, 4222 one aspect never changes in what is required, you need every single player who takes to the field, starting or as a sub, to understand the pressing and counter pressing system, to read the game very well and position themselves of all our others players very well to ensure that press isn't easily broken (as it was frequently starting the very promising but inexperienced Morton at No6 on Sunday) - None of Morton, Oxlade, Keita, Elliott, Jones, Thiago or Fab when not accompanied by a LCM controller are good enough in the press and counter press or capable of playing it to the required level

Bournemouth, Brighton, Chelsea, Man City, West Ham, Spurs, all games in which we dropped points through players on that list not playing the pressing and counter pressing game to a high enough level or having a great enough understanding of it

We have an excess at Centre back this season. We could do worse than use them occasionally in a double pivot. After all each of them are more developed physically and combative at the top level.
    No CCTV, no we do not have an excess at CB, you go on to mention omicron, well, it is well documented and a matter of fact we are all very well aware of that if Matip has to play too many games in a row, he breaks down, Konate had his injury issues in this respect also prior to joining LFC, Gomez frequently breaks down and isn't anywhere near good enough and Phillips is currently out, with Virgil having tested omicron positive and self isolating and Phillips out, this leaves us with 3 CBs only 2 of which we can rely on, those 2 being 2 we can't risk playing in too many consecutive games. We DO NOT have an excess at all, Konate and Matip effectively count as one, as because of their well documented injury issues, Jurgen has been carefully managing and rotating both keeping them match fit and not overplaying either. Gomez didn't get a look in even when fit, because he isn't good enough - If Phillips goes, we should move for Bremer to give us 4 top CBs and keep Gomez as a utility player

Given the likely circumstances of omicron interfering with team selection, the need for tactical flexibility is evermore needed.
    Given the likely circumstances of omicron interfering with team selection the need to have more players of the required level of ability and availability capable of playing in the key midfield roles that are fundamental to our chances of success this season is absolutely needed. Hendo is a great example, great captain and player in either the 433 or the lopsided midfield 433 in which 2 midfielder sit one No6 one controller, that isn't a 433 or a 4231, he can operate and is our best option at No6, No8 controller or as the attacking RCM as he is so very awesome in the press and counter press, what our squad needs is another 2 players of Henderson's incredible abilities and tactical flexibility, Tchouameni and Bellingham are 2 such players

And there lies our problem I have been talking about since our Champions League win, we have too many midfielders who aren't good enough at playing a pressing and counter pressing game and who are only suited to playing as the attacking midfielder and can still let the press down and create issues by being played, we need players who can play the pressing and counter pressing game and midfielders who can do that and are flexible, have the awareness and tactical astuteness and all round abilities to be able to operate as No6, No8 controller or No8 attacking CM
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    @Steveo I think its safe to say both Mane & Salah are themselves the chief factor for getting every minute.

They are two hungry top class players who kick up a funky when subbed off.
    We should think of them as Ronni/Messi like in demanding minutes.

Alisson is a keeper and bar a few sprints every game he can play as much as he wants. Rotation here is more of a kindness and affords Ali a mental break.

When you have so many genuine best or top 3 in their position players (we can argue that) it's hard to bench them.

Just wondering on first 11s, a combined best 11 from LFC, cfc and City all fit.

For me and my red tinted glasses

Alisson
    Trent Matip/Diaz/Rudiger VVD Cancelo/Chilwell
    Silva Hendo/Fab Mount
    Salah Jota Mane

For me our side most resembles a peak barca/real with some of the games outright stars. A time where you knew the 11 on the field, machines.

Chelsea and City have good best 11s themselves but we have more Stars. They are more like a Jose/Fergie pl side, if that makes sense. As in
    More consistency of quality throughout the squad. With better back ups and an inferior best 11. Strength in numbers not to knock their sides but as how I see both City/Chelsea.

Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Salah are the best in the world imo. Theres no one I'm swapping for them. There are other brilliant players around but these are a step above.

Hendo Fabinho are midfielders to be considered in midfield with the best of Chelsea and City.

Jota second top scorer in the league, Mane up there and Bobby all compare favourably imo to the best of city/chelsea.
    Would you swap any of these for theirs ?
    Lol, take the rose tinted glasses off CCTV

Firstly, Hendo gets in at No6 ahead of Fab in our team all day long if the player in that position is picked on merit, on the type of player Fab is, he's a destroyer really, he can play very well as a DM supported by a midfield controller, Kante is a miles MILES better DM than Fabinho will ever be, in some respects he is better than Hendo as a No6, but his passing lets him down, although better than Fabs, so No6 would have to be a 3 way tussle between Hendo, Kante and Rodri for me, who is also better than Fab, better with and without the ball

Foden makes that team all day long also, either in place of Mount who is vastly overrated or in place of Mane on form and his great contributions to making the play and ability to create something for the other forwards

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    So … Utd had fewer than 13 outfield players available when the got their match / matches postponed??

I doubt that very fuckin much
    According to reports at the time, the filthy had 3 players and some staff members test positive, which The Premier League deemed sufficient numbers to postpone a game they didn't fancy playing against Brentford at a rest and travel and having a new coach struggling to implement his ideas disadvantage

It really is typical Premier League, FA response as it frequently was from the refs association with the match fixing officiating, whenever they get busted for their filthy bias or the filthy's players behaviour as deemed an issue, that'd always try and punish other clubs for it, like when Bennett refereed our game v the filthy at Old Toilet and sent Masch off after provoking him by letting Ferdinand twat Torres with fouls that were both yellows and wave play on when players surrounding refs and dissent from both the flithy's and Chelsea's players was a massive issue, we took the fall, as we have far too many times, then it was carry on as if nothing had ever happened

We have Virgil, Matip, Konate, Gomez and Philips on our books. That's 5 outright centrebacks with Philips & Konate to use over a season. We've had all availbe over weeks of the campaign.
    Philips has proven himself with his performances and Konate doing great so far.
    The fact Virgil is out with covid and Philips is out with injury for a few weeks is just a problem we have now. Neither are out long term.

I've said before my reason for 4231/42X is to get the best 11 players on the pitch when all are fit.

Ali
    Back 4
    Fabtastic
    Front 4

Jota and Bobby get into the side over Thiago or anyone else like Keita. Both are immense in pressing and being disruptive.
    If Gini were here, and I do appreciate your point that he was always available and we could sign a midfielder in January for our Hendo/Fab/Gini profile of player, I'd drop Gini too in our best 11.

Rest/subs/cover
    2 : Milner, Thiago, Keita - Whatever formation, Gini's loss is felt here
    Ox Gini Milner being an improvement on Morton the other night.
    4: Ox, Taki, Origi, Jones and Keita again, Thiago wants minutes

We play more compact from midfield to attack and Salah has license to be the 1 in a 4231/451 playing where he always plays.
    It asks Jota, Bobby and Mane to be a little more like our 8s whilst much more capable of joining Salah.

But seeing as how we lost Fab to covid, then thiago too and Hendo to covid like symptoms, tactical felixibility and adaptability could well be pivotal in winning the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Lol, take the rose tinted glasses off CCTV

Firstly, Hendo gets in at No6 ahead of Fab in our team all day long if the player in that position is picked on merit, on the type of player Fab is, he's a destroyer really, he can play very well as a DM supported by a midfield controller, Kante is a miles MILES better DM than Fabinho will ever be, in some respects he is better than Hendo as a No6, but his passing lets him down, although better than Fabs, so No6 would have to be a 3 way tussle between Hendo, Kante and Rodri for me, who is also better than Fab, better with and without the ball

Foden makes that team all day long also, either in place of Mount who is vastly overrated or in place of Mane on form and his great contributions to making the play and ability to create something for the other forwards
    So you'd have Kante/Hendo/Rodri at 6 and drop either Mane or Mount for Foden.
    I have gathered we have different views on Fabinho. If we were talking Peak levels of fitness and availability I'd have gone for Kante.

But we agree on the other 9 ?